Slow data network

Hi guys,

I'm facing a huge problem while designing a big ship. My data network is very slow, so I have got 5s delay between lever and thrust.
I tried to optimize the networks with more parallel wires instead of serial ones but it barely improve the reactivy.
I've got around 500 thrusters.

Do I need multiple MFC and FCU ?
Do we need a really good computer to fly with big ship ?
It is a bug with the designer ?

Thanks.

Womble

Veteran endo
Are you mediating your lever with any YOLOL? I didn't think distance imposed any 'ping' delay...

No, i didn't add chipset yet. It's like the entire loop of data updates is taking too much time, affecting the responsiness of the controls.

Womble

Veteran endo
Or it could just be the MFC being a bit dodgy... How many thrusters do you have, and how're they grouped and named? This is a rhetorical question: I don't want to know the details and specifics, it's just something for you to examine because dodgy flight behaviour is often down to this kind of thing, and it's more likely than some sort of simulated signal lag, IMO.

Agonarch

Active endo
When you're in the ship designer there should be minimal server interaction, you should be locally hosting almost everything.

An mfc can 'only' handle 50 groups of thrusters, if you've got those with individual names then you're only using 10% of the thrusters, I'd expect a poor response.

If you're talking about the original delay when you first go into test mode then that's normal, once the ship is loaded in fully that should go away for the rest of that test session though.

I already tried to remove and add again the MFC and FCU.
All my back/forward thrusters are grouped with the same field.
The delay appears even after test mode is loaded.
Sad story.

Womble

Veteran endo
Sorry, missed that you'd said 500 thrusters in the OP...

That's a lot of thrusters.

I have heard that FPS affects your top speed, so maybe that sort of client-side performance could affect response time for controls in extremely complicated situations. If your computer (the machine the game is running on) is having to work out the thrust settings for 500 thrusters in a badly unbalanced setup where the Centres of Thrust are not coaxial with the Centre of Mass, are maybe even not parallel to the axis of the ship, and it's struggling to handle the game in the first place, I guess it's conceivable that it could result in this sort of lag. I'm sure the devs will be interested to hear of it.