THE space combat solution v.2 (making large ships viable while respecting the core mechanics too) In depth presentation.

Aha

Veteran endo
The way you describe them, you cant control autoturrets at all, as such they shoot in your own ship, through allys if an enemy is behind it, etc.
That is a fair point, not through allies because they would send a transponder signal (and even if they would that just opens up tactical elements of proper positioning "- Fleet engineering, very deep tactics, rich meaning for ranks, squadrons, and individual combat roles. "). , but your own ship is indeed a problem as I described. I already have the solution for it tho.
You could edit your turret to not be able to turn towards your ship (just like how you do it in space engineers simply limiting the turret rotations to certain degrees) and/or give it a range finder, that disables shooting if it detects the parts of your ship. (The range finder disturbance should be coming from the disturbance at the detection rather than the device itself, so as this range finder finds its target -the own ship- that is already far enough so it's not disturbed, or even if it is, it still sends a detection signal that can be used to trigger the -shooting off- and we don't care of the exact values only the fact that it detects something) (There you go engineering :))
These are really easy things to fix.

Last edited:

Aha

Veteran endo
Honestly why make large ships good combat vessels in the first place? They are better than smaller ones at pretty much every other task. And it's not like there won't be large ships in combat if we keep the current weapons either. You still need ships to resupply/repair fighters, do salvage, respawn and carry troops+their gear, as well as smaller vessels that need carrying such as boarding crafts. So large ships will always be there in combat, just maybe not in a pure combat role. Making large ships also good at combat would actually just throw off the balance more than it corrects it by letting large ships become necessary for every game loop. There's also the fact that a few key mechanics and devices are still yet to be implemented, so large ships are not up to their full potential. I would at least wait until those things come in.
Hmm, fair point.
Would a large enough audience be satisfied with fighter-only combat tho? I'm afraid, whatever hype left for Starbase will drop drastically when people get bored with the lack of space combat depth. And as people get disappointed with the fake depth and quit, the emptiness of the world will make even more people quit...
I feel like FB doesn't realize that this game isn't an FPS game. Once the audience realizes that the game that looked like to be an awesome space MMO basically just an FPS shooter game most of the potential player base simply quit.
Actually, wait for a second... when stations and capital ships are there this will be the meta:
Stations, capital ships with tons of manned turrets, and super armored troop transports with manned turrets. No fighter ever because it is a complete waste since all you need to do is capture the station/mobile station. Fighters will be just for some memes and pirating/griefing as single players.

The capital ship arrives, ejects a transport ship that isn't even a transport ship but a ship with 30 manned turrets (the troops) that just won't go down, gets troops to the enemy station. Space game ended, call of duty starts. :confused:
There is no space combat and since there is no space combat, there is no need to do engineering other than economy stuff, and that you do only to build stations and mobile stations to just hold a gun in your hand and pew pew other endos.
In the end, FB will realize that they forgot to target the audience that would be most interested in the game.

Frozenbyte must realize that Starbase is not a First Person Shooter game. The fundamentals are so good, it has great potential!
(i guess my message is only partly directed at you @MoonSet416, I totally like your perspective. Your argument was so good that it made me think deeply)

Last edited:

mrchip

Well-known endo
look i know you're just going to tell me i, mortal, do not understand your divine intention, the 16th wonder of the world, however:

1) the graphs, very cool, but they're completely made up. guesses from your fantasy. nobody, even the most experienced PVP player to date, could come up with those, because they rely on a completely different ecosystem.
Lauri himself, the CEO, imagined a "triangle" of fighters/gunships/ (there was a third one and i dont remember it), and i had my doubts then. This triangle is not a thing in the game. So that should give you an indication of how accurate a guess like that can be. Now, instead of 3 "classes", multiply the error margin by however many classes you want to fabricate. Those predictions won't end well and should not be used for any decision.

2) you initially say this somehow "removes meta"... nope.
meta is when players optimize a strategy (in the case of Starbase, this can be a ship design / ship archetype too) and then stick to that pretty much exclusively. it is the "viable thing", that makes any other alternative that the game technically offers, obsolete. And therefore, its almost like the game never had that content.
So, yes, meta can be a problem.
Changing the tools won't "remove meta". It never will. Adding more variety, will never remove meta. Look at <insert competitive class based PvP game> (Overwatch, League of Legends, you get what im saying). These can have 20-100 alternatives. Is meta gone? Absolutely not. And these games are the most controlled environments you could think of, where game designers have the most control ever to tweak balance.
The reason is, if there is something that can be optimized, and used consistently, thats exactly what will happen. Also known as: Meta.
To eliminate meta, you have to eliminate one of these two. You probably dont want to make a game where you can't improve at it, so the only thing left is the consistency. And this becomes a mess. Starbase engagements will already be wildly inconsistent due to:
- difference of ship designs quality
- difference of skill on both sides of the fight (no matchmaking)
- difference of quantity of players
- difference of quality of equipment
- difference of respawn quantity
What now, let's add a random modifier that multiplies different weapons DPS and changes every 30 minutes. Nope, not a good idea.
So, i wouldnt touch the "meta" thing. Maybe when we get the full picture (all features developed) and we can clearly observe things.
But changing the tools you get will never eliminate meta. It will change it. It wont remove it. If anything, more variables mean its harder to control and balance.

3) Difference of roles
We should not try to make aspects of the game appealing to a wider audience, because that results in everyone having a more mediocre experience. The people that didnt care, might have it slightly better, but they still dont care. The people that cared, are left with a weird game, that wasnt designed for them.
Starbase's strength is how there are so many things you can do in it. But almost nobody will routinely do everything. Each person has a "side" of the game they enjoy and engage with. If I like combat, but dont care about exploration, the game shouldnt add lootable NPC ships at the edge of the belt, to make me explore there. I'm just going to hate the travel there, and find a mediocre combat engagement.
You get the idea. The point is: trying to appeal to a wider audience for the sake of it is counterproductive. We dont need it. The game is already appealing to that wide audience. Each does their own thing. There are interactions between these sides, but you can network with other players to do the parts you dont care about.
No, this wont make higher playercounts.

4) Rock paper scissors
We already have a clear plan for this. And its so much better.
This suggestion, adds several ship classes that try to do the same thing: shoot ships.
The reason capitals and station siege is a big deal, is that it inherently adds different jobs within a single battlefield.
Different jobs, different tools. Dropship, bomber, fighter, gunship... And because they're all jammed in the same space, the interactions between them will create variants made to counter specific types. Rock paper scissors.
But everything has a reason to be different, instead of "small ship, medium ship, big ship, bigger ship". That is just bound to have one or a few classes be predominant, and the rest falls into obsolescence.

5) the common thread between both... threads.
These suggestions seem to want to solve 2 problems that i dont understand.
- combat tools NEED to be more complex, because "duh, its primitive". It just has to. For some reason. There needs to be a reason.
- solo large ships need to be viable (*)

6) "But the engineering is cool"
Remember, starbase is a game with many sides to it. People select the sides they like and stick to those. Nobody is going to develop EVERYTHING thats needed for a complex system. We don't remake GPS scripts, we just copy paste Isan.
Let's talk about ISAN as an example, since it might help show how this could go.
There's like 5 people working on it, everyone else copy pastes the script. To those 5 people, Starbase is a game about very deep engineering, optimization, and pushing the boundaries.
To everyone else, the devs could add a premade GPS block that spits out your coordinates, and they would not notice the difference.
Well, lets just pretend that auto turret related development can't be taken from the public because everyone keeps it a military secret. So you have to do it yourself. Well, lets go! How deep can it... Oh. The sensor gives you simple data and you just calculate the angle and give it to the turret. That didnt take long.

There is a turret that fires by itself. Automated, if you will. And it gets its guidance by looking at radiation. The systems to make it function are very complex and require insane engineering. Overall, they can have some issues with speed, but they are usable.
I'm not talking about your suggestion - im talking about what will inevitably happen when they add radiation scanners. (Unless they become blind within render distance, which is totally possible. Devs have designed everything to avoid automatic turrets.)
I dont have as many issues with these turrets, because the slowness of YOLOL is the sole necessary balancing factor. If you really really hate humans and really really love big ships, you can add a system like that to your ship and accept the disadvantage. But this doesnt try to force itself in the game trying to be viable.

