Starbase should been programmed with SpatialOS, for MMO greatness.

.Not Trying To Advertise This.
SpatialOS is a cloud platform that provides hosting, online services, tools and a multiserver networking stack for developing and operating your multiplayer game, using any engine.

It runs games in way that let's them scale further, be more complex, and have long-living persistence.

That's what's stated on their website(https:/improbable.io/spatialos). I've been watching there track record for a few years now, playing with their systems, waiting for a game that's worthy of this type of technology and I think starbase is a perfect fit.

Vexus

Master endo
I too thought SpatialOS could be a solution for the problem - 1000's of clients and only 1 server. It is better for what it can do, and is really good for maintaining a more complex NPC game world with many moving parts. Unfortunately, SpatialOS does not help in dealing with lots of stuff happening on one server, because at the end of the day, if too many people are in one location, it's still just one server at that point.

SpatialOS itself is not the future; although useful, it does not solve the core problem.

The next potential solution is what Starbase is doing: peer-to-peer networking. Do away with the reliance upon a middleman - the server - for every single operation in the game world and make clients talk to each other, to tell each other what they are doing. This is a different approach but seems much more promising.

These two technologies could actually work in tandem to a degree; maybe a future exists where these two technologies are unified.

I too thought SpatialOS could be a solution for the problem - 1000's of clients and only 1 server. It is better for what it can do, and is really good for maintaining a more complex NPC game world with many moving parts. Unfortunately, SpatialOS does not help in dealing with lots of stuff happening on one server, because at the end of the day, if too many people are in one location, it's still just one server at that point.

SpatialOS itself is not the future; although useful, it does not solve the core problem.

The next potential solution is what Starbase is doing: peer-to-peer networking. Do away with the reliance upon a middleman - the server - for every single operation in the game world and make clients talk to each other, to tell each other what they are doing. This is a different approach but seems much more promising.

These two technologies could actually work in tandem to a degree; maybe a future exists where these two technologies are unified.
Nice:)

Tumbla

Well-known endo
AWS is the future, lumberyard engine 10k players in a single server on the Amazon Cloud. Depending how many players are in close proximity, the cloud will manage by shifting resources and spreading the workload throughout the cloud. The future is now

AWS is the future, lumberyard engine 10k players in a single server on the Amazon Cloud. Depending how many players are in close proximity, the cloud will manage by shifting resources and spreading the workload throughout the cloud. The future is now
Nice:) I just think Amazon is evil.

The track record of both cloud solutions are actually devastating...
So far both companies could not present a use case for their promises.
In comparison P2P/Hybrid Architecture is well researched and offers a low cost solution for handling large playerbases. Cloud solutions would make Starbase economically unfeasable

Mci

Active endo
I do believe FB have used their own form of distributed P2P cloud server solutions. We'll have to see how it works.