So ships, Which is the best to start out with?

HarrisonB1210

Learned-to-sprint endo
I'm trying to get a plan of what I will do when I get into the game, and buying a ship is a big deal, so what ship is the best to buy for starters, or is it just better to take time and build a ship? thanks for reply's!

Amos.37

Veteran endo
So far the general consensus for best early game ship is the Hauler, good for mining as it has a lot of cargo space for it's price.
It is, however, pretty fragile and unarmed.

No doubt as the game gets closer to release, more ways to earn money will be introduced, likely making other ships more useful, but currently mining and the starting jobs are the only ways to make money.

HarrisonB1210

Learned-to-sprint endo
So far the general consensus for best early game ship is the Hauler, good for mining as it has a lot of cargo space for it's price.

No doubt as the game gets closer to release, more ways to earn money will be introduced, likely making other ships more useful, but currently mining and the starting jobs are the only ways to make money.
Thank you for the reply, it helps a lot!

HarrisonB1210

Learned-to-sprint endo
My plan is to get the hauler to start with and then build upon it (add cargo beam and autocannon, for deep belt mining and salvage)
That is a great plan actually, it will cost less money and adding armor to it would help too right, but good plan man!

Mr.Silver

Well-known endo

I have heard mining is the best choice right now, but is their a specific method to bring in the most revenue?

Best money method early on is to grind the jobs system or beg for money to get a hauler, drive out the asteroid belt, and mine valuable ores and ignore the low value ores, then return to the station to sell the ores. If you get lucky and find the most valuable ores, you can pay back the cost of your ship after a single mining run. Otherwise it will take 3-4 runs to pay for your ship, with each run lasting 20-40 minutes.

Balance is a work in progress of course, and subject to change.

I strongly suspect that at some point a player will design something that is cheaper than the hauler, but still good enough to be more profitable to mine with than the default mining jobs.

Late game money making basically revolves around building a giant version of the hauler. Some people have experimented with cargo locks and asteroid hauling, but those systems are riskier, bulkier, and less efficient - albeit fun to work with. Mining also gets much faster and more efficient when multiple players work together.