Lastly, about engineering: Remember, starbase has sides. The engineers are on one side. The result of their work, crosses their side, and influences another: the PvPer's one. a PvPer won't care at all how much fun the engineer had creating something (if that even happens). So, while its ok (and potentially fun) to have something that needs to be developed, and then gets used by other sectors (ISAN is a healthy example), you must primarily think about the recieving end, because the development phase is temporary, the developed product shapes the game permanently.

7) A product for nobody.
So. These turrets are inferior to crewed turrets. They are more expensive. They take a TON more space. They inhale stupid amounts of power. They add radiation, which makes you vulnerable.
You would want crewed turrets if you have a crew.
So, you use these turrets if you're solo.
Hmm.
What does a solo player have?
Certainly not the HUMOUNGUS amount of disposable money, ore, and overall combined man hours of effort required to invest in building a large ship, that won't be able to escape on its own, and will be put into combat which not only in a theoretically perfectly balanced scenario is a 50/50, but LOWER because these turrets are in fact slightly worse than crewed ones, or fixed weaponry.
But its not even a regular large combat ship - because on top of that you have to manufacture the really expensive and exotic components for the auto turret.
Hmmm.
If only there was a type of ship, that can be used effectively by 1 person, costs less, can hide / escape better due to being smaller...
Oh wait. Fighters. Well, i bet nobody uses those weak- Oh wait, combat is only done with fighters. Well, damn.
I wouldnt invest in your company if you were producing auto turrets / ships with them, and expect it to be profitable.

And thats it. I could go on about the contradictions, statements backed by nothing (solve meta? increase playercount? revolutionize combat? replace eve? respecting the current vision of the game? requiring skill? cure cancer and solve world hunger?) , the "you just dont get it" excuse that you've used on everyone in the past thread, the excessive THANK YOU, <name>, FOR AGREEING WITH ME (this doesn't contribute to the discussion).
I kinda dont know why i spent the time writing this, your past thread has shown that you dont take this as criticism and/or questions, or prompts to evolve and fix this concept, but instead just reject them.
I guess its just too much nonsense and i don't feel fine letting it sit here, because people go "oh, this sounds cool" without reasoning about what the implications on the game truly are.

If Starbase was moddable, this would be a very fun experiment! But it's not moddable. So no thank you i dont want this.

mrchip

Well-known endo
I just need to point out that normally, if i found a suggestion i dont agree with, i'd just voice my concern with it, wait for a reply in case i have to be corrected, and if im not, just move on. The reason i keep adding and adding and writing walls of text about this, is the constant rhetorics, unfounded claims, straight up bullshit, and complete rejection of feedback. That just pisses me off.

Aha

Veteran endo
I just need to point out that normally, if i found a suggestion i dont agree with, i'd just voice my concern with it, wait for a reply in case i have to be corrected, and if im not, just move on. The reason i keep adding and adding and writing walls of text about this, is the constant rhetorics, unfounded claims, straight up bullshit, and complete rejection of feedback. That just pisses me off.
OMG, thank you!
So lets see what straight up bullshit did your butthurt ego vomit out... so sad... why...

look i know you're just going to tell me i, mortal, do not understand your divine intention, the 16th wonder of the world, however:
:rolleyes: Blunder 1...

1) the graphs, very cool, but they're completely made up. guesses from your fantasy. nobody, even the most experienced PVP player to date, could come up with those, because they rely on a completely different ecosystem.
Of course, it's all just a concept, an outline.
I couldn't know the exact ways especially as it all comes down to how the developers implement the whole thing and balancing and a lot of other factors like crew.
Blunder 2...

2) you initially say this somehow "removes meta"... nope.
meta is when players optimize a strategy (in the case of Starbase, this can be a ship design / ship archetype too) and then stick to that pretty much exclusively. it is the "viable thing", that makes any other alternative that the game technically offers, obsolete. And therefore, its almost like the game never had that content.
Okay, that is right, however, a viable fleet design is so much more fun than a viable single ship design. Small encounters are diverse since you could meet with your predator. Larger scale battles are also much more fun because the meta isn't a single ship design.

Starbase engagements will already be wildly inconsistent due to:
- difference of ship designs quality
- difference of skill on both sides of the fight (no matchmaking)
- difference of quantity of players
- difference of quality of equipment
- difference of respawn quantity
This is diversity and not inconsistency, the game means to be like this even without auto turrets. These values consistently diversify the game. It's consistent.

3) Difference of roles
We should not try to make aspects of the game appealing to a wider audience, because that results in everyone having a more mediocre experience. The people that didnt care, might have it slightly better, but they still dont care. The people that cared, are left with a weird game, that wasnt designed for them.
vs
Starbase's strength is how there are so many things you can do in it. But almost nobody will routinely do everything. Each person has a "side" of the game they enjoy and engage with.
:D, Why o why did you have to make yourself to be a laughingstock.
Blunder 3...

4) Rock paper scissors
We already have a clear plan for this. And its so much better.
This suggestion, adds several ship classes that try to do the same thing: shoot ships.
The reason capitals and station siege is a big deal, is that it inherently adds different jobs within a single battlefield.
Different jobs, different tools. Dropship, bomber, fighter, gunship... And because they're all jammed in the same space, the interactions between them will create variants made to counter specific types. Rock paper scissors.
But everything has a reason to be different, instead of "small ship, medium ship, big ship, bigger ship". That is just bound to have one or a few classes be predominant, and the rest falls into obsolescence.
This is a proper argument.
"Dropship, bomber, fighter, gunship..." Well, meh, it is nowhere near "so much better".
Starbase has the potential to be actually so much better. You have the right to believe that not having spaceships in a space game is okay.

5) the common thread between both... threads.
These suggestions seem to want to solve 2 problems that i dont understand.
- combat tools NEED to be more complex, because "duh, its primitive". It just has to. For some reason. There needs to be a reason.
- solo large ships need to be viable (*)
That is right, you don't understand.
"- combat tools NEED to be more complex, because "duh, its primitive". It just has to. For some reason. There needs to be a reason."
Um, isn't Starbase a game with complex modular engineering?
Blunder 4...
"- solo large ships need to be viable (*)"
Well, you didn't make the effort to properly make sense of my suggestion once again. What a shock.:eek:
Don't even dream of justifying it with your very first sentence, very weak.

You get an extra blunder for this.
Blunder 5...

6) "But the engineering is cool"
Remember, starbase is a game with many sides to it.
Yes, remember that! It should be a game with many sides to it since it has the fundamentals for it.
Nobody is going to develop EVERYTHING thats needed for a complex system. We don't remake GPS scripts, we just copy paste Isan.
Yes, so what? Giving more tools to tinker with makes engineering more fun, especially as the game aims to be very modular.

There is a turret that fires by itself. Automated, if you will. And it gets its guidance by looking at radiation. The systems to make it function are very complex and require insane engineering. Overall, they can have some issues with speed, but they are usable.
I'm not talking about your suggestion - im talking about what will inevitably happen when they add radiation scanners. (Unless they become blind within render distance, which is totally possible. Devs have designed everything to avoid automatic turrets.)
I dont have as many issues with these turrets, because the slowness of YOLOL is the sole necessary balancing factor. If you really really hate humans and really really love big ships, you can add a system like that to your ship and accept the disadvantage. But this doesn't try to force itself in the game trying to be viable.
An almost good argument. I like especially the highlighted part.
If it will be like that, my concept as a whole unnecessary. But I doubt that it would be like that because like that you could make every turret an auto turret without other punishment than the slowness of yolol, and I'm sure even that can be solved with smart coding.
I don't hate humans, once again you didn't make the effort to make sense of my suggestion, and at this point, I will be very strict with you about this matter, this much strict:
Blunder 6...

Lastly, about engineering: Remember, starbase has sides. The engineers are on one side. The result of their work, crosses their side, and influences another: the PvPer's one. a PvPer won't care at all how much fun the engineer had creating something (if that even happens). So, while its ok (and potentially fun) to have something that needs to be developed, and then gets used by other sectors (ISAN is a healthy example), you must primarily think about the recieving end, because the development phase is temporary, the developed product shapes the game permanently.
This looks to be a smart argument but it isn't.
Most of the engineered stuff is being received by the engineer himself. The sides aren't black and white, your understanding is.

7) A product for nobody.
So. These turrets are inferior to crewed turrets. They are more expensive. They take a TON more space. They inhale stupid amounts of power. They add radiation, which makes you vulnerable.
You would want crewed turrets if you have a crew.
So, you use these turrets if you're solo.
Hmm.
What does a solo player have?
Certainly not the HUMOUNGUS amount of disposable money, ore, and overall combined man hours of effort required to invest in building a large ship, that won't be able to escape on its own, and will be put into combat which not only in a theoretically perfectly balanced scenario is a 50/50, but LOWER because these turrets are in fact slightly worse than crewed ones, or fixed weaponry.
But its not even a regular large combat ship - because on top of that you have to manufacture the really expensive and exotic components for the auto turret.
Hmmm.
If only there was a type of ship, that can be used effectively by 1 person, costs less, can hide / escape better due to being smaller...
Oh wait. Fighters. Well, i bet nobody uses those weak- Oh wait, combat is only done with fighters. Well, damn.
I wouldnt invest in your company if you were producing auto turrets / ships with them, and expect it to be profitable.
Yea, well, did you try to make sense of my suggestion or did you just:
Blunder 7...

And thats it. I could go on about the contradictions
No you couldn't, if you didn't even try to make sense of anything you are unable to add anything that is relevant. Hence your blunders.

the "you just dont get it" excuse that you've used on everyone in the past thread,
No, absolutely not on everyone, you might think that you are the world but honey you aren't. XenoCow was the perfect example of someone who is capable of arguing because he didn't go into the subject with the mindset of "auto turret is bad". I saw you tried so much to discredit this serious issue. It is typical really. On the other thread this was your first comment: "just aim lmao " Before you started your rant you even gave voice to your closed mind. I did address your rant and did it very politely that you never replied to or counterargued by the way.

I kinda dont know why i spent the time writing this,
You spent the time writing this because your butthurt ego commanded you to.

past thread has shown that you dont take this as criticism and/or questions, or prompts to evolve and fix this concept, but instead just reject them.
What? Yes, I gave voice to my disappointment of the mindset of some people and that was foolish but I did address concerns and gave explanations several times even when I literally reiterated a point that was completely ignored earlier. I literally admitted that i didn't express my idea several times, and all the criticism and questions led me to evolve and fix this concept and this new thread was born. And i continued to do so as comments came so far. The hell are you talking about? Get out of here.
Blunder 8, 9, 10...

What is truly sad is that you would be capable of making relevant arguments, I honestly mean this. What sets you back is close-mindedness and getting too easily butthurt. I would have totally welcomed your argument if it was for the concept and not my personality. Look at Lionard Freezer's arguments here, they were superb. Why not be like him? Why be a clown!???

I apologize if I hurt your feelings earlier. As for this comment, you asked for it, and it's sad :(

Last edited:
and/or give it a range finder
Thats not possible.
The range finder disturbance should be coming from the disturbance at the detection rather than the device itself, so as this range finder finds its target -the own ship- that is already far enough so it's not disturbed, or even if it is, it still sends a detection signal that can be used to trigger the -shooting off- and we don't care of the exact values only the fact that it detects something
This is a contradiction in of itself. What great work!
You could edit your turret to not be able to turn towards your ship
Oh so NOW you can use YOLOL on the autoturrets? i thought that wasnt possible becourse of the radiation?
(as you can see i now have to mark things so he can understand this with his intelectual capacity)
not through allies because they would send a transponder signal
And this is just plain old wrong!

Aha

Veteran endo
@Lionard Freezer
Okay, why is it not possible to give it a range finder?
It was explaining how it's not contradictory but okay.
Oh so NOW you can use YOLOL on the autoturrets? i thought that wasnt possible becourse of the radiation?
(as you can see i now have to mark things so he can understand this with his intelectual capacity)
Wonder why did you go towards this unproductive attitude after the good arguments you made.
Your intellectual capacity should have noticed that I said you could edit the turret internally. Also, it could be made that you can just simply edit the properties of the turret itself, giving its rotation limits, no yolol needed here...
And this is just plain old wrong!
Why? No explanation?
Since a transponder signal is being sent from the direction of the radiation detected, it ignores it.

I just complimented how professionally you came and made good arguments just for you to -for whatever reason- stop processing info and make blunders while insulting me absolutely unecessarily.
Does it hurt that i counter-argue your arguments? Does that make you start ignoring my arguments? Come on, i was really happy that you went from insulting me to making effort and giving really good arguments...

Last edited:
Okay, why is it not possible to give it a range finder
It just isnt. I could cite my sources but since you dont seem to care to do so, im also not going to do that.
that I said you could edit the turret internally
What you can change internaly you can change with YOLOL. Thats a core mechanic that (probably) cant be removed.
Why? No explanation?
What you dont like it if i treat you how you treat everyone else here?

Aha

Veteran endo
What you dont like it if i treat you how you treat everyone else here?
Did I not answer your questions?
Do I not answer and address people's arguments? Are you mad because your argument doesn't convince me and I can counterargue?
So did you just make your first comment to get me saying "you are wrong and not explaining anything"? -as you guys trying to paint me to be despite the fact that i am totally not like that. How butthurt you must be.
And now that you have failed you just straight up lie?
What a character, wow...(n)

Edit: Yea, now that I thought about it. You certainly took the effort to analyze the concept but in order to find fault nothing else. It was smart!
Once your first try was easily countered you stepped up in hostility level, shown beautifully how you even started your next comment:
Here is what i hate about these posts:
Here you already stated that i have no understanding of yolol and that is why i contradict myself of which i didn't.
I explained to you why that isn't the case (that you already ignored later again implying that I don't comprehend yolol, while you said yourself you have no understanding of it :D) also addressed your other points.
After this attempt failed too came:

@Aha If you want to directly remove core mechaniks then just say so directly.
The way you describe them, you cant control autoturrets at all, as such they shoot into your own ship, through allys if an enemy is behind it, etc.
This has already been seen as possible in other SB Videos if some people cant comprehend yolol.
Total ignorance, but with a good try, it was actually helpful that you pointed out the shooting your own ship issue.
Of course, that got addressed as well, and at this point, you were so mad that I can address the issues you raise that you gave up and just resolved yourself in insulting me again and falsely stating that i don't care.
You did fool me at the beginning, but busted! ...yourself.

So far 2 people made really good arguments against my suggestion. @MoonSet416 and actually @mrchip. I have to admit, he did even if 90% of it was rubbish.

