Starbase freezing after a few minutes in game

Joelfett

Well-known endo
When ever i load starbase, after a few minutes it just freezes, preventing me from playing it, not only that, but when i get out of the game, steam is closed down. Any idea how to fix it?

Haz

Endokid
Yep i just experienced this twice and can confirm it closes steam down. No error messages, the game just hangs. Maybe something is closing steam down which then causes the game to freeze? I dont think ive ever closed steam while playing a game on steam, so unsure about this

Joelfett

Well-known endo
Fixed: Disabled steam overlay for all games in Steam>Settings>In-Game and then unchecking the box saying "Enable the steam overlay while in-game, and setting the setting "Steam networking" to never

Same here. Game hangs after some minutes and steam gets closed down. Has nothing to do with steam overlay. Also, I have tried starting steam with -no-browser option, but starbase seems to need steamwebhelper.exe :ROFLMAO:

UPDATE: I think it has to do with server load/network as the issue is much more prevalent in stations.

Last edited:
From another thread:

JoelFB:
# STEAM CRASH / GAME FREEZE We are aware of the game crash/freeze that also affects your Steam client, we're looking into it! In the interim, it might be worth to do the following:

Starbase game settings:
* Use low settings & use Windowed mode

Steam settings:
* Steam -> Settings -> In-Game -> Disable "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game" (Multiple reports of helping)
* Steam -> Settings -> In-Game -> Steam Networking, change Default to Never (Multiple reports of helping)

More experimental/advanced:
* Set "High Priority" for the starbase.exe task in Task Manager -> Details and find starbase.exe, right-click, and "Set Priority" to High

People have reported less crashes with these settings.

Update 16:40 UTC: This problem is related to the Steam client; we are talking to Steam and are working with them towards a hotfix (which probably will take some time given the nature of the problem). We'll provide updates here as we get more information.
Pasted from Discord #Known-issues, I hope that this helps.