VR

Tennyboy

Active endo
Will the devs give starbase a VR update in which the game would become playable throw VR as well as throw pc?

Hunter

Active endo
From a development time standpoint, it's not feasible.

They'd be dedicating many hours of valuable dev time into a VR experience that can only be experienced by those with an iron gut. A subniche of an already tiny niche.

I have thousands of hours in VR and would love to see this as well, but the devs probably don't want to develop something 1% (or less) of the community would play Starbase via.

will there be any reason for VR users to come to starbase if it did get a VR release?
There's a severe content drought for good VR games at the moment, so plenty of people would come and try out Starbase. However, the small size of the VR community would barely make a dent in the game's population.

Unless the game would be runnable on the Quest's successor well into the future (The Quest 5, 6 or even later). It wouldn't be worth the dev time, due to the small size of the VR community.

cranky corvid

Well-known endo
Many of the game's user interfaces are already designed with an eye towards being VR-friendly. But the requirement for an expensive headset on top of the expensive gaming PC needed to consistently maintain a framerate acceptable for VR means it's very niche until the hardware gets cheaper, so it's a "maybe sometime in the future" kind of thing.

Dustmuz

Active endo
Personally i would love to see a game like Starbase in VR.

Is it feasible for the devs to go down this road.
Not at the current time and might never be.
the game might be looking like it would work well in VR.
But as @Hunter mentions, it would take an iron gut and the playerbase, might not be there.

Tennyboy

Active endo
If you want to go the least expensive route to getting a new VR-ready gaming PC, this $500 build will do the trick. With an Intel Core i3-10100f processor, a GTX 1650 Super graphics card, and 8GB of RAM, this $500 gaming PC will meet the requirements of the Oculus Rift or the HTC Vive.
with the quest 2 being a perfectly good pc VR headset and it being one of the most sold vr out there.

Tennyboy

Active endo
these are the (recommended) spec that you need for starbase
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 / Intel i7-6700k.
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM.
  • Graphics: Radeon RX Vega 8 GB / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB.
  • DirectX: Version 11.
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection.
  • Storage: 15 GB available space.
  • Additional Notes: The game requires an Internet connection to play.

if you are thinking of buying starbase and you know that your pc is powerful enough to run VR.

Tennyboy

Active endo
also here are some games that would be similar to starbase VR if they do make it VR capable.
no man's sky VR
star wars squadrons
elite dangerous
and these are what came up when I searched most popular steam VR games
although I do agree that you would need an iron stomach if these game could be successful I don't see why starbase VR couldn't be

cranky corvid

Well-known endo
A $500 PC might manage framerates acceptable for VR in games that aren't graphics- or processing-intensive or are designed from the ground up to ensure that kind of performance in VR, but it won't in Starbase. My rig with a GTX 1660 Super and an i5-9600K only barely manages to maintain 60 FPS at 1080p at an empty origin station right now. I do agree that Starbase in VR could be an amazing experience for those with the requisite hardware, though!