Spherical Ore Search

One thing that would make Starbase more enjoyable for me would be to improve how we search for ore. While it is easy to find asteroids, it can be hard to find ones containing a specific kind of ore. This is especially true in zones where all asteroids have the same shell material. I think it would help the game if there was a more interesting way to search for ore and I have a suggestion how it could be done.

My idea would be to have a spherical scanner, in addition to the point scanner we have now. Instead of telling what materials are in the asteroid the beam hits, it would tell the total amount of each material in a sphere centered on the scanner. It would have the same YOLOL fields as the point scanner, plus one new one, Radius, which would control the size of the sphere that is scanned.

The scanner would not tell the direction or distance of the materials or indicate if they are located in one, a few or many asteroids. I think a search that requires analyzing information is much more satisfying than either the random search we have now or having the ore simply pointed out.

I realize development has been halted for now and there are other problems many players would consider more serious. However, I had a idea I thought might solve this one problem, so I made this suggestion.

La_fleur_

Well-known endo
One thing that would make Starbase more enjoyable for me would be to improve how we search for ore. While it is easy to find asteroids, it can be hard to find ones containing a specific kind of ore. This is especially true in zones where all asteroids have the same shell material. I think it would help the game if there was a more interesting way to search for ore and I have a suggestion how it could be done.

My idea would be to have a spherical scanner, in addition to the point scanner we have now. Instead of telling what materials are in the asteroid the beam hits, it would tell the total amount of each material in a sphere centered on the scanner. It would have the same YOLOL fields as the point scanner, plus one new one, Radius, which would control the size of the sphere that is scanned.

The scanner would not tell the direction or distance of the materials or indicate if they are located in one, a few or many asteroids. I think a search that requires analyzing information is much more satisfying than either the random search we have now or having the ore simply pointed out.

I realize development has been halted for now and there are other problems many players would consider more serious. However, I had a idea I thought might solve this one problem, so I made this suggestion.
All these ideas are not new. When lunar mining was introduced, I lost the need to mine ore inside the belt. I turn on the moon miner and do nothing else. The miner mines the ore himself. Now the game is in a frozen state and it is not clear what will happen next with the game.

La_fleur_

Well-known endo
Lunar mining and mining in the laundry need to be completely changed. It is necessary that the ores are presented not as they are now, but in certain clusters to create points of interest for players. For example, on the Northern Polis of Elysium there would be places with snow caps where Lucium could be mined with a high probability, mountain ranges would give them Sodium, and so on. That is, the introduction of local biomes on the Moons is needed to attract players to them. This will give both meaningful PVP and meaningful PVE. I'm not sure we'll ever be able to see it

Oobfiche

Well-known endo
all of that is basically planned. ore hotspots, the gas hotspots. everything. we only got what we have now as the first step.