Structural integrity calculations are just purely WRONG!

I gave up - structural integrity calculations makes absolutely no sense from mechanical point of view... We sat for some time with our local mechanical designer... frame and its vertical support beams are correct in terms of loads application points, yet still game shows errors and poor integrity... all beams are welded up checked 10 times, tried to unweld and weld everything back up... all other devices are correctly bolted to beams... just gave the hell up.. it's not a CAD simulator, for 2 weeks I just can't start a game... I mean to continue the progress... I just want to fly my freaking ship for god's sake... and I want to build it on my own.... May be I'm doing something wrong but neither me nor my colleagues can't figure out.

2021-08-30_11-55-38.jpg
2021-08-30_11-55-50.jpg
2021-08-30_11-55-54.jpg

Last edited:

Womble

Veteran endo
I see nothing much wrong in those pics. You've got all the load where it's adding the most stress (which is, of course, the point when your testing things). I'd be inclined to put another layer of beams to the top of your cans; that'd probably sort out those stresses. Just because something is properly welded doesn't mean the structure is actually adequate to the task you're asking of it.

Ok, mate, thanks, please clarify if I understood your recommendation correctly..
So as you probably have guessed there are 2 layers of horizontal frames connected with several vertical beams in all 4 corners of cans placements, and also some enforcing vertical beams in box thrusters area and in the middle of the large frame area (shown on screenshots)... from my understanding mechanically that's STURDY construction. but, as far as I understood, you suggest to make 3rd horizontal row at the top of the crates? How does that help? I mean I will definitely try.. but

Womble

Veteran endo
Ok, mate, thanks, please clarify if I understood your recommendation correctly..
So as you probably have guessed there are 2 layers of horizontal frames connected with several vertical beams in all 4 corners of cans placements, and also some enforcing vertical beams in box thrusters area and in the middle of the large frame area (shown on screenshots)... from my understanding mechanically that's STURDY construction. but, as far as I understood, you suggest to make 3rd horizontal row at the top of the crates? How does that help? I mean I will definitely try.. but
You have grasped my intent precisely. I think it will help because it will "deepen the beam" that's bearing the load. Yes, the frame you've made is pretty sturdy, but, as far as I can see from the pictures, it's asymmetrical around the line of thrust, in the vertical axis, and there is load "outside" that asymmetric frame. Adding a "roof" over the top layer of cargo cans will even out that asymmetry/imbalance, and hopefully relieve the stress on that one intersection beam.