UI Feedback and Interface Errors

Caddrel

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Starbase has a lot of great tools and systems. However there is a lack of feedback when it comes to interface errors.

This refers to when a user asks the program to do something and the program is unable to.

An example would be pulling the repair tool out and trying to use it to repair a part. If there is a problem there is a error "beep" and the hand waves the tool around a bit. But there is no feedback as to what causes the tool not to work. The program knows why, but doesn't tell the user. Lack of materials? Part not part of a blueprint? No power pack? Wrong part targeted?

Or trying to move a part in the system editor. There is an error "beep" and the part moves back, but no description of why the part has failed to move: there could be all sorts of different reasons! The program knows why the part doesn't move, but doesn't tell the user.

There are many examples of this in the game at the moment, but these two are off the top of my head. Given how much great effort has gone into the in-game screens and controls, these kind of issues deserve to be fixed!

I'm not sure how best to prevent these coming up in future with new features? As a non-professional in this area, I had to look up what I thought was the appropriate jargon and have no idea what a cutting-edge UX QA and development processes is meant to look like. It may already be in place for all I know.