Ship Shop Ships

Should Ship Designers Receive benefits/protections?

• Total voters

Jakaal

Active endo
Hang on a sec, you're arguing that you should have more right to use a blueprint stolen from the game than the people that made it do to keep it?

How would the start of the game have been for you without those ship-shop ships? Not showing a lot of gratefulness for them sharing their ships (supposed to be securely) or even empathy here.
IDK about coldiceEVO, but what I'm saying is that it should be JUST like the dev ships. You as the designer gave up your rights to the design once you upload it to be used in the NPC store.

The only way I can think off how they did it is by testing the flight in the ship shop and ripping that fbe file that is downloaded. If FB can change that it should make it safer. I dont think they can rip it from memory unless the clients send fbe files to eachother when players meet. If that´s true then we are all screwed...
We do send it to other clients as they need to know how to render it.

YellowDucky

Well-known endo
Even if you dont get credits/ore (you should) you should at *very* least get an in game exclusive cosmetic, a different color name or a symbol/titel when your name is visible about your head, and be near the top of the discord list with a special role.

Agonarch

Active endo
IDK about coldiceEVO, but what I'm saying is that it should be JUST like the dev ships. You as the designer gave up your rights to the design once you upload it to be used in the NPC store.
It doesn't seem fair to retroactively decide that these designers gave up their rights to these ships, that was never on the cards for them, never suggested or warned about. Maybe it could be the case going forward, but I think if you asked that of them (give up all rights to your design, for nothing) you'd just see the shops clear out.

There are dev ships in a similar situation - if you use federation or empire ship blueprints that you shouldn't have then you'll see what I mean there, I think that's bannable.

Jakaal

Active endo
It doesn't seem fair to retroactively decide that these designers gave up their rights to these ships, that was never on the cards for them, never suggested or warned about. Maybe it could be the case going forward, but I think if you asked that of them (give up all rights to your design, for nothing) you'd just see the shops clear out.

There are dev ships in a similar situation - if you use federation or empire ship blueprints that you shouldn't have then you'll see what I mean there, I think that's bannable.
And that is something that absolutely needs to be done if they change it so when you buy one you get access to the BP, but I also think that the game would be WAY better off for it. I just think it's doing the game more harm than good when it allows people to buy ships purchasers then can't replace as is when building and modifying are such large parts of the game. It can't be just a few players that didn't realize that, spent hours modifying the ship to how they wanted it and then lost it to one of the tripod turds running around a few weeks ago, only to realize all their hard work was gone and they would have to do it all over again. The people who take that as a challenge and do the work all over again are probably less than those that would just quit.

It all comes back to I don't understand how anyone could expect to keep the rights to a design you already gave away? If you upload that design to be resold in the NPC shops, I don't think it's yours anymore.

Hang on a sec, you're arguing that you should have more right to use a blueprint stolen from the game than the people that made it do to keep it?

How would the start of the game have been for you without those ship-shop ships? Not showing a lot of gratefulness for them sharing their ships (supposed to be securely) or even empathy here.
I'm not arguing anything, simply stating the fact that no one except the dev owns the right of intellectual property of every player's user created content, submitted to ship shop or not, and may be used by other player, according to the EULA and terms of service of the game itself currently.
And why would anyone pay for knockoff BP while the actual owner "shared" it?

Agonarch

Active endo
Sure, of course, designers have got no legal recourse or anything if that's what you're arguing, all we've got is the trust-based agreement between designers and the devs when submitting these things that the devs will secure these or sort it out if anything goes wrong with that.

I just discovered the devs are warning/banning people about this, which makes sense according to the EULA (it's using an exploit to get an unfair advantage) so I'm going to stop talking about it as it's now skirting on talking about ongoing moderation actions.