Suggestion: Give Mining Backpacks One Ore Storage Slot

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
1) When checking asteroids to identify their contents, it can be difficult to deal with the rubble that's created if you're out of range of the resource bridge. Having one ore slot in your backpack would let you vacuum up the rubble and get through to the core without having to spam rock chunks everywhere (and hurt your framerate as you generate them).

2) For new and experience players alike it can be difficult to identify ore at a glance, and it can be tricky, and slow, to always make sure your ship is in range for a quick check on an asteroid. Having one slot would let you pick up and identify a sample of the ore without having to bring it back to resource bridge range. This would also be helpful for colorblind players, who I have to imagine would struggle to identify ore quickly.

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
Amazing idea! I always struggle remembering ores (so far I settled on only mining green stuff), so this would help greatly.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Possible exploit: bolt full backpack to the ship for extremely compact storage.
Possible solution: make the backpack storage much smaller (1/8?) And/or make backpack bigger.
Or make it eject the ore if taken out.
Or prevent taking off if there is something inside.

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
Possible exploit: bolt full backpack to the ship for extremely compact storage.
Possible solution: make the backpack storage much smaller (1/8?) And/or make backpack bigger.
Or make it eject the ore if taken out.
Or prevent taking off if there is something inside.
Could disallow bolting if the backpack has ore in it. Little gamey but so is that exploit.