Speed in the game

La_fleur_

Well-known endo
Why is there such a small speed in the game? Inside the Belt, a speed of 150 m\s seems reasonable to me, but when you fly over 1200 km. over a Bolt in outer space, it takes a very long time. It would be fair to allow plasma engines in the game to bypass this speed limit and reach a speed of 300m\s

Foraven

Veteran endo
It's a game engine limitation. Faster than that and collisions don't register for example.

La_fleur_

Well-known endo
It's a game engine limitation. Faster than that and collisions don't register for example.
It's very sad. This speed is obscenely small. If the engine has the source code, they can rewrite it and make it better. There should be programmers in the company who can do this

Foraven

Veteran endo
It's very sad. This speed is obscenely small. If the engine has the source code, they can rewrite it and make it better. There should be programmers in the company who can do this
Do you have any idea how complex this game is? I'm sure they already set the maximum speed the game can support reliably (don't forget the net code as well). However, nothing prevent them to add other means of travel later on. For sure, the 150 m/s is unlikely to change any time soon.

We are already fortunate we are not capped at 100 m/s like in Space Engineers (that is slow).

La_fleur_

Well-known endo
Do you have any idea how complex this game is? I'm sure they already set the maximum speed the game can support reliably (don't forget the net code as well). However, nothing prevent them to add other means of travel later on. For sure, the 150 m/s is unlikely to change any time soon.

We are already fortunate we are not capped at 100 m/s like in Space Engineers (that is slow).
I am currently digging ore in Zone 5. The zone is about 1200 km away. Do you have any idea how long it takes to return loaded from there? It's about 5 hours. And at the same time, nothing happens for 5 hours. It's very tiring

Foraven

Veteran endo
I am currently digging ore in Zone 5. The zone is about 1200 km away. Do you have any idea how long it takes to return loaded from there? It's about 5 hours. And at the same time, nothing happens for 5 hours. It's very tiring
I'm not saying spending 5 hours trucking is good gameplay. Heck I left Elite Dangerous because that game is mostly about travelling for unbearable amount of time. I'm just saying that the 150 m/s is unlikely to change due to the constraints of the game engine. I really hope they introduce some alternate ways to travel places faster. Capital ships are one way they will solve it, though not everyone will have their own capital ships so that won't solve it for solo miners. Maybe more space gates would help in the mean time.

Venombrew

Master endo
couple things you guys probably don't know but i have seen in a few topics.

1. is obviously speed can be increased by the devs through the engine, since frozenbyte owns their engine and servers.(which is a great thing since they dont lease them and have to ask permission to do things, and most importantly able to make everything they do fully compitable, one of reason an alpha that was out for 3 weeks was more stable than blizzards last three exp launch days.) but they got a cap i would assume for right now for programming reasons, balance tweeks they are working on, collisions(which is the number 1 destroyer of players ships, not pirates!), array of things, but they will increase the cap speed as game goes on.
2. you have to do your own research but there are ingame ways with your wrist com to take off the safety measures on your parts that will increase speed for slower ships and max out others, draw back is "wear and tear" and the fact you over push it, could cause your thrusters, generators, ect to explode. i myself have not tinkered with this but players do, and the vets have their own specific locks set for specific ships they know that can handle it.

i know this barely answers the question why is it set at 150, outside "devs need it like this for a reason right now" but hopefully some of the other info give you more insight on the speed setup. def check out the ability to adjust values on your parts to remove "safety locks".

Last edited:

La_fleur_

Well-known endo
I'm not saying spending 5 hours trucking is good gameplay. Heck I left Elite Dangerous because that game is mostly about travelling for unbearable amount of time. I'm just saying that the 150 m/s is unlikely to change due to the constraints of the game engine. I really hope they introduce some alternate ways to travel places faster. Capital ships are one way they will solve it, though not everyone will have their own capital ships so that won't solve it for solo miners. Maybe more space gates would help in the mean time.
If it were possible to move ore from station to station without using ships, this could solve the problem. Of course, depending on the removal of the station, the ore would not move quickly. And the speed of its movement would be calculated according to a formula in which there would be parameters: the amount of ore, its mass, the distance of the dispatch station. After starting there, it will move for 12 hours, during which time I can do other things in the game. Teleporters are also needed at the station. Let them be very expensive in production and it will be possible to put the game no more than 2 such teleports, this could already solve a lot of problems

