The Problem with Capital ships...

shado20

Veteran endo
well first off, you need a station to build this civilian capital ship...
then to make this ship, cost 10x the recourses of a station you just built to make this thing.
so by the time you make this you have 11x the recourses of a standard station in this.

IF YOU CAN MAKE THIS YOUR NOT A CASUAL PLAYER!
people seem the believe that large alliances and pvpers want to destroy everything, that's not the case, you may get poked at from time to time but big alliances also want the game to thrive. we get new members from tested players.
look the greefers that only want to get there kicks off from blowing everything up are the true enemy here. they are a plague to even the large alliances. this indestructible civilian capital ship is a greefers wet dream! your PvE players will have no problem building a station(you can build that station 10 times for the cost of this thing and sometime through it all you'll make friends), renting out lots and building a small community. and if your smart, you make defense pacts with other like minded stations to help defend if an attack come to town.
if you want to play a game without talking to anyone then get off the internet.
but really , if you don't have a supper expensive indestructible ship , you cant PvE play?
I want this game to build a thriving "building and designing spaceships and stations, exploration, resource gathering, crafting, trading" and yes some pvp.

Shulace

Well-known endo
well first off, you need a station to build this civilian capital ship...
then to make this ship, cost 10x the recourses of a station you just built to make this thing.
so by the time you make this you have 11x the recourses of a standard station in this.

IF YOU CAN MAKE THIS YOUR NOT A CASUAL PLAYER!
people seem the believe that large alliances and pvpers want to destroy everything, that's not the case, you may get poked at from time to time but big alliances also want the game to thrive. we get new members from tested players.
look the greefers that only want to get there kicks off from blowing everything up are the true enemy here. they are a plague to even the large alliances. this indestructible civilian capital ship is a greefers wet dream! your PvE players will have no problem building a station(you can build that station 10 times for the cost of this thing and sometime through it all you'll make friends), renting out lots and building a small community. and if your smart, you make defense pacts with other like minded stations to help defend if an attack come to town.
if you want to play a game without talking to anyone then get off the internet.
but really , if you don't have a supper expensive indestructible ship , you cant PvE play?
I want this game to build a thriving "building and designing spaceships and stations, exploration, resource gathering, crafting, trading" and yes some pvp.
I must have missed the part where you said you worked for Frozenbyte for me to care how you defined and want players in their game.

If you don't like that the game is PvE focused, you need not play either man, its no sweat. The amount of PvE focused players that gonna be playing will give you cooties! Beware! Stay safe out there! Don't let them live in your brains for too long!

Cavilier210

Master endo
I must have missed the part where you said you worked for Frozenbyte for me to care how you defined and want players in their game.

If you don't like that the game is PvE focused, you need not play either man, its no sweat. The amount of PvE focused players that gonna be playing will give you cooties! Beware! Stay safe out there! Don't let them live in your brains for too long!

The game isn't PvE focused. What on earth gave you that idea?

shado20

Veteran endo
then why are you here? why are you not over in dual universe with that PvE mindset. there is a lot more going on over thee when here and the game has been playable for months now.
probably cause they went PvE and the game is dieing.
but hay Obsidian is running a sci-fi (Star Wars) convention on weekend leading up to and ending May the 4th in dual universe.
lets go and see how many show up to that and see this PvE of a game with more content than starbase but little to no pvp has ...

Shulace

Well-known endo
The game isn't PvE focused. What on earth gave you that idea?
There's a lot of PvE mechanics opposed to PvP mechanics. This can change in the future if more PvP mechanics get added, but as it stands in the roadmap it really is more PvE heavy. The end point is to eventually PvP as there is nothing else to do with the ships since no NPC, but most the time you'll be PvE.

If 99% of the time I'm playing building ships, mining, base building, crafting then it is PvE focused, space engineers in MMO format if you will. I'd say even Star Citizen is more PvP focused than this, but that ain't really a game yet.

then why are you here? why are you not over in dual universe with that PvE mindset. there is a lot more going on over thee when here and the game has been playable for months now.
probably cause they went PvE and the game is dieing.
but hay Obsidian is running a sci-fi (Star Wars) convention on weekend leading up to and ending May the 4th in dual universe.
lets go and see how many show up to that and see this PvE of a game with more content than starbase but little to no pvp has ...
No bud, the funny story is that DU was short on money and launched a tech demo instead of a game on a subscription model, then effectively deleted player progress and locked away all of their game loops, mostly industry(which enables efficient ship building), aside from mining behind a credit grind months after "beta" release. They were afraid people were running out of things to do too quick because they did not release with much content and were losing subs. DU was supposed to be PvP heavy but the devs needed money and made whatever they shipped at beta and half assed their PvP system.

It was the corporation/hardcore mindset that killed that game. There was mass refunds/unsubs and their CEO had to resign. The future is bleak over there as their PvE player base is now dead and their PvP population is crying because they made the wrong game and the PvP is horrible. Those org hosted events are the only population really remaining trying to light a match in a cold dead ocean.

It truly is a shame though that game had phenomenal flight mechanics both in space and atmosphere, but the tech debt and limits compounded with game design inexperience led to their downfall. Not to mention you could still log in even after you unsubbed after your first initial sub for months, it was such mess.

Gotta know your player base man, though it won't be as harsh here because Frozenbyte is not running sub model and I imagine has less server expense than DU.

shado20

Veteran endo
If 99% of the time I'm playing building ships, mining, base building, crafting then it is PvE focused
so lets get back on the start,
so you are advocating for an "movable indestructible platform" for griefers to launch there attacks on anyone they choose.

Cavilier210

Master endo
Soooo, would that be a yes Shulace? You're advocating for an indestructable griefing tool with the belief that it somehow aids PvE gameplay?

Shulace

Well-known endo
Soooo, would that be a yes Shulace? You're advocating for an indestructable griefing tool with the belief that it somehow aids PvE gameplay?
Uh sure? I guess? If this is a worthwhile use of your time go for it, you do you fam we all support you :)

Verbatos

Veteran endo
Uh sure? I guess? If this is a worthwhile use of your time go for it, you do you fam we all support you :)
You misunderstand, we DON'T want griefers to have an indestructible griefing tool, since it would make life miserable for ANYBODY at the receiving end.
Even if it wasn't particularly effective, people would still use it because they can be as annoying as they want with no chance for repercussions.

Shulace

Well-known endo
You misunderstand, we DON'T want griefers to have an indestructible griefing tool, since it would make life miserable for ANYBODY at the receiving end.
Even if it wasn't particularly effective, people would still use it because they can be as annoying as they want with no chance for repercussions.
Trust me I don't like griefers either but Its better to just warp away and not have all your shiz blown up than sit and get griefed. If you were completely stationary and have no way out of the situation, I would agree with you.

I am not in anyway saying there are not problems with what we know so far. I know there is a lot of voices concerned over this because the big groups do not want to have little groups being able to hold blockades on them. The problem is, if the civ capitals are destructible, then only the big groups will be immune, there will be no little groups/solo populating the verse except the hardcore niche players.

We do not know all the specifics of the system yet. They could require unrelated capitals to park a good minimum distance away from an already parked capital so there is a lot of flight time between them. There's no shortage of space.

These civ caps are solo player dreams, long term goal commitment for player retention. If griefers were able to just blow it up then no reason to really play the game. I'd take warping away over being blown up any day.

I don't usually advocate for features etc on a forum, but after seeing how DU went downhill because there was only one side of the playerbase in the forums that acted like an echo chamber ended up seriously harming the experience for everyone. If I don't say anything and I see this much potential in a game get squanders to remain a niche game then I will forever regret it lol.

shado20

Veteran endo
If you were completely stationary and have no way out of the situation, I would agree with you.
like a station. many players will build a station and be this stationary. stations are way more effective for any player anyhow.

your just a griefer hiding behind solo players!

Shulace

Well-known endo
like a station. many players will build a station and be this stationary. stations are way more effective for any player anyhow.

your just a griefer hiding behind solo players!
When they make the station warp capable, sure.

Well, based on the info we have so far the civ capitals can still jump away if a group of griefers set up shop nearby.
I dunno, if two military capitals meet do they go into combat/siege mode or if they can nullify the shields of the civ caps

But afaik you are not forced to stay there and bend over.

The advantage a regular starbase has over the cap ships is more space to build stuff and perhaps requires less mats, again based on what was shown so far.

Shulace

Well-known endo
When there's no pvp everywhere,what can we do?Make money till forever?
When there's no PvE players to shoot, what can we do? Shoot other PvP'ers? God forbid it has to come to that.

I don't understand what fun it is to shoot people that can't fight back, there's systems in place for head to head PvP with military caps, you don't want real PvP? I am not saying you have to fly civ caps, I can play and make money till forever, that's what I like, may not be what you like but one day you'll realize there's different people with different mindsets that exist in this world.

Jasperagus

Well-known endo
I think we don't have enough information to get to worried about capital ships yet. The main reason because it seems like the devs are really thinking about how to implement these things and it seems unfair to take what little we know and say this is how these stations will be implemented. So far they have only given the goal of these capital ships and what they want to be possible with them. The other details that will determine how these stations react and how to make them a fun experience for everyone are still being worked on and are to be polished after that. This is also why I don't think we will be getting capital ships for a while after early access happens.

I think we don't have enough information to get to worried about capital ships yet. The main reason because it seems like the devs are really thinking about how to implement these things and it seems unfair to take what little we know and say this is how these stations will be implemented. So far they have only given the goal of these capital ships and what they want to be possible with them. The other details that will determine how these stations react and how to make them a fun experience for everyone are still being worked on and are to be polished after that. This is also why I don't think we will be getting capital ships for a while after early access happens.
True

shado20

Veteran endo
When there's no PvE players to shoot, what can we do? Shoot other PvP'ers? God forbid it has to come to that.
have you ever played a game that has open pvp? most don't kill players farming unless you belong to a waring faction and they are attacking the supply chain.
griefers and small solo players attack everyone for no reason. bigger factions try to protect there PvE players.

i do agree to a point, if the devs think putting in a movable indestructible platform into a game thats fully destructible universe then we have a problem! this is not needed.!

then stay in the safe zone!

but having capital ships indestructible , you can pvp from this and no one can fight back!
You.. can’t? Beginning to think you watched a minute of the video. There will be a ship launch limit and other balances to keep you from carrying an indestructible fleet.
you kinda owned yo

*shows starbase description* You kinda messed up there
It says right there
"Set in a universe of vast scale and detail, the fully-destructible environment and hybrid voxel/vertex-based game mechanics enable simulations in Starbase at immense depth, giving players the ultimate freedom to exploit their innovativeness and creativity. From constructing spaceships that can endure the hazards of space, such as collision and corrosive damages, to creating massive automated factories and designing electricity and data networks, the players are free to do it their own way."
Fully desctructible??? HMMMMMM kinda proves my point.
Fully destructible doesn’t mean “clown on anyone you see and they can’t do anything”. I don’t think they are doubling back on advertising, and if they are, so what? You haven’t paid anything.