Last edited:
THANK YOU, <name>, FOR AGREEING WITH ME (this doesn't contribute to the discussion).
OMG, thank you!
I mean... i bet that @Aha s reply is sacasm but still... xD
Why? No explanation?
Why are you quoting your OWN POST and are caling that a blunder?
a viable fleet design is so much more fun than a viable single ship design
Once again saying that YOUR OPPINION IS ALWAYS RIGHT, NO MATTER WHO ASKS. I myself doesnt think this is right. Dont use only your oppinion and say that its the ONLY TRUTH THERE IS. Thats just WRONG.
Btw to the post just above this one... I expected you to have the mental capacity that, if you dont define something in an explanation, that it is not an atribute of that thing. Its the same as to say "I want a gun that can hit anyone!" and then someone says "can it hit me through a wall?". If you now cant hit hit him trough a wall, your definition is now not right, since its supposed to hit anyone, no matter what. and what is it if its not right? its WRONG. Exactly.
The way you "Explain" doesnt define things then. And if you dont define things then you dont explain at all. So can you at least try to be at a level of a middelschooler?
Now back to my quoting...
Larger scale battles are also much more fun
Again... This might be your oppinion but i myself like to do assasinations. I enjoy large scale battles aswell but i much more enjoy sneaking around. So once again: Since this statement doesnt apply to everyone it is... Wrong!
Why o why did you have to make yourself to be a laughingstock.
Blunder 3...
Why? Hes right. Just look at minecraft as an example. Who is building computers using redstone in minecraft and who really enjoys building huge megastructures? Most likely not the same person! Same can be applyed on SB. Most people dont even have enought time to go really deep into both.
This is diversity and not inconsistency, the game means to be like this even without auto turrets. These values consistently diversify the game. It's consistent
Different definitions of inconsistency. Chip probably meant that if you fight a random person these atributes change each time drasticly. This isnt a bad thing, hes just saying that your class system doesnt work if there are almost infinet different ships that cant be put into the same class.
Well, meh, it is nowhere near "so much better".
Starbase has the potential to be actually so much better. You have the right to believe that not having spaceships in a space game is okay.
Well then, Please DEFINE your definition of way much better. Chip did, you didnt. Why would your solution be so much better?
To the second part... He didnt say that, nor mentioned it.
Well, you didn't make the effort to properly make sense of my suggestion once again. What a shock.:eek:
Don't even dream of justifying it with your very first sentence, very weak.
Btw, This is citing sources. Goes back up in this post. Let me quote Aha once again.
Did I not answer your questions?
Yes... yes you didnt. AS SEEN HERE!^ He even said himself that he didnt understand. becourse you once again didnt define.
Yes, so what? Giving more tools to tinker with makes engineering more fun, especially as the game aims to be very modular.
Your autoturrets cant be engineered with, as you cant use yolol on it. So this is just plain offtopic. In an exam it would be marked as wrong.
and I'm sure even that can be solved with smart coding.
As i said bevore, you dont know yolol enough. You would have around 1 second delay between the point where the turret thinks the ship is and where the ship is. Thats a lot of inacuracy, so manuvarable craft could evade such turrets completly. Even half a second is inacurate enought. And we dont even know how they will add rad sensors in the first place.
Most of the engineered stuff is being received by the engineer himself
Wut? Hes just saying, that if you make a product that you cant use well, No one will use it. As such, if there is no reason (becourse of the reasons he said and im too tired to quote, just look at his post and leave a like and sub... Nvm) to use a device like autoturrets, then no one will be using them. If no one is using said device we dont need it in the game.
No, absolutely not on everyone
Well on anyone that posted a opinion that described how you defined it, and that werent the deitys that could read your mind and know exactly what you WANTED IT TO BE instead of how YOU DEFINED IT TO BE.
butthurt ego commanded you to
Well, I myself, think of this as an enjoyable actual use of knowlage that school taught me. How to cite sources. How to argument (Which is ALWAYS with the pro and con, not just one standpoint(look at posts bevore this, here im not arguing but just listing inconsitencies)). How to generaly look at flat earthers or antivacs ppl. Becourse i get the same vibe here. No public sources or anything. And yes, your fantasy isnt a public source. (tho this doesnt exactly apply here as its about completly different themes, just getting that vibe, thats all)
No you couldn't,
Btw, this is a funny one. Becourse i just did!
What is truly sad is that you would be capable of making relevant arguments, I honestly mean this. What sets you back is close-mindedness and getting too easily butthurt.
Doesnt this also apply to you? Why are you still argumenting here if not? For you to tell everyone that you are right and anyone else is wrong?
Look at Lionard Freezer's arguments here, they were superb. Why not be like him?
Aww ; )... Didnt see this bevore
I apologize if I hurt your feelings earlier.
Apologie accepted. Just dont tell others passive agressivly that they are retarded. If you do, then people like me give you the same treatment.
Well then...
Pretty sure this covers most. Started almost an hour ago i think... well 47 minutes. This was supposed to cover the 7 points @mrchip mentioned but then evolved into... idk. This isnt a rant, neither a normal post. Simply... boredom? Perfectionalism? Pragmatism? My ego thought it was dmged becourse this is against logic and im a very logic controlled person? Well i had a fun time writing this, with 20% of the time laughing which probably shows that im sleep deprived. As such i should stop writing... Tho i really wonder if i wrote more in this post that in my last english exam...
Edit: Some spelling mistakes. Still belive there are a lot more in this... so please ignore them. Thanks! Now at the 1:04 hour mark... did indeed take an hour ;(

Last edited:

Aha

Veteran endo
I mean... i bet that @Aha s reply is sacasm but still... xD

Why? No explanation?

Why are you quoting your OWN POST and are caling that a blunder?

Once again saying that YOUR OPPINION IS ALWAYS RIGHT, NO MATTER WHO ASKS. I myself doesnt think this is right. Dont use only your oppinion and say that its the ONLY TRUTH THERE IS. Thats just WRONG.
Btw to the post just above this one... I expected you to have the mental capacity that, if you dont define something in an explanation, that it is not an atribute of that thing. Its the same as to say "I want a gun that can hit anyone!" and then someone says "can it hit me through a wall?". If you now cant hit hit him trough a wall, your definition is now not right, since its supposed to hit anyone, no matter what. and what is it if its not right? its WRONG. Exactly.
The way you "Explain" doesnt define things then. And if you dont define things then you dont explain at all. So can you at least try to be at a level of a middelschooler?
Now back to my quoting...

Again... This might be your oppinion but i myself like to do assasinations. I enjoy large scale battles aswell but i much more enjoy sneaking around. So once again: Since this statement doesnt apply to everyone it is... Wrong!

Why? Hes right. Just look at minecraft as an example. Who is building computers using redstone in minecraft and who really enjoys building huge megastructures? Most likely not the same person! Same can be applyed on SB. Most people dont even have enought time to go really deep into both.

Different definitions of inconsistency. Chip probably meant that if you fight a random person these atributes change each time drasticly. This isnt a bad thing, hes just saying that your class system doesnt work if there are almost infinet different ships that cant be put into the same class.

Well then, Please DEFINE your definition of way much better. Chip did, you didnt. Why would your solution be so much better?
To the second part... He didnt say that, nor mentioned it.

Btw, This is citing sources. Goes back up in this post. Let me quote Aha once again.

Yes... yes you didnt. AS SEEN HERE!^

Your autoturrets cant be engineered with, as you cant use yolol on it. So this is just plain offtopic. In an exam it would be marked as wrong.

As i said bevore, you dont know yolol enough. You would have around 1 second delay between the point where the turret thinks the ship is and where the ship is. Thats a lot of inacuracy, so manuvarable craft could evade such turrets completly.

Wut? Hes just saying, that if you make a product that you cant use well. No one will use it. As such, if there is no reason (becourse of the reasons he said and im too tired to quote, just look at his post and leave a like and sub... Nvm) to use a device like autoturrets, then noone will be using them. If noone is using said device we dont need it in the game.

Well on anyone that posted a opinion that described how you defined it, and that werent the deitys that could read your mind and know exactly what you WANTED IT TO BE instead of how YOU MADE IT TO BE.

Well, I myself, think of this as an enjoyable actual use of knowlage that school taught me. How to cite sources. How to argument (Which is ALWAYS with the pro and con, not just one standpoint(look at posts bevore this, here im not arguing but just listing inconsitencies)). How to generaly look at flatearthers or antivacs ppl. Becourse i get the same vibe here. No public sources or anything. And yes, your fantasy isnt a public source.

Btw, this is a funny one. Becourse i just did!

Doesnt this also apply to you? Why are you still argumenting here if not? For you to tell everyone that you are right and anyone else is wrong?

Aww ; )... Didnt see this bevore

Apologie accepted. Just dont tell others passive agressivly that they are retarded. If you do, then people like me give you the same treatment.
Pretty sure this covers most. Started almost an hour ago i think... well 47 minutes. This was supposed to cover the 7 points @mrchip mentioned but then evolved into... idk. This isnt a rant, neither a normal post. Simply... boredom? Perfectionalism? Pragmatism? My ego thought it was dmged becourse this is against logic and im a very logic controlled person? Well i had a fun time writing this, with 20% of the time laughing which probably shows that im sleep deprived. As such i should stop writing... Tho i really wonder if i wrote more in this post that in my last english exam...
Edit: Some spelling mistakes. Still belive there are a lot more in this... so please ignore them. Thanks!
I am sorry, even if you have one or two good points in there, the level of ignorance is so high that I'm no longer interested in dealing with you. This was your goal all along, to bring the whole conversation to this level. I was happy for your arguments, it was visible that you took the effort to make sense of it (unlike mrchip), it's sad that you chose to terminate the intelligent discussion.
I will still not report any of you for harassing and community disturbing out of my goodwill. Goodbye.

Last edited:
I am sorry, even if you have one or two good points in there, the level of ignorance is so high that I'm no longer interested in dealing with you. This was your goal all along, to bring the whole conversation to this level. I was happy for your arguments, it was visible that you took the effort to make sense of it (unlike mrchip), it's sad that you chose to terminate the intelligent discussion.
I will still not report any of you for harassing and community disturbing out of my goodwill. Goodbye.
Wtf? I just cited all inconsitencies in your post, not even your idea. As you can see, these are all even with sources. Its almost impossible for the whole post to be wrong. So either accept that
You spent the time writing this because your butthurt ego commanded you to.
or just dont look at my long af post that took quite some time to make, and just say: "well... this long so im just not gonna look from their perspective".
After all, im not completly against AT. Just the way you want them implemented just wouldnt work. Thats all i wanted to say.

Maybe i need to add to the start of posts what they are supposed to be about.(Like in emails).
Some (Especially the posts at the start) are just seeing the suggestion and my own oppinion on it. Then some where is see where and how that wouldnt work perfectly and how it would go against the trend of the game. then i see inconsistencies over posts since i think that the idea is fully sketched and not still only an outline. Then i argue a bit, and now im not even dicussing the idea, but just talk about inconsistencies in your POSTS and no longer about your IDEA of AT.
This was a small disclaimer in fineprint at the bottom that, in hinsight, would have helped more at the top, to not cause as many missunderstandings.
Edit: With us two writing so much, we could almost just use dms and not this thread xD. Tho ty to everyone who added fuel to the fire, this has been an enjoyable experience!

Aha

Veteran endo
Maybe i need to add to the start of posts what they are supposed to be about.(Like in emails).
Some (Especially the posts at the start) are just seeing the suggestion and my own oppinion on it. Then some where is see where and how that wouldnt work perfectly and how it would go against the trend of the game. then i see inconsistencies over posts since i think that the idea is fully sketched and not still only an outline. Then i argue a bit, and now im not even dicussing the idea, but just talk about inconsistencies in your POSTS and no longer about your IDEA of AT.
A small disclaimer in fineprint at the bottom that, in hinsight, would have helped to not cause as many missunderstandings.
Exactly. Notice how mrchip started his comment with:

Immediately attacking my personality, and NOT the concept. This kind of attitude and mindset is what I'm talking about. It was still CLEAR that he didn't make the effort to make sense of the concept. (and this type of comment you liked...)
When you are looking for only faults, you will ignore information completely! Not partially, completely!
My response was a mirror to it.
And yes! I made foolish comments too in the other thread, I got butthurt too. But I also threw it away, and I did mean when I said to Venombrew that I hold no hard feelings!
By the way, you mentioned you'd like sniping rather than take part in a fleet.
I totally see that with my concept. You sneak upon your target in low power mode, fire your -idk- 10 railgun, and then quickly disappear.

Last edited:

mrchip

Well-known endo
thanks mr rabbit man, you saved me a lot of time.

first of all: yes there is anger in my post. look past that, and my points still stand.

and here's a TLDR of what those were, since you missed most of it:

AS LONG AS the upcoming radiation scanners don't become blind within render distance, or are too inaccurate or slow:
Players will engineer automatic turrets. They will be inferior. They will be slow. They will need big yolol systems that may fail in unpredictable ways if something in it gets shot. They will be expensive, since big yolol racks actually add up in cost.
They're not a good option. BUT if one really wants to have them, the option exists. A solo miner, could gamble and add one of these if their mining ship is armored enough to survive an encounter. It is not meta. It shouldnt be. But if you want it, its there.
Trying to make automatic turrets meta, is bad. Even if theres a little minigame to the whole radiation thing and accuracy and ranges. Even if there are maneuvers you can take to reduce hit chance. It breaks what the game is fundamentally.
As long as auto turrets are inferior, im fine with them. And, due to radiation scanners, we will get exactly that. So a new part for auto turrets is redundant, and makes the push for technology obsolete, which is arguably the most fun part of that whole system.

That is right, you don't understand.
"- combat tools NEED to be more complex, because "duh, its primitive". It just has to. For some reason. There needs to be a reason."
Um, isn't Starbase a game with complex modular engineering?
Starbase, first and foremost, is, and must remain, primarily an MMO. The sandbox elements, while plentyful, should be created to accomodate the purpose of being an MMO.
Why? Because going crazy on the sandbox side BREAKS the MMO aspect. "So, i heard Starbase is space engineers, but MMO?" "Eh, not really, its just another sandbox". We dont want that. The MMO aspect requires balance and careful game design considerations. The sandbox part, is entirely flexible and can be made to accomodate that. Otherwise, the MMO side will just fall off like it never existed.
Hold on - how did this go from "combat balance" to "half the game vanishes"?
Balance in all gameplay aspects - resource acquisition, station / capital ship creation: means tuning them so that they have
- purpose
- value
These 2 things, are what drive player interaction, be it alliance, trade, contracts, jobs, or war.
This isnt a puzzle, where you can remove a piece and the rest stays there, this is a tower of cards. Remove one, and the whole thing falls, and becomes flat and meaningless.

> I don't hate humans
the "you" in that sentence referred to "the player", not specifically you. I dont know if that wasnt proper english or if its naturally ambiguous.

The diversity in fleet combat, is already a thing that will happen, and as i said, it will be more meaningful and self-regulating, because we arent telling players "look, you can make big ship that shoots, bigger ship that shoots, and even bigger ship that shoots", and expecting something interesting to come from that: they've made 1 complex, compact battlefield.
You need to capture areas. To do that, both sides need endos on the ground. >>> Standard FPS combat, dropships
But nothing is stopping you from using a ship to assist your side >>> Bombers and gunships
The enemy is killing your endos with bombers and gunships. Lets bring something to kill those! >>> Fighters, maybe heavier ships if they become viable
The enemy is killing your bombers and gunships, lets bring something to defeat them >>> Mirror match or purely ship to ship combat specialized ships.
"But what about combat in empty space?" There's no way to make that as interesting, but it also will be more rare. What are you fighting for? Empty space?
There's pirates and their "clients", that has some complexity to it.
Attacking military convoys on their way to a battlezone could make sense, but military convoys are made obsolete by capital ship warping.
And thats pretty much it, i cant think of other reasons to fight other than "haha i can make spaceship go boom, die", which will always suck and by definition will never be made a fair, fun, or meaningful fight.

Blunder 4...
"- solo large ships need to be viable (*)"
Well, you didn't make the effort to properly make sense of my suggestion once again.
You can have crewed turrets if you have crew. Hence, you use auto turrets if you dont have crew.
You can only put auto turrets in large ships, because that is how you defined it.
If they are not viable, refer above, we dont need this part because it'll be redundant, and radiation tech will naturally add the equivalent to this.

These values consistently diversify the game. It's consistent.
that... does not make any sense, and as Lionard said, diversity and inconsistency in the context of that sentence are interchangeable words.

