Thoughts from Engi's/Programmers and everyone! ( YOLOL )

I work in Networking and me and a few friends from work coming up with some crazy ideas for automation.

It is kind of hard to figure out what is feasible yet in the game but some ideas come to mind.

-Ship building
-Defense arrays
-Early Warning Def systems
-Auto Pilot cargo transport
-and obviously a Data Network if possible.

Would love to hear what everyone is looking forward to try and engineer with YOLOL.

So some people have said a few things about having a point defense system and I just believe that with the 2 second read time of a yolo chip that it will impossible but will love for someone to prove me wrong.

(I noticed the YOLOL Category too late and cant seem to delete so admin feel free to move topic or delete.)

In other news,
Im sure that they wouldn't let you auto target moving objects. But I feel like we could do an early warning system for proximity to the base. Possibly automated hails or something of the sort. and if not whitelisted then trigger such and such

Leftharted

Learned-to-sprint endo
Based on my understanding of how things function, I think it'll be rather easy to setup some simple timed actions for certain things like: collapsing/hidden weapons, unfolding landing gear, proximity alerts tied to lights, etc...

Their are a few other fun things that im not certain how easy/hard they would be to setup, for example, a telescoping hangar door, likely utilizing several stacked rails... In theory it wouldn't be that hard to build, but i think that's contingent on how to pass power (cables?) through stacked devices across rails and turntables. I'm assuming it's possible, because of the dev video with the multiple gimbaled turrets; their must be some way to pass power through the turntables.

Hopefully im not mistaken... because if I am; I'm not sure how any multi tier collapsing/telescoping ideas would function?

However, im definitely looking forward to reverse engineering the multi turret cockpit of the dev faction ship that was seen in the video so I can understand how it's all connected... I think I can (albeit, Slowly) figure out the math necessary, but unsure how to translate that into YOLOL and chips. All in due time I'm sure.

I think another fun one would be pre-programmed evasive maneuvers! So that as a solo player, you can hop into turret while your ship spirals, or something. Again, without hands on experience, I'm not sure how hard this would be to execute. I suppose its reliant on how the Flight Control Unit and Main Flight Computer function... I'm imagining several FCU's might need to be tied to each independent direction of thrust, and then lined up to the Main unit to interpret input from switches/levers... if I'm along the right lines, then it wouldn't be to hard to wrap my head around programming certain groups to fire off in timed intervals... but, if I'm wrong, and each individual Thruster needs to be programmed independently; then it could be a bit of a headache to program a spiral or loop etc. Also I'd imagine with a little math, you could setup some random number generation, which ultimately might be easier to setup, but would take a little care and consideration to engineer still, so that your flight path is unpredictable, but not gawd awful erratic.

Who knows, I might be overthinking it, and it may be much easier than I can imagine without playing with it...

I can't wait for this to release to EA! :eek:

So some people have said a few things about having a point defense system and I just believe that with the 2 second read time of a yolo chip that it will impossible but will love for someone to prove me wrong.
It's not 2 second, but 0.2 between the lines.

However, im definitely looking forward to reverse engineering the multi turret cockpit of the dev faction ship that was seen in the video so I can understand how it's all connected... I think I can (albeit, Slowly) figure out the math necessary, but unsure how to translate that into YOLOL and chips. All in due time I'm sure.
I advise you the wiki, then go to https://pascalstockert.github.io/yolol/landing for exemple, in addition, there is the link to test the Yolol. Very practical if like me, you do not understand the explanations.

When you start to understand Yolol better, you may not even need to consider reverse engineering .

What would I like to do with Yolol?
easy, put a piracy application that would make transactions in a civilized way.

I can't wait for this to release to EA! there are credits to win :sneaky:

Burnside

Master endo
"Space Mines", uses a yolol chip for the arming sequence, possibly with a receiver for a temporary disarm command, otherwise it's just a rangefinder linked to a missile launcher deployed en masse

I work in Networking and me and a few friends from work coming up with some crazy ideas for automation.

It is kind of hard to figure out what is feasible yet in the game but some ideas come to mind.

-Ship building
-Defense arrays
-Early Warning Def systems
-Auto Pilot cargo transport
-and obviously a Data Network if possible.

Would love to hear what everyone is looking forward to try and engineer with YOLOL.
Ejector Toilets

Azelous

Veteran endo
  • Automated ferry at a station or between stations.
  • Code to have a ship follow another ship.
  • Automated docking. Bonus if the instructions can be transmitted from station to ship.
  • Auto cargo load/unload.
  • Auto asteroid mining/capture.
  • Capital ship defense systems.

• Drones to help you work or fight
  • Point Defense Cannons to target inbound Missiles/Torpedoes
  • Multi-Stage Torpedo with smaller Spoof Munitions to counter PDC
  • IFF transceiver. Useful for if you don't want an enemy getting too close to your base and spying. But want other traffic to proceed.
  • AWACs, depending on the limitations of Sensors and Laser RangeFinder
  • Scrap Merchant that collects debris and refurbs it to new, using less resources to do in the first place
  • Weapon Autoloaders. This game needs constructible mass drivers.

Last edited:
Smart Mine Field.

Although, im not sure if vectors will be able to be recorded inside an automate mine. But it would be feasible to do a simple mine AI that follows the target, and if the target is not in range from the current speed, abort, deactivate explosive and come back to point of origin.

You could maybe do also Movable Mine fields, that changes place in herd. With a pattern, but the enemy wouldnt notice that. That option would be interesting in a ressource limited situation.

Instead of trying to intercept a missle with mine own I think that a defence system akin to that of a M1 abrams could work. For those who don't know the abrams launches plates of armor at incoming ordnance in order to eliminate damage to the hull. By using the same code as auto hailing something and destroying non-whitelisted projectiles you could in theory launch a plate of armor at the in coming projectile and eliminate any damage to the hull

One thing to try would be to issue landing permits to clear landing pads on a station. Or sending a message to follow a defined route for landing (i.e. under the watchful gase of a defence array).