Strafe Spamming?

Azelous

Veteran endo
A serious concern of mine is strafe spamming. This is present in games that either lack or have incredibly high horizontal acceleration, Overwatch being an example. In this, people are able to spam left-right controls to make themselves incredibly hard to hit (a trainer someone made to learn to shoot at stafe spamming in Overwatch) because they are always moving at max run speed. In a game with horizontal acceleration, the player would be standing still if attempting to strafe spam because they are not letting themselves speed up to actually move anywhere.

An explanation for those who don't understand: say you are driving a car forwards, then need to go backwards. First you have to slow down, switch to reverse, and speed up to your desired speed in reverse. Everyone does this when running, just instead of switch gears you're simply in the middle of moving forward or backward by standing still. In game this is represented in left-right movement to avoid being shot at. In a game that lacks horizontal acceleration, there is no slowing down. In a game with very high horizontal acceleration, you speed up and slow down so quickly that there is no appearance of slowing down. You are always moving quickly and the fast shift in direction makes shooting very hard.

Will Starbase feature strafe spamming?

WolfiAUT

Active endo
If there is the possibility to strafe spam, just yeet them out of existence with the rocket launcher.

Umm... not overly sure what you mean...

There is a maximum speed in the game depending on thrust/mass, and strafing is relative to what your target is doing which could be moving in multiple directions at once? and that becomes a mute point if you include multiple combatants?
And you cant turn/ change direction on a dime, you have to deccelerate first...
plus throw in multiple weapon types with different ranges, bullet speeds, tracking torpedoes etc...

You will need to strafe in the right circumstances, but it wont be the begining and end all...

SubtleSloth

Well-known endo
@Chrome I don’t think he’s talking about strafing in a ship bud. He’s talking about the FPS aspect of the fights. People will spam their strafe keys back and forth so you can’t hit them. I gotta agree with @WolfiAUT on this one, just end their existence with the rocket launcher at that point, or you can usually just aim in the center of their strafe and get a few shots in most of the time if their strafe distance is small enough 😁

SubtleSloth

Well-known endo
Also flame throwers are a thing...
I am going to assume they will eventually add some kind of grenades as well. If they plan on making the FPS part of the game a large part of the experience, I hope they will add other things than just weapons 😁