Larger scale battles are also much more fun because the meta isn't a single ship design.
you missed the whole wall about how meta functions.
If there are multiple tools for the same job, one tool will be better than others. You can call that tool the meta.
If you need to put a screw in a wall, you'll want to use an electric screwdriver. You might want to use a regular screwdriver if you dont have the money to afford an electric one, or if it doesnt fit in a space. This, is the meta of putting screws in a wall.
The difference between the battlefield of a station / capital siege, and "big, bigger, and biggest ship", is that in the station siege, you are creating a diverse battlefield, by creating multiple jobs. Each job will have its meta. What jobs exist, and big picture tactics, will have a meta. But there are multiple, different things in the same space. Diversity.
For "big, bigger, biggest ship", there is 1 job. Destroy ship. And what the whole "look at all these roles!" thing suggests, is that we get a tiny screwdriver, a medium screwdriver, a big screwdriver. The analogy falls here, because screwdrivers dont screw eachother. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
But these ships are all trying to do the same thing to eachother.
History, from this game, and from every other game in existence that has something comparable, will show that in such a scenario, one archetype will prevail. Meta. It doesnt matter that in theory you can build a gunship, a corvette, a cruiser - if you NEED to build a cruiser (example) to have a chance. This is exactly what is happening now with fighters.
We dont see anything else in real combat... well, there is no real combat yet, but, if you have to kill other ships, and have full liberty of what to build, you build a fighter. It is proven to be the best.
Once the game, as a whole, adds objectives that arent only "kill spaceship", new roles appear. New tools will be made for new jobs.

Edit:
> send the post
> read the first line "heres the TLDR"
> hmm maybe it isnt haha

If it helps, I think this conversation has proven overly hostile. Ultimately this is a decision the Starbase developers will have to take. In which I feel they have the most information, and therefore can make the most informed decisions.

Aha

Veteran endo
@mrchip Alright, we are getting there. I am genuinely making sense of things you are saying and I actually did wonder at some points if my concept is unnecessary.
There are some points I would like you to also genuinely think through as I will raise them in this comment.

But first of all.
and here's a TLDR of what those were, since you missed most of it:

AS LONG AS the upcoming radiation scanners don't become blind within render distance, or are too inaccurate or slow:
Players will engineer automatic turrets. They will be inferior. They will be slow. They will need big yolol systems that may fail in unpredictable ways if something in it gets shot. They will be expensive, since big yolol racks actually add up in cost.
They're not a good option. BUT if one really wants to have them, the option exists. A solo miner, could gamble and add one of these if their mining ship is armored enough to survive an encounter. It is not meta. It shouldnt be. But if you want it, its there.
Trying to make automatic turrets meta, is bad. Even if theres a little minigame to the whole radiation thing and accuracy and ranges. Even if there are maneuvers you can take to reduce hit chance. It breaks what the game is fundamentally.
As long as auto turrets are inferior, im fine with them. And, due to radiation scanners, we will get exactly that. So a new part for auto turrets is redundant, and makes the push for technology obsolete, which is arguably the most fun part of that whole system.
Answer:
An almost good argument. I like especially the highlighted part.
If it will be like that, my concept as a whole unnecessary. But I doubt that it would be like that because like that you could make every turret an auto turret without other punishment than the slowness of yolol, and I'm sure even that can be solved with smart coding.
I don't think I missed a thing here, it looks like you did! ;)
If nothing else, at least my concept can still be an advocate to make SOMETHING.

Starbase, first and foremost, is, and must remain, primarily an MMO. The sandbox elements, while plentyful, should be created to accomodate the purpose of being an MMO.
Yes, good point. Is the point relevant tho? :unsure: Maybe.

Because going crazy on the sandbox side BREAKS the MMO aspect.
Is it? I don't see how it breaks the MMO aspect if it breaks then it's already broken and the game needs to drop 90% of it. This is a very wild fantasy claim on your side.
And so all the rest is really meaningless bla bla:
"So, i heard Starbase is space engineers, but MMO?" "Eh, not really, its just another sandbox". We dont want that. The MMO aspect requires balance and careful game design considerations. The sandbox part, is entirely flexible and can be made to accomodate that. Otherwise, the MMO side will just fall off like it never existed.
Balance in all gameplay aspects - resource acquisition, station / capital ship creation: means tuning them so that they have
- purpose
- value
These 2 things, are what drive player interaction, be it alliance, trade, contracts, jobs, or war.
This isnt a puzzle, where you can remove a piece and the rest stays there, this is a tower of cards. Remove one, and the whole thing falls, and becomes flat and meaningless.
... It's exactly that kind of claim that has no backup whatsoever, if you accuse me of things like that, make sure you don't produce yourself.
If I'm wrong please provide specific examples, elaboration on this matter, and do not get butthurt, please!

The diversity in fleet combat, is already a thing that will happen, and as i said, it will be more meaningful and self-regulating, because we arent telling players "look, you can make big ship that shoots, bigger ship that shoots, and even bigger ship that shoots", and expecting something interesting to come from that: they've made 1 complex, compact battlefield.
You need to capture areas. To do that, both sides need endos on the ground. >>> Standard FPS combat, dropships
But nothing is stopping you from using a ship to assist your side >>> Bombers and gunships
The enemy is killing your endos with bombers and gunships. Lets bring something to kill those! >>> Fighters, maybe heavier ships if they become viable
The enemy is killing your bombers and gunships, lets bring something to defeat them >>> Mirror match or purely ship to ship combat specialized ships.
Ye, alright, this sounds promising, but...

"But what about combat in empty space?" There's no way to make that as interesting, but it also will be more rare. What are you fighting for? Empty space?
There's pirates and their "clients", that has some complexity to it.
Attacking military convoys on their way to a battlezone could make sense, but military convoys are made obsolete by capital ship warping.
And thats pretty much it, i cant think of other reasons to fight other than "haha i can make spaceship go boom, die", which will always suck and by definition will never be made a fair, fun, or meaningful fight.
You see, here is a thing I would like you to think deeply about.
So we are talking about an MMO, and the one and only "end-game" is this kind of station sieges? I'm not even sure that this bomber-gunship vision is even real. As I can see it, it's so much better to just stick with foot soldiers, and them manning turrets. Since you people are already there on the station defending, it makes a lot more sense to just spam tons of turrets and fend off any bomber-fighter with unavoidable rain of bullets from 999 turrets. I don't see the bombers and gunships evolving to be any viable thus being meta.
You already have access to materials via station storage to build-repair-reload turrets, you can just spawn and hop right into it. Way more time and resource efficient.
As an attacker, again, just a transport ship that is a ship with 10-30 turrets manned, get to the station, into cover, and start the objective asap, capturing zones with endos.
No space ships, no players who would like to play with space ships, and the greatest numbers of the audience who would play the game will have to resort to: "haha i can make spaceship go boom, die", which will always suck and by definition will never be made a fair, fun, or meaningful fight. and ultimately leave sooner or later.
You must understand that there are lot of people who would like proper space battles.
Starbase is fundamentally not for these people you say? Well, you might be right, it's just that the vast majority of the people who are interested in starbase are these people. Attract and keep them or die. This is the fate Frozenbyte -and you too bashing suggestions like mine- has to consider.
The game needs a lot more end-game objectives than station siege. It does need fighting in space for something.

Attacking military convoys would be great but yes, the mobile space station warp makes it obsolete.
We have here a major game design flaw.
Here is a possible suggestion, I might post it as well:
Mobile space stations removed or repurposed, instead, there is this gigantic safe zone breaker device, that you just build into a battleship with enormous radiation, so everyone can see it with the radar.
Voila, we have the military convoy. (When the convoy reaches its actual target, there could be still some hours of charge up, it could be a huge "safe zone-shield buster laser or some kind of "EMP" thingy)

You can have crewed turrets if you have crew. Hence, you use auto turrets if you dont have crew.
You can only put auto turrets in large ships, because that is how you defined it.
If they are not viable, refer above, we dont need this part because it'll be redundant, and radiation tech will naturally add the equivalent to this.
It is still not that black and white, what you quoted from me for this still stands. And I really don't want to do your homework after all this so ill leave it like that. :)

you missed the whole wall about how meta functions.
No, I don't think I did and you make sense there, I get it.
"- Elimination of hard meta ship design, opening the game up to its full potential."
I didn't offer elimination of meta. The whole argument of yours about this matter is irrelevant. This is why you need to follow my advice and read the whole thing with the proper state of mind, and read it minimum twice. You come here with anger and you blunder and blunder and blunder. That's just how it is, there is no possible scenario where you go somewhere with anger and you don't blunder. It's easily avoidable, I tried to give you and not insult you when I wrote the advice of state of mind. I wanted you to produce a strong argument!
Now imagine yourself in my position that I have to deal with this. How long have you been talking about the meta and that I don't understand meta only because you failed to properly read and make sense of what I actually wrote down? What a waste of argument! And trust me this isn't the only thing...

The big, bigger, biggest ship part is sound and maybe the strongest argument against my concept.

I already expressed my concerns about the bomber-gunship-corvette part. And of course, these are my personal projections about the meta but they aren't wild projections. I could be wrong there, and the developers can balance things out to be just like that how it's envisioned, but even then as I expressed I feel it's just not enough to attract enough people for the game to be an enjoyable MMO, especially considering its world size!

Last edited:
Reminder: Person with half ADHD here.
Post goes awry after the... halfway mark? around there. I realise it quite late but eh... i dont want to remove half ot this long af post. Its not really nececary either... so people other than Aha and chip probably dont have any use of reading this... thing my post became. Origanal post stats now:

I see now, that i have been pretty baiased aswell. I have supported chip and others becourse im of their opinion and only shredered Ahas posts becourse i wanted to explain how we are kinda talking around each other.
Then again i dont really want to be the mediator here, since i came here to represent my own opinion. But, well i guess im probably wont shredder any more posts in this thread anyways. Im kinda over that.
So... Let me try and explain how you two are (probably) not fully understanding each other. And please do respond if i understood something wrong.

Let me start with what Aha said to chips post, since im more of the standpoint of chip, its much easyer for me to understand his intentions (or so i hope) so i wanna start with that.
But first of all.
Answer:
I don't think I missed a thing here, it looks like you did! ;)
If nothing else, at least my concept can still be an advocate to make SOMETHING.
Yep. This is in itself correct. Just look that 1. your two standpoints are different and as such 2. your approach is different as a result.
Chip says that IF rad sensors can be used to make AT, you can make slow, inacurate and very frail AT. As such it would be pretty bad to use as your main source of combat power. Or even as your second choice. It would mostly be good for solo players that dont do much combat in the first place, like miners.
While Aha says that AT that way would be too unbalanced and as such would be bad.
You see how those senteces and stances of you two cant be well conected? Thats becourse you are talking around each other (or im just bad at understanding your senteces).
Yes, good point. Is the point relevant tho? :unsure: Maybe.
Here you two are just different oppinions. Chip thinks the MMO aspect is VERY important. Aha thinks its not that important.

Because going crazy on the sandbox side BREAKS the MMO aspect.
I do have to say... This is your oppinion as long as you dont explain why this would be so. Sandbox is here not defined and i think its a poorly chosen word. SB has a really really big sandbox, the universe after all. Its rather NPCs and good/fast automation or anything thats not player driven is whats meant here. As for why it would break the mmo aspect? Well, if you dont need player to player interaction, there will be less player to player interaction. And thats what people like Chip and I dont want to happen. We want the whole game to be player driven. All of it.

"So, i heard Starbase is space engineers, but MMO?" "Eh, not really, its just another sandbox". We dont want that. The MMO aspect requires balance and careful game design considerations. The sandbox part, is entirely flexible and can be made to accomodate that. Otherwise, the MMO side will just fall off like it never existed.
Here hes trying to use an example to explain his oppinion: SB has AT = People think its like SE, just mmo.
But thats not the essence of the game. Or at least thats not what people like us want. In games like SE you only need 1 person to destroy a station that 5 people are in.
In SB you could sneak onto a big enemy ship, while they arent looking, or becourse it has a blindspot on the underside, while with games like SE you have 3rd person and could see that. and even if you would bord someones ship, your basicly powerless.
In SB after you bord you arent powerless. you can disable the thrusters, or just cut the fuel lines or destroy the generator / fuel like a suicide bomber. Ships are relativly frail in SB with a railgun beeing able to pierce 3 layers of the strongest armor in 1 shot.
I realised i rambeled on for too long on one topic again... Lets continue.

- purpose
- value
Now this is the 2. part of that quote you used. Let me elaborate:
Why do we mine asteroids? To get recources. Why do we want recources? Becourse we can use them to print ships or get money for others to print our ships, or buy other peoples ships.
Why do we want a ship / good ship? becourse... we can do much more in a ship. We can do most basic things just stronger, faster, bigger.
Now we want more ships. What do we do? Mining is too slow... lets destroy some other miners and take their ores and salvage their ships. big profit after all.
That (and "pew pew enemy ships go boom" basicly fun and competitiveness) are the reasons for us to advance our ship designs and to attack others.
Stations aswell. Stations can be used to make a lot of money as such have a high VALUE, and have a lot of influence and can keep your people safe, as such have high PURPOSE. Same goes for capital ships that are needed to attack a station. They are the only objekt that can be used to attack stations and are used for traveling. They are also a safehaven for your people. As such have high PURPOSE. We dont really know how to get them yet (or i forgot) but they will be very expensive and can be used to attack stations for a lot of profit, as such a lot of VALUE again.
Not really needed and in hindsight probably a poor explanation:
Now that i explained what he probably meant in an example let me translate to your idea.
Look from this standpoint for now: We like player to player interaction. We dont want any other interaction.
Now what value or purpose do AT give? Well... they can be used with less players. But we dont really like it. and even then its worse than crewed turrets, so why bother to have them to begin with?
What value do they give? well... they can shoot at people... worse than crew. so they have less value than crew. but they are very expensive and take a lot of recources to use even after you buy them... so they are nice to scrap off your enemys for profit, but too expensive and weak to use on your own ships.
So, you, person that has a faction, doesnt use AT. But you are still very good at combat. since you are a combat faction, with a lot of good gunners. Now other people see that the best combatens dont use AT. Best fighters/combat ships on the market dont use AT. So many more people dont use AT. Why would they? The people that know whats going on dont. And its hard to modify ships after all.
Now if most people use crewed guns, and dont have that much rad becourse of no AT, ships with AT are at an disadvantage over them. They have less crew on average (or at least in the same ship size class) and have worse weapons. So where is the VALUE?

and them manning turrets.
What turrets? Its not like you can just bolt turrets onto the station. They are also "ships". Ships with no thrusters maybe, or really slow, very armored ships but ships non the less.
As such they can be destroyed by fighters and their strong firepower or ordinary troops that get to the reactor. As i said: 1 or 3 good shoots and you are at the enemys reactor. And as such turrets that cant move would be a very easy target and as such a waste of recources and as such wouldnt be useful and as such wouldnt be used much.
Bombers do much more dmg and are much less likely to be hit. As such fighters would be used agiainst your bombers. As such you use your fighters to defend your bomber and attack their bomber. And if you want to defend a certain place, a more armored and more stationary gunship might be better. All while people are on the ground, trying to keep the most people alive while trying to kill as many enemys as possible.

You also need to remember that the attackers (capital ship people) dont only need to capture the staion. They need to defend aswell. The defenders (station people) can also capture the capital ship the same way. If you make a big turret wall, well... to destroy parts of the capital ship is pretty easy. and then the capital ship cant move anymore. and we do need to remember than a combat capital ship needs a chargup time of 24-72 hours to attack a station. So you have enough time to prepare on both sides.
So we have a staion that cant be attacked becourse of turretwall right? and we have a capital ship that cant move anymore that cant be attacked becourse of a turretwall right?
but the capital ship needs some more space for actual ships to attack. so it has worse turretwall right? and openinngs in it right? becourse you dont immediatly know who you should shoot.
After all, what shows if that ship is friend or foe? So there are openings. Openings where a player could slip trough and destroy the reactor again. Or sabotage fuel lines. Or mess with YOLOL code.
And thanks to that player, ships, bombers and bording craft with even more troops can get attack the capital ship. The same can go for the station.
There is no safezone after all, as such everything is your plaything if you work well enough. (Still sad that espionage wont be a thing.)
This way a new job is born. Becourse this could happen, you setup security at crucial points. So now you dont only have to defend the points but also defend crucial objects that you define yourself.
Sorry that i wrote so much again, but i couldnt keep this much shorter. After all, we are going to a new theme here. Might be some stuff wrong here, since FB hasnt completed the station/capital stuff even for ea time. So all we can do is take what we know what they will probably might very well use.

