The Shutdown Siege Mechanic

Remember! This is a suggestion and has not been confirmed by anyone official!

This Is my idea for something I like to refer to as the Shutdown Siege System. I ultimately hope that my fellow community members will help me develop this system into a refined and powerful siege system. So here it is:

At some point, stations require a core in order to maintain a safe zone. This can be shut down three ways:

Through an inhibitor, a massive construct which saps an entire safe zone from a base, rendering it entirely destructible. If this is destroyed, the station safe zone recharges

Through manual shutdown, a system to prevent overloads within a core. If a restart does not occur within at least a month, or a inhibitor is used during a restart, then the safe zone is totally taken out for a much longer period. However, they gain a very long immunity period (maybe 2 days)

And finally, through system override. During which an override device is used to take over a core. This method only allows damage to players however, and only members of the owning faction can deal and damage to the friendly station. This is by far the longest and hardest method, but will allow for an almost totally undetectable strike.

An inhibitor shutdown, also called a hard siege, is the easiest method of shutting down a stations safezone. Probably the simplest and least complicated one, this siege is integral to war efforts, as it allows the destruction and/or capture of stations. The inhibitor is the same size as a core, and must be either towed by or built into a large ship. This core requires a large chamber (the inhibitor will be a multi block) to function, becoming larger depending on the target station size. Before a siege, the core must be placed near enough to drain the safezone, making it, and any nearby ships completely invulnerable as it extends the safezone around itself. After one to three days (depending on station size) the safezone will be shutdown and begin rebooting.

Yes, this is hugely inspired by Recatek’s idea.

Once the safezone is gone, the assault begins. If either the inhibitor or the core are destroyed, the siege ends and the field either reverts if the defence wins or disappears if the core is destroyed. Alternatively, the station can be captured over time with an override chip, though this will require the core to be defended during installation. After which the safezone will be recreated and the station will be captured by the faction which owned the override (not necessarily the one with the inhibitor).

Credit to Recatek for most of the ideas for hard siege.

A shutdown is similar to hard siege, but must be manually initiated. There are two types of shutdown, a routine reboot or a total reboot. During a standard reboot, an hour long period of low protection mode begins. During this time, shutdowns take down all protections for personnel within a station, as well as excluding ships from the safe zone. However, spawning, despawning, and insurance are still intact.

A total reboot occurs when either a inhibitor is used during a routine reboot, or when no routine reboot has been conducted in at least a month. This kind of reboot lasts for 4 hours, and disables the insurance and spawning system as well as the player and ship protections, though the station itself will remain protected. This cooldown must be waited out, unless it was caused by an inhibitor, in which case it will revert once the inhibitor has been destroyed.

This is the majority of the system. The final idea is the stealth siege, Aka the system override. As of now it is likely unbalanced and easily abusable for trolls and the like. While many like the idea of a stealth takeover, it will require a massive amount of work to prevent trolling, and even then it’s hard pressed to be used anywhere other than the land of fantasy.

the stealth system will be hard to tackle, and I’d personally like to develop it after the main system is more developed.
Any advice is much appreciated, as I’d love for this to be a community developed idea.

Credits:
Rubyyburrocks (main idea)
Recatek (Basis of hard siege)
Saint Porolonius (Half of the stealth system)

Recatek’s system:

https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/station-siege-mechanics.600/

Last edited: