Starship Designer: Ducts and their budget point value

A 12x12 section of duct looks to be worth 3 points of "pipe/cable/duct" budget. Longer pieces of duct are higher values.
Is this a bug or intended behavior?

Womble

Veteran endo
I'm away from my notes at the moment, but my back-of-an-envelope tests suggest that, overall, duct is vastly more efficient than pipe-plus-cable, in the building budget. IIRC, a 2m piece is only 9 'points'; that length of pipe-plus-cable would be (I think) about 32 (maybe 30 because it's only 192cm).

On the whole, I think you only need to fret about cable budget for big ships, though. Small ships can be flood-wired with ducting (as the EZbuild modules do) and you'll be a while before you hit the limit.

Womble

Veteran endo
So, back in the Designer, and some solid numbers.
12, 36 and 48cm straight ducts count as 3 points of cable allowance.
72 and 96cm ducts count as 4 points
144 and 192cm ducts count as 6
Intersections are 3 or 4 points.

2m of either pipe or cable costs 20 (twenty; two-zero) points. Laying both across the same distance uses 40. It's 10 bits per "nominal metre" and you have to count twice if you want both services. Duct is definitely more efficient in budget terms than laying 'loose' cable and pipe. There are probably edge cases where, if you only want cable, (only wanting pipe is pretty rare, I reckon), you might shave a few points off by getting the pipe tool out. And it's easier to drive a pipe and cable through things that are in the way. But mostly, your backbone should probably be duct, at least as far as build budget is concerned.

Thank you!
I'd built a 12 cargo box module surrounded by duct lined beams for connections in all directions.
I'd then copy/paste a few times to build out the framework of a large hauler/miner and quickly reached the budget cap with the ducts. Looks like one or two long runs of duct along the ship as a backbone are the most efficient use of the allocated points.
I'll have to lay the duct separate rather than making it part of the custom modules. At least for modules intended for use in larger builds.

Womble

Veteran endo
Thank you!
I'd built a 12 cargo box module surrounded by duct lined beams for connections in all directions.
I'd then copy/paste a few times to build out the framework of a large hauler/miner and quickly reached the budget cap with the ducts. Looks like one or two long runs of duct along the ship as a backbone are the most efficient use of the allocated points.
I'll have to lay the duct separate rather than making it part of the custom modules. At least for modules intended for use in larger builds.
You don't need to use the ducts as a backbone. Your cargo cans will serve that purpose perfectly well :) You just need to be able to get a connection to a socket where you have a need for power or pipe from a given distinct grouping of touching cans, once you've got that connection into the block.