Starbase Progress Notes: Week 14 (2022)

DivineEvil

Well-known endo
For me personally, Inventory V2 is one of the most essential breakthroughs for now. There's a lot that relies on it. I know players have greatly different playstyles, so they also have the preferences for what they look forward to... but I have to assume a great part of players would agree the infinite stacks and icons is unsettling. A system that works on limitations of mass and space would make it better for everyone regardless of the player's role.

Right now I'm mostly worried about the modular crates. It is also something people desire, but I fear they can eliminate the need for all the various alternatives like CLB. I still believe technologically modular crates should be a pinnacle - an adaptive and easily reconfigurable ship inventory, which requires advanced materials and can actually "compress" the carried cargo for a price of a proportional passive energy drain. That would also make them lighter by using materials like Arkanium, Kutonium, Ymrium etc.

J.D.

Veteran endo
My dude, ive been doing a lot of PvP in Starbase in my playtime. I really enjoy it as its pretty fun to fly Ships in SB, there just isnt any ecological reason to do it, as Distuth mentioned.
I prefer PvP that has its advantages and disadvantages, not something that youd only use for trolling, even though thats fun at times too.
Salvaging parts is only really worth it in my experience if you fight against other PvPers since their ships have good parts, but by the sound of it, you wouldnt seem like the person that would fight against people that are actuall threats lmao.

I rather have them finally integrate some good hotspots in to the game for PvP before they focus to much on something that people without balls would use to just annoy noobs.
i never said i wanted to troll. where do you get that? what gave you this idea? which one of my sentences implied that i wanted to kill noobs? when you approach a ship in starbase, you never know if they have weapons, or not, until you are right on them. So, playing this whole noob killing role you are talking about doesnt seem like it would be easy to do, like at all. Unless you know the players who are flying those ships. any one here can carry weapons. any ship. any endo. So, there is no way of knowing if someone is completely unarmed, or not, until the shooting starts. We are given alot of options in creating ships, so you cant really identify a player type even by the ship hes flying. and miners can carry weapons to. making it look like a trojan horse.

So, this whole thing about trolling, in my eyes, doesnt exist. because bob the builder can get all the guns he wants to defend himself. thats his choice. Ill shoot whether hes armed, or not in the non safe zone. The dev team has created the safe zone with strict rules to provide an environment that is completely free of any type of trolling there could possibly be, and then some. Outside is fair game. This is the design of the development team. So, to them, outside the safe zone, there is no such thing as trolling. Because we all know the risk. im not going to skip over someone becaues they chose to not arm themselves. thats there problem, not mine. There is plently of tale about the safe zone. everyone knows about it. if a "noob" wants to leave it, thats his or her risk to take. im not holding their hand. im not their babysitter. I also expect every single person in this game to treat me exactly the same way. im not gonna get pissed if someone kills me because of a dumb choice i made. thats my fault.

I personally want to blow stuff up, and build wealth, and use it for raiding.. But, interpret it however you want.

you sound like you are suggesting that no pvp in the game is viable, except for small areas around ore hotspots. We have this giant universe, and you are suggesting to add more limits ontop of what we already have in the safe zone? lol yea. ill pass on that one and shoot whatever the f i want outside the safe zone and just let people cry about it until they decide to buy weapons and actually defend themselves.

Last edited:

Lukas04

Active endo
you sound like you are suggesting that no pvp in the game is viable, except for small areas around ore hotspots. We have this giant universe, and you are suggesting to add more limits ontop of what we already have in the safe zone? lol yea. ill pass on that one and shoot whatever the f i want outside the safe zone and just let people cry about it until they decide to buy weapons and actually defend themselves.
Where did i say that i want to add more limits to where PvP is possible? ive said none of that. Please, get down to earth again and stop thinking everything is your enemy that wants to personaly remove anything you enjoy fromt the world.
And yes, im in favor of the game having Points of Interests that bring people in an area closer together.

As you say, it is a Gigantic Universe, but that is also one of the games Problems. Distances become so vast that its impossible to find anyone.
One solution to this is of course Radiation Tracking (depending on how good they make it), but additionaly having spots of interests (better than the currently terrible version of Ore Hotspots) would similarly reward people that want to take the risk of getting in to a dangerous encounter, without ruining the game for those that dont want to.

J.D.

Veteran endo
Where did i say that i want to add more limits to where PvP is possible? ive said none of that. Please, get down to earth again and stop thinking everything is your enemy that wants to personaly remove anything you enjoy fromt the world.
And yes, im in favor of the game having Points of Interests that bring people in an area closer together.

As you say, it is a Gigantic Universe, but that is also one of the games Problems. Distances become so vast that its impossible to find anyone.
One solution to this is of course Radiation Tracking (depending on how good they make it), but additionaly having spots of interests (better than the currently terrible version of Ore Hotspots) would similarly reward people that want to take the risk of getting in to a dangerous encounter, without ruining the game for those that dont want to.
ok, i see what you are saying. Ive been waiting on a system for finding players as well..

As far as the attitude held by people that would have their feelings hurt by finding themselves shot when they didnt want to, there is a solution for that. the safe zone. That is why it was placed in game to begin with, according to a post Lauri made when i asked him to really elaborate as to what the sz purpose is for. He promised outside the safe zone is dangerous, its meant to kill you. He said, if a player doesnt, then an asteroid will. His exact words. The game has weapons, conflict is a core mechanic in the game.

It’s silly for me to explain this, I know. It doesn’t make sense to me either because it’s such a simple concept. But, in light of the fact that the safe zone exists, there are still players who are complaining about pvp and wanting no part. So, there is a mechanic made just for them. So, then you see players try to take away the pvp aspect of the game completely ignoring the safe zone given to them. Thus making it easy to assume that there is a community out there wanting to eliminate pvp. Which cannot happen. It would even impact the gameplay loop of the economy that tends to be the focus of players in this game who want to build, mine, etc.

Last edited: