The fall of Kingdom and Empire

Stanky

Active endo
So we've heard rumors that later in the game the starter factions, kingdom and empire, will be abolished. So I decided to give my opinion on what would happen after they disappear

So let's just assume this is extremely sudden (and this makes the game more interesting if it's sudden).

The first thing that would happen is that there would be mass panic among the two factions. All of its members would be attempting to protect their personal ships as well as gain other military assets. Small groups would immediately form from the original factions. These would be created between members that are close to each other and already have connections with them. Other groups will have their mini-faction inside the larger faction. These would be the smaller discords that have popped up trying to organize the entire faction. These groups would likely separate quickly, and likely they will dub themselves the Kingdom or Empire remnant. The sudden surge of new groups will flood the recruitment sections of discords and the forums. I expect infighting between the newly formed factions to become the superior faction. They will be bloody wars as the remaining kingdom and empire resources deplete. This event will have a very unpredictable affect on the game economy.

The player made factions will likely swoop in and attempt to collect refugees. They will do their best to recruit as many experienced players as possible. An unknown amount of wars will start among the player made factions.

So I'd like to hear the opinions of the rest of the community on this hypothetical event. Expand on my ideas, critique them, or whatever else.

Very interesting! This will definitely be a major spot on the starbase history timeline. I wonder how the two factions will work in the first place. Will they do anything?

Venixer

Well-known endo
it would be more interesting, if they had a storyline in place to instigate the destruction of the Empire and the Kingdom

TheMarksman

Veteran endo
From what I remembered, there have been talks within both the Kingdom and Empire about having multiple sub-factions within the main factions of Empire and Kingdom.

So in theory, two things can happen.

The first being that the sub-factions within the faction actually mostly retain that same faction and continue without their leaders.

The second, which is the more likely part, is that each faction would claim successorship and go right ahead to fight a civil war among themselves.

Unfortunately, I had asked Lauri some time back on whether there's a "Script" in place to instigate the fall of either faction and he said it's going to be based on the player base.

References:
[DB] TheMarksmanToday at 21:29
Is there any endgame plans after either empire or kingdom is defeated or a draw/peace agreement occurs?

LauriFBToday at 21:31
@[DB] TheMarksman We'll have to see, we don't have any script planned but it's going to be mostly dynamic and based on how the playing goes and what players achieve
But ngl, your concern is still waranted, Stanky.

Sendall

Active endo
Fighting. Lots and lots of fighting. People trying to seize stations, most just being caught in the chaos. Some people will likley try to keep the factions together, maybe securing large tracts of space or maybe being humiliated as all but the weakest factions flee to do their own thing.

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
Fighting. Lots and lots of fighting. People trying to seize stations, most just being caught in the chaos. Some people will likley try to keep the factions together, maybe securing large tracts of space or maybe being humiliated as all but the weakest factions flee to do their own thing.
Biggest possible power struggle you'll ever see, it'll be a galactic dark age where the economy is likely to be hugely impacted, large swathes of space will fracture into minor warring states and the major players will be on edge trying to fill the power vacuum. Any player made faction that survives this deserves their existence.

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
haha, just build it anywhere but between kingdom and empire space and it seems you would be fine
I feel like everyone will take a toll. Most regional economies would be heavily affected except those in the territory of major factions who will feel less of an impact, if played smart an increase in profits and economic activity.

Not so sure how I feel about the DEV factions dieing. They seems to be a pretty good idea for newcomers or for players who just wish to fight/ play a space game. I would say they should allow people to leave or join at will (only the faction they join up with at the start) just to kinda promote a more sorta military/CIv life style. but when they swich all their assets are removed other then maybe robot armor and money. (maybe have a way to separate the two)

Saltylelele

Well-known endo
Not so sure how I feel about the DEV factions dieing. They seems to be a pretty good idea for newcomers or for players who just wish to fight/ play a space game. I would say they should allow people to leave or join at will (only the faction they join up with at the start) just to kinda promote a more sorta military/CIv life style. but when they swich all their assets are removed other then maybe robot armor and money. (maybe have a way to separate the two)
Maybe it goes as a starter faction where you branch out from?

NoName

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
I was also thinking this as well. Might be a bad idea to have the two starter factions "implode" since new players to the game might end up being overwhelmed by the amount of player factions.

Commissar Awesome

Learned-to-sprint endo
Starbase is about players writing their own stories, when these factions fall it will be at the hands of powerful player factions, and we will see it coming.

NoName

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Starbase is about players writing their own stories, when these factions fall it will be at the hands of powerful player factions, and we will see it coming.
I hope you are right about this. Because if this is the way it goes I could see it being a really cool ingame interaction/event.

Stanky

Active endo
I do agree that the fall of the dev factions would be at the hand of the larger player factions, but for the sake of my theory I thought it would be more chaotic if it was sudden. This would make the speculation more interesting.