Starbase Progress Notes: Week 3

ElluFB

Forever locked into The Pool
Frozenbyte
Starbase Progress Notes: Week 3
Hello everyone, it is a new week and time for progress notes again!
January 13th - 17th

Design

Features
  • All the Mining Job UI screens now support localization and dynamic key binds in the instructions
  • Mining Job tested, issue regarding a delay when grabbing things investigated and improved
  • Mining Job UI configured and couple bugs fixed
  • Assembly Job visual instructions mockups designed, the visual instructions screen in Assembly Job workstation setting tested
  • Mockups made for various station inventory grid arranging solutions
  • Design for company social features (chat functions and commands) worked on
Stations
  • The stem wall modules and corridor entrance modules adjusted to match the updated apartment grid
Spaceships
  • A pipe section and a piece of cable that were not connected to spaceships fixed

Code

Gameplay
  • LODs of perfectly still ships not showing up until they move fixed
  • Building tool issue solved, already intact/fixed objects would get fixed when using the tool
  • Fixes to sensors and missile thrusters and YOLOL improvements on torpedoes
  • Profile deletion reworked to be more reliable
  • Tool ammo consumption and grabbing tool updates
User Interface
  • When creating a company the owner now gets the correct rank
  • Missing scrollbars added to boxes
  • Name restrictions added to rank creation (max char limit and no same named ranks)
  • A bug fixed where failing to join a company caused all other invites to be deleted
Audio
  • Basic station/exploration music logic updated
  • Battle state detection in the making
Starbase Spaceship Creator
  • Tech needed for buying a ship made in the SSC has been worked on
Renderer
  • Size depth scaling and scale stop distance added for particles

Art

Stations
  • VIS floor decoration in the making
  • Elevator shaft decoration in the making
Weapons
  • Distance scale settings edited on all weapon hit effects except turrets
  • Bolter's hit effect reworked and reload effect added and tweaked
  • Bolter weapon's effects worked on: muzzle flash updated, hit effect modified, the projectile is now based on the rail cannon projectile
  • Auto-cannon's muzzle flash not having audio fixed
  • Debris particles removed from some hit effects
  • Bolt Tool now has a 3rd person animation when reloading
  • New animations: landing with a pickaxe and a rifle along with crouched pickaxe relax in/out transitions
Other
  • High-poly models made for triangle thruster assets, triangle thruster nozzles updated
  • Modular control assets for cockpit/control surface use: Bases with different button, switches and screen that be combined in a control surface layouts. 2 different buttons, 2 buttons with safety lids, 1 switch, 5 screens/progress bar bases
  • A new trim sheet texture in the making to be used with small assets, can also be used to replace some older texture sets in use. Aim is to have trim sheets that are easier to use and expand for needs of future assets
  • Resource Junction: The twist handle width has been scaled down to 24 cm, as it was not usable in certain configurations
  • Tools: Bolt tool textures updated and paintjobs added for the pickaxe
  • Backpacks: Weapons rack, communications pack, Energy booster pack textures updated and paintjobs added
  • Asteroid base materials optimized and adjusted

Gallery
THUMBWeek03_Assembly_job_visual_instructions_workstation.jpg
THUMBWeek03_VIS_office5.jpg
THUMBWeek03_CargoAndTractorBeamVFXEdited_SB.jpg
THUMBWeek03_Starbase_modular_cockpit.jpg
THUMBWeek03_Starbase_new_thruster_nozzle_tintmask.jpg
THUMBWeek03_Starbase_command_center_lighting_combined_2_variation_5.jpg
THUMBWeek03_VIS_office7.jpg
THUMBWeek03_Starbase_new_thruster_shell_tintmask.jpg

Click for full-sized images:
Week03_Assembly_job_visual_instructions_workstation.jpg Week03_VIS_office5.jpg Week03_CargoAndTractorBeamVFXEdited_SB.jpg Week03_Starbase_modular_cockpit.jpg Week03_Starbase_new_thruster_nozzle_tintmask.jpg Week03_Starbase_command_center_lighting_combined_2_variation_5.jpg Week03_VIS_office7.jpg Week03_Starbase_new_thruster_shell_tintmask.jpg

Videos

As always, feel free to ask any questions regarding these progress notes!
And if you haven't yet, go add Starbase to your Steam wishlist!

Last edited by a moderator:

Venombrew

Master endo
absolutely love that we are getting more diverse cockpit control modules. great job!
also did u see the cover for the big red button! so to not accidently hit the overdrive, fuel dump, or possibly... self destruct! love the little things they add as they polish.

Nolfinkol

Active endo
Yeah the new cockpit design is looking more sleek and I can't wait to have all sorts of switches and buttons above and below me for various purposes >:D

I have a hard time jumping in to the discord and saying things some times because I feel like im stopping a conversation from happening or interrupting. its hard to stay active and show im active on the server with out being rude some times. I cant wait for next week for the next cool screenshots and videos. at this point in development I just want to see what I can do so i can make the game better for the devs; and being so far away from the offices its not possible for me to apply to QA work so I will have as much fun as I can from here :D

quantin

Well-known endo
can the game release before 2020's spring?it's seen very completely and I can't wait!in fact, you need an exact target to the players for what and when to finish an EA test game's work because now I can't see the hope. this thing let me very be bitterly disappointed.so,where is the goal?

VenlaFB

Community Manager
can the game release before 2020's spring?it's seen very completely and I can't wait!in fact, you need an exact target to the players for what and when to finish an EA test game's work because now I can't see the hope. this thing let me very be bitterly disappointed.so,where is the goal?
Hi, glad to hear you're interested in our game! Unfortunately I can't give you any set dates for alpha or early access. The schedule depends on a few features that we want to get finished and polished before starting the closed alpha. We're working really hard, thank you for staying patient.

This is the first patch note where I can see the culmination of a lot of hard work!! Those button panels are really flaring my creativity again!

quantin

Well-known endo
Hi, glad to hear you're interested in our game! Unfortunately I can't give you any set dates for alpha or early access. The schedule depends on a few features that we want to get finished and polished before starting the closed alpha. We're working really hard, thank you for staying patient.
Anyway,I will wait till this world first sci-fi mmo be true,thank you.

Weapons! Weapons! Weapons! Honestly the development looks like it's doing very well! Beyond having nice guns I do like having nice things too! The lounge area/meeting room looked especially pleasing! I can't to see what else is coming our way!

Anyone else already imagining the absolutely god tier, incredible looking, and functioning cockpits that are going to exist in this game, eventually like decorated with RGB's, they could even change color depending in what your doing, if you get hit if your mining etc... oh man this is going to be cool, great addition to the game, going to make things so much more personalized, man its going to be great, thanks for that one dev's! I have so many ideas already...