Foraven

Veteran endo
If it were possible to move ore from station to station without using ships, this could solve the problem. Of course, depending on the removal of the station, the ore would not move quickly. And the speed of its movement would be calculated according to a formula in which there would be parameters: the amount of ore, its mass, the distance of the dispatch station. After starting there, it will move for 12 hours, during which time I can do other things in the game. Teleporters are also needed at the station. Let them be very expensive in production and it will be possible to put the game no more than 2 such teleports, this could already solve a lot of problems
I don't think they will make it easy to bypass travel time, that would make it too easy to avoid all potential pvp (both the combat and commercial one) if you can just send your stuff around without having to physically travel. Probably they will introduce contracts into this game with people getting paid to ferry stuff and people around, something that could happen while your are AFK or offline.

Its more complicated than some are making it out. Its related to tick speed. While tick speed is modifiable, its also a limitation of peoples computers. That means you. And its related bandwidth. That also means you. So the current speed is related to bandwidth and processor limitations.

Yes, they can increase speed, but they also then need to increase ticks, which means you get more lag as your computer communicates with other peoples computers and the servers which may not be as blazing fast as your $5000 liquid cooled top of the line GPU arrayed gaming battlewagon.

La_fleur_

Well-known endo
So stop. Many people say that the speed is limited by the game engine, but let me say the flight to the Moon occurs at a speed of 30 km / s, which does not prevent the game engine from giving such a speed. So the speed can be increased

Agonarch

Active endo
That's not indicative of anything - have you tried to mine, or fight while moving at that speed? I've hit myself with my own front rangefinder when travelling at 150 (and I was inside the ship), I can't imagine there's that much wiggle room there for technical reasons alone.

For gameplay reasons, combat is already a bit fast. I've seen what happens with unlimited speed, and it's jousting (that's boring compared with a furball).

Is it possible in a 'jump out to the belt to mine' situation though? Yeah, sure, they could add something like that, where the object didn't need to interact except at either end? Something like, I dunno, a capital ship of some kind? (they're working on that in the PTU right now and we'll see those soon)

In the meanwhile yeah, it sucks, but get yourself a station near the belt for when you're mining and a fast large hauler and you don't need to do the trip often, it's not nearly that bad to bring in ~1150 stacks of valuable resources every few hours, I'd hate to see that get too much easier and the prices drop out due to further oversupply.

People asking for higher speed becasue "it takes to long to get from point A to B" are asking for the wrong thing for the wrong reasons.
Speed matters for:
How does combat feel
How does it feel flying over objects, like spacestation, planet surface

....the other thing.. the thing regarding how long it takes to go from A to B.. that is the size of the universe and the distance between important stuff in the universe in rellation to speed.

They do not need to change max speed in the game to adress the " it takes to long to get to.. issue" ..What you really want is not for them to change max speed but for them to scale down the gameplay area.

FLMNAG

Learned-to-sprint endo
The problem is not the speed but the size of the universe.
If the devs reduces the universe per 5, 10 or 20 and allows only asteroids greater than T6 outside safezone, the player will return and stop camping in origin SZ.

I am convinced that the map size is the reason for the decline of the game

a smaller universe:
-more encounters = more pvp
-less flight time = more profit
-more profit = more warship
-more warship = more pvp

Last edited:

Erador

Well-known endo
There is no problems at with speed limitations, that caused by engine itself.

One of the main reason, as some have already said, is the tick time and collision problem.

It's not related to Starbase or their engine specifically. It's related to the current state of computer's technologies and physical limitations of the hardware. First of all, not everyone has internet with great, stable bandwidth. Secondly, not everyone has top game computers. Third, it will cost huge amount of money to implement servers which will handle such speeds (both, from hardware and software side). Fourth, this game has huge amount of details, and each of them should be calculated for collision. How many parts does your ship has? And now multiple that to amount of ships which is flying nearby you. And all of that should be calculated fast and reliable. (Yes, they already using a lot of perfomance tricks, otherwise it will be called Laggybase)

Geronimo553

Well-known endo
Well thanks to people testing bugs. We know ships can fly around 300ms or 600ms without much issue. But things will not load in properly and everyone else will drop to single digit fps values. So technically the game does support higher ship travel speeds. Unfortunately nothing will process correctly.

I could see them pushing 200ms and adding in performance parts for small ships to do that only. Though I dont see that ever happening.

Last edited: