Trouble with beams in the spaceship designer (not easybuild)

Hey everyone,

I've tried to google my problem but didn't find anything. So I turn to you guys :)

I've been spending some time now with the spaceship designer. Right now i'm designing my fourth ship, so I'm not totally new to this. The problem is: when I activate the durability tool there appear red cubes for *some* beams, indicating they aren't bolted together properly. Now I know they need to be welded, not bolted, which makes ist all the more confusing. I repeatedly welded and unwelded all beams or some of them to try and get rid of the red cubes, but to no avail. I also made sure it's not devices or other objects that need to be bolted. It's definitely the beams that are making trouble. In my other three builds I haven't had these problems.

Is that a bug, or did I just make a really dumb mistake? I'd be very grateful for help.
(By the way: this is by far the biggest ship I built yet with approximately 4x6x17 cargo crates in size. Is it maybe a problem that only occurs when ships are above a certain size?)

Attachments

Cavilier210

Master endo
When you click on the red boxes it tells you its not welded properly? May be a bug. I would report it anyway.

Another possible issue is beam strength. But it shouldn't be in this situation.

Actually it tells me that at least one more bolt is needed for stability. Because of that the ship counts as having no viable frame with no warp factor given. It pretty much messes up the whole build.

Small update:

I didn't want to give up on that build yet, so I tinkered around a little. Removing modules and making the structure more sturdy made the problem even worse. I'm quite convinced now that this is in fact a bug. Did anybody else stumble across that problem?

Attachments

XenoCow

Master endo
I'm quite convinced now that this is in fact a bug.
Ship frames are defined by beams with thrusters attached. I suspect that you don't have any thrusters correctly attached to their hardpoints/the beams. Once you get at least one then you should see the real durability of the structure.

Good hint. I took it seriously and checked, but the thrusters are bolted to each other as well as to the frame. Device hardpoints were in place.
Just to be sure I also added a box thruster to the side and bolted it by hand instead of autobolt. No difference.

Last edited:

Cavilier210

Master endo
Good hint. I took it seriously and checked, but the thrusters are bolted to each other as well as to the frame. Device hardpoints were in place.
Just to be sure I also added a box thruster to the side and bolted it by hand instead of autobolt. No difference.
The hard points were also bolted to the frame?

Having the very same issue myself. Designing a frame (actually just took all beams from LaborerII and now tweaking it) and faced that issue. Durability tool seems to be randomly marking random beams with one more bold needed and it's a welded frame not bolted.... very confusing what's that...

2021-08-26_13-23-05.png 2021-08-26_13-23-24.jpg
2021-08-26_13-23-45.jpg

Womble

Veteran endo
I had a problem where cumulative "rounding errors" in the automatic snapping meant that there were unweldable gaps (or that a beam that should have fitted in a space wouldn't). I found it by looking very closely at the joins around the problem area and seeing that they were just very slightly misaligned. I fixed it by using the actual snap tool to precisely align everything.

XenoCow

Master endo
Having the very same issue myself. Designing a frame (actually just took all beams from LaborerII and now tweaking it) and faced that issue. Durability tool seems to be randomly marking random beams with one more bold needed and it's a welded frame not bolted.... very confusing what's that...

View attachment 2974 View attachment 2975
View attachment 2976
First make sure that the frame is considered a frame by slapping at least a maneuvering thruster and hardpoint on there somewhere. Then see if your durability errors persist.