Ship Thruster Differentiation

Vaulk

Endokid
I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've been at this ship building for weeks now and despite being able to make a fully functional ship, my thrusters aren't firing correctly.

Orientation, position, spacing...nothing seems to correct an issue where the side thrusters fire along with other thrusters. Sitting perfectly still and trying to yaw left will engage BOTH left and right side thrusters...resulting in very little (If any) turning. I've had perfectly balanced ships where the center of mass is aligned correctly but the side thrusters fire when using only forward thrust. The only thruster function that seems to fire correctly is FcuRotationalRoll.

Is there a template out there on exactly how far apart the thrusters must be? Is there a trick to forcing ONLY the left side thrusters when I yaw right? Everything else works perfectly, all the thrusters will fire individually and I've verified that they're all getting sufficient fuel and electricity. I've used the manual name option and set all the names and I've also used auto-assign. I've gone as far as to name the thrusters myself with custom names.

If there's a way to set thruster differential, please let me know.

Eagle

Active endo
The way the Flight Computer calculates how the thrusters should be managed is sometimes a little bit odd. Unfortunately, as far as I saw, it is not possible to instruct to the Flight Computer how it should handle the thrusters.

The only way I found to have total control of the thrusters is creating my own Flight Computer with YOLOL. However, this leads to some challenges, for example to compensate the deviation caused by a not centered center of mass.

In general, the theory is that the Flight Computer manage the thrusters in the best way possible, but in the practice you decide what is okay and what is not.

Good luck!

Foraven

Veteran endo
Seem to me the names of the thrusters matters as every thrusters with the same name gets the same thrust value, different from every others. I had the same issue myself not long ago and going through all the thrusters I have installed on my ship and making sure they have different name/numbers seem to have fixed the bug. As far as I understand, thrusters right next to each others can share the same name, but I guess it's better if they don't so the flight computer can adjust thrust independently.

Eagle

Active endo
Yes. That is right. We have to be careful if we use the tool to automatically assign the thruster name. Sometimes it is setting the same name for several thrusters.