This shows pretty much what the other "Class system" could be. Instead of classes controlled by size, its controlled by intent. What is this ship suppoed to do? Is it to transport players? is it to destroy other ships? is it to destroy really slow or non moving targets? Is it suppoed to snipe the generator of not always ships and ignore everything else? Is it so a single player can sneak past defenses and disable the enemy defenses?
Each of these classes need different attributes. These attributes can be stealth, AOE dmg, a lot of dmg to a stationary target, a lot of movement speed, a lot of dmg to fast things, a lot of defense and even more that i dont remember. Becourse the ships need different attributes they will be desinged different, not becourse they look cool that way, but becourse its more efficient.

only "end-game" is this kind of station sieges?
I mean... bruh?
Wdym? Have we ever talked about endgame? We are still BEVORE EA! There is no endgame right now.
Maybe endgame will be that whole planets will fight against each other. But is that really endgame?
Isnt that just what you can make 3 hours in the game but on a larger scale? A much larger scale but basicly still the same. After all, there is no such thing as progression.
You make money. You invest it (Miner probably). You make more money. You invest it. you make more money. you invest it. you make some losses. you lose some investments. you start over again. you make some more money. you inve..........
Do you get what im getting at?
If the players define the game through player to player interactrions then who defines the endgame? Probably the players. And we are constantly challanging the limits the game places on us.
As such we advance. And advance again. and again. So as long as the devs add more or change a bit, which i heard somehwere they wanted to do for at least a few years (dont take my word for it tho), then there will be no true endgame.
Is there a endgame in rl? maybe? be rich? be famous? make a rocket company to create rapidly reusable rockets? fly to the moon? Idk? mars?

I simply want to say that such things as endgame dont exist in ea, and its BEVORE ea right now.
You already have access to materials via station storage to build-repair-reload turrets, you can just spawn and hop right into it. Way more time and resource efficient.
This applys to the capital ship aswell. If you cant fight then why would you start fighting?

As an attacker, again, just a transport ship that is a ship with 10-30 turrets manned, get to the station, into cover, and start the objective asap, capturing zones with endos.
Well, what tells you that singular transport ship doesnt get gunned down instantly? As such you would need distractions. Do i hear fighters again?
No space ships
But spaceships can destroy more. Thats the reason why they are even used in ship to ship combat. if they were weaker we wouldnt be fighting with them in open space aswell. In close combat they might be too big tho... so you only take the turret with you. and a bit of ammo and a batery becours a generator would be too big. now thats what i call a glass cannon!

You must understand that there are lot of people who would like proper space battles.
Well what gives them PURPOSE? Why would they do proper space battles? becourse they can? or like them? then they would do so anyways.
Dont really know what you are going into tbh. Please elaborate.
We have here a major game design flaw.
Dont really call it a flaw. If now capital ships with a safezone could move normaly we would have a much bigger problem. You could have done it a different way, but if we dont have capital ships, do you really want to fly a few hours straight with a few hundred other people, having to stop and refuel at some places, just to attack a station? This is a game, and even if i would find that better, since you would have to be atentive against assults of pirates and similar players, it would be boring af.
Mobile space stations removed or repurposed, instead, there is this gigantic safe zone breaker device, that you just build into a battleship with enormous radiation, so everyone can see it with the radar.
That was my oppinion on that statement above. OH ****! I didnt want to voice my oppinion.... I did it again ;(. Well i wont delete half of this post thats too long and most people wont read to this pont anyways... so i guess it doesnt matter that much... but still... Sorry...
So, where was i?
Right! This was supposed to be the halfway mark. now i wanted to show Ahas position to all this so you two might be able to have a better understanding of the others oppinion and thought process... but didnt i do that already? somewhere in this mess of a post?
Well, i really dont want to write much more so im just gonna do some superficial stuff thats really easy to see and as such wont help at all! Arent i doing so much for this conversation? Now away with the sacasm...

Since you people are already there on the station defending, it makes a lot more sense to just spam tons of turrets and fend off any bomber-fighter with unavoidable rain of bullets from 999 turrets
This is understandable, as long as you dont include if this is efficient or profitable or enjoyable, its a very viable taktic. If you shoot so much that the others cant shoot back or aproach you will be invincible. But you still need to manualy refuel all those guns. So that wouldnt work forever.

Attacking military convoys would be great but yes, the mobile space station warp makes it obsolete.
I agree, Im quite sad that there is no sneaking into your enemys team and sabotaging the ships even bevore battle. But, as said bevore, it would be pretty boring.

Oh right, im going into the wrong post. sry...
I dont remember what i wanted to do at the start of this post... I know that i wanted to make a small post, a few sentences long, but where have i ended at? I dont even know myself... I feel like i have once again only expressed my own oppinion, which i didnt want to do... and i doubt i actually helped either of you two to understand the other sides points better.
Well i dont want to write much more... as such i probably wont write in the next few days. This might be the last of my weired posts in this thread, as i doubt i have much more things to say that i havent said at least 3 times bevore...
Well, see you guys on other threads!

While I am impressed with the work that went into your concept @Aha , if the devs implemented them Starbase would become a really different game. If auto turrets can be invented by players themselves through YOLOL, then it would clash with the core emphasis on mechanical engineering that the game has if premade auto turrets were made available. The base concept of Starbase is that the game gives you basic building blocks (like generators, motors and YOLOL) and says "get out there and make some crazy stuff". I feel like adding premade auto turrets would conflict with that, even if you fix some problems with how it would be implemented that people have talked about already.

Respectfully, it feels like you've taken Starbase and turned it into a completely new game, rather than simply "removing the meta" or making solo play better.

Last edited:

Aha

Veteran endo
While I am impressed with the work that went into your concept @Aha , if the devs implemented them Starbase would become a really different game. If auto turrets can be invented by players themselves through YOLOL, then it would clash with the core emphasis on mechanical engineering that the game has if premade auto turrets were made available. The base concept of Starbase is that the game gives you basic building blocks (like generators, motors and YOLOL) and says "get out there and make some crazy stuff". I feel like adding premade auto turrets would conflict with that, even if you fix some problems with how it would be implemented that people have talked about already.

Respectfully, it feels like you've taken Starbase and turned it into a completely new game, rather than simply "removing the meta" or making solo play better.
That is all true. This would be a significant change. And i mean it to be. I am attempting to open the game to its potential.
Their hard insist on it being totally FPS is the source problem really.
And there is this thing. See you say, "The base concept of Starbase is that the game gives you basic building blocks (like generators, motors and YOLOL) and says "get out there and make some crazy stuff"."
But it's a lie. It's a half-lie... Because the biggest if not the only reason for engineering is to automate things/make things do your job for you.
You made the axe to do the cutting for you, so you don't have to -idk- chew or carve the tree with your nails. Then you made the chainsaw to even further replace your efforts with an engineered machine.
My point is, their deliberate attitude to prevent auto-turrets to happen goes against this BASE CONCEPT. If you have no means to automate stuff for you, what is the point really? It cuts away the most interesting part of engineering. Sure you could make factories I guess and it is satisfying! But the true feeling of success comes in the competition of the PvP side. At least for a large ammounts of people.
I see potential being wasted. I wish my suggestion was unnecessary.
As I said in my previous comments if it will be that you can make it through yolol, then everything is fine and my suggestion merely serves as a reminder that Starbase needs to be much more than being a fighter simulator in space in order to attract and keep that kind of player count they envisioned.
Thank you for your input! :)
Ps. Since this is alpha, Starbase will be a completely new game no matter what in few years. It is just right to shape core mechanics NOW!
Also, these auto-turrets are just as premade as simple turrets. In this sense of "base concept", the regular turrets shouldn't be there either. It should be solved through turn tables and arms and yolol.

Last edited: