Starbase Progress Notes: Week 41 (2021)

ElluFB

Forever locked into The Pool
Frozenbyte
Forum_ProgressNotes.png

Hello everyone, here are the progress notes of the week 41 of 2021!

This week's progress notes focus on ship ownership and the different ways you can claim, or steal, yourself a ship with new items called Deeds. In addition, the notes explore the various options you will have for repairing your ships, both old and newly acquired. We hope you enjoy these snippets of the Starbase development!

Please note that the "Progress Notes" are different from the Starbase "Patch Notes". Progress Notes are snippets from the development team and what has been worked on during the previous week, and many of the features might not be present in the current or upcoming builds of the Starbase Early Access. Some features, especially in the design portion, can be subject to change as the development continues.

discord_sb__divider_sb.png

Starbase Progress Notes: Week 41 (2021)

❌ = Not started
🟡 = In progress
✔️ = Completed

Ship ownership and different Deeds
Table01_ShipDeeds.png

Repairing spaceships
Table02_ShipRepair.png

Gallery

Week17_2021_Starbase_spaceship_registration_deed.jpg Wiki_starbase_hacked_deed.png

discord_sb__divider_sb.png

Purchase Starbase Early Access now on Steam!

mikan

Well-known endo
Repair terminals at player stations! Good!!
It would be even better if we could make a business where we could get money from other people.

Gknees

Well-known endo
what about fixing turrets? like in current state they are completely broken and cant be used for accurate things cos of lots and lots of problems like they are just weak, they drift a lot they are slow and they can suddenly flip 180 also they kinda have inputlag cos when u starting to pull the lever turret goes immediately but when u stop pulling the lever turret still goes cos of it has a target angle and tries to point at it but u dont want it so u have to make a yolol scripts which set turret target angle same as current when u dont press anything but its a yolol so it still gives you some sort of inputlag which sucs if u want to use turrets for pvp it will be very hard cos of all of this which excludes existence of big pvp ships with interiors crew and etc

also pls add mouse joystick settings it can be good for accurate controlling but it has a huge deadzone which ruins everything

fr4me01

Active endo
So what I am seeing is FB is phasing out SSC in nearly every aspect of the game in favor of using EBM which is broke, doesn't work, and assumes we are all 5 year olds with 3 IQ who can't possibly figure out the SSC.

Are you guys really designing your entire game around the EBM now? You realize Space Engineers already does this? If we wanted to play Space Engineers, we'd play space engineers. You are sacrificing your hardcore passionate player base of people who WANT a complicated ship building game built into this, for a casual player base who wont stick around for even the first week ANYWAY even when EBM works flawlessly.

You guys had a really unique thing going for almost 3 years now with the SSC. Your entire playerbase up until EA launch and even some people since then have used the SSC to enjoy your "game".

Are we really not able to bring salvaged or hacked deed ships into the SSC? We must modify them by hand in the real world?

If you guys (FB) force us to build capital ships, stations, and 90% of ships in world, by hand with easy build mode I am sorry but I won't be playing anymore.

If no one on the dev team has figured it out yet, or played enough to figure it out yet building things by hand in the real world is TERRIBLE. The amount of terrible grows exponentially scaled with how large the thing is you are trying to create.

Before forcing EBM on everything, and then down our throats, all the devs in charge of these decisions should be forced to hand build at least a medium size ship in the real world.

Extremely unfortunate to see this chain of events unfold exactly how I predicted they would.

And is there no way to reproduce ships from deeds?

If we dont own the blueprint directly we can't print more of that ship off?

FB I don't know what happened to you. But as of 2 months before EA launch you guys have really fallen off the rails with the direction of this game and its not apparent why. :(

Last edited:

Greebo

Well-known endo
EBM isn't that bad for bigger things like stations or capships ... if it worked well

Even trying to build large stations is impossible, if you build enough blocks in sequence they start to lose alignment and gaps start appearing and its nightmare to make a large flat platform.

The ship-building system, in space or ssc is pretty damn good. It works, you can do some fun things and people seem to love it.

It's really a shame that the quality difference between the two is so stark, I love the game and want to play more with stations but the game just wont let me enjoy it.

The changes here are all nice and dany but there are still a lot of optimizations due for the Ship Designer Workshop, especially more detailed error messages and the bridging of gaps between beams that occur when using special beams. It sometimes almost feels random when every beam seems to be fine but then at some (seemingly arbitrary) point you get the message "Ship frame not strong enough" or my all time favorite "At least two more bolts needed for sufficient connection" (between two beams kek).
When will this be adressed?
Also, a general user manual or documentation would do wonders explaining the rules of the designer (What constitutes a valid ship frame, how do Thrusters work etc.).

Great updates! Excited for deeds and being able to save my hand built changes to a ship’s blueprint after the fact, and easier repair. Will make me way more comfortable going into the unsafe zone.