What seperates Star Base from other PVE games?

So far we can mine and our resource sink is research and ship building. Is that enough for the game to make it in the long run? I do enjoy the ship building so far, but I feel like there are better versions of mining simulator.

Vanidar

Well-known endo
Starbase is a fairly ambitious game barely a month into EA (Early Access). Give me another "PvE" sandbox-style game you're comparing it to and I can tell you the differences, but really I'd say in almost every example the difference is both the infancy and ambition of Starbase.

Now, I do share some of your frustrations that there doesn't *appear* to me to be a sense of urgency to weave in mechanics that promote player interaction or what I'll call a blanket "reason or profitability to pvp" into the early designs in EA, but that said I am super impressed by what the devs have done so far. I think if you appreciate Starbase for what it is and what it aims to be and give it a fair minute, you'll be hyped as well.

Starbase isn't a PVE game, and if the devs want to kill it they should make it one. TBF, these days terms like 'PVE' and 'Sandbox' don't mean much and are just labels folks like to slap on certain games

Vanidar

Well-known endo
What separates it? It doesn't have any PvE content at all, unless you consider shooting rocks PvE.
And it shouldn't have "PvE content" in the classic sense like the NPCs and NPC missions you want. It should provide tools for player-driven content. This is a sandbox MMO.

J.D.

Veteran endo
Ok, so heres whats going on.. there is a safe zone that is permanent around the origin stations for new players. cool. Good idea for figuring shit out as a new player, the game is complicated, ill give them that. You can mine tier one ores up to about 50ish Km out into the belt without a worry of being attacked... Right now, they are working on capital ships. One is a civilian ship, and one is a military ship. The civilian variant is permanently safe. Meaning no matter where you are in the vast open space, you cannot be sieged, unlike stations, and military capital ships. They said earlier on they would give the capital ship a downside, that being the ship cannot enter a belt, for balance sake. I mean, if we can just go around, even in the belt, and mine all these ores without danger, soon the market will fill with ore stacks from all these players who get them so easily, and then youd find the rare ores dropping down to a ridiculous price, because undercutting is how you make money on the market. Right? So, balance.. Well, now they are considering on allowing these invincible ships into the belt. They can go anywhere, anytime, right up to a location they want, get out and mine for a couple of minutes, and return back to God mode. Rip economy, and player interaction, especially pvp, and pve players working together in harmony as companies who sustain themselves, and all that awesome shit.
We have radiation technology coming, which is a system that can pick up the signature of radiation that the generators leave behind, this is an ideal tool for pvp guys hunting for targets. This is also a good defense mechanism to see the enemy coming, so gives time to prepare, meaning run back to big floating block of safety.
There is also the moon content coming. The moon holds very valuable, and rare ores. at first, the only location that was permanently safe, was the moon city. Now, they decided to allow stations to be built within the permanent safe zone. This is turning into one big fat meme. Pvp is an optional event that has no impact what so ever on the economy. Eventually prices will drop dramatically. there will be no market for cap ships, because everyone flys admin mode. its an absolute joke. i am heavily disappointed, and shocked.
There is no pve content aside from mining, and building. Youll never be bothered. You are never endangered. Get something to protect your keyboard, because your head is going to bang that thing countlessly from falling asleep hard due to massive boredom. Make sure you send me a video so i can make a vine of heads banging to some metal music of people falling asleep and ill put it on youtube. "starbase hype." :ROFLMAO: Im on the brink of quitting this game, and turning to star citizen. im just waiting to see how it plays out. I'm honestly crushed by it. like a kid who didnt get what he dreamed for at christmas. i was so hyped for this game. Ive worked on 4 pvp ship fighters. i even thought about making a little shop to sell cheaper pvp ships for the new guys to get started. rip. it sucks man.

STEALTH

Well-known endo
Starbase isn't a PVE game, and if the devs want to kill it they should make it one. TBF, these days terms like 'PVE' and 'Sandbox' don't mean much and are just labels folks like to slap on certain games
AMEN, not sure how SB would even begin to be looked at as a PvE Game (seems to be what's leading to some wanting it completely changed). I dare say that SB has no PvE elements in it (I guess you can say the future corrosion thing is one). This is why the PvP vs PvE argument in this game is odd to me.

There's tools in this game for: PvP, PMC (Player Made Content: Mechs, Clubs, Billboards, Ships, Bases, Stations, etc), Non-PvP Activities (Mining, Building, Coding, Market, Politics, Travel). I don't see any traditional PvE content in this game and don't believe it's meant to be such (storyline, mission/quest, brainless NPCs to fight or save, puzzles to solve/survive through, items to fetch, etc.

William Wolfen

Learned-to-sprint endo
I think it's fine it there's not going to be any PvE content in the game, but they need to have that on the steam store page and on their website in big lettering. Most games have a bit of both, so this isn't an obvious thing. I'm sure there's plenty of folks well past the steam refund time that would like their money back as a result of that not being stated.

I think it's fine it there's not going to be any PvE content in the game, but they need to have that on the steam store page and on their website in big lettering. Most games have a bit of both, so this isn't an obvious thing. I'm sure there's plenty of folks well past the steam refund time that would like their money back as a result of that not being stated.
Nobody will ever tell you exactly what they are selling you. It's the consumers responsibility to do research on the product, otherwise accept that you get what you get.
Also I'm positive they will not shoehorn themselves by publicly stating this game will not have pve, even if that is the current plan.

blazemonger

Veteran endo
I'd agree that SB actually has no planned PVE gameplay at all. I would not qualify mining nor building as such.

I do agree with the notion that any judgement on what SB can/could/will or should be or become is at best premature seeing it is in early alpha with a fairly limited number of gameplay elements currently implemented. As such, arguments in many directions are really not valid to make either way and will not be for at least another year.. or two ..

Certainly it will be a year before we would be able to get a fairly complete picture of where FB plans to take the game. and IMO that is just fine.

Womble

Veteran endo
Just to flog the horse a wee bit more in case it wants to get up as a zombie again:
"What seperates Star Base from other PVE games?"
is a question that is impossible to answer since Starbase isn't a PvE game. So if we omit "other", we can reply "The fact that is a player-driven game that has no 'PvE content' beyond resource extraction and potentially hostile environments."

There, that's my troll-feeding duties done for the day.

Just to flog the horse a wee bit more in case it wants to get up as a zombie again:
"What seperates Star Base from other PVE games?"
is a question that is impossible to answer since Starbase isn't a PvE game. So if we omit "other", we can reply "The fact that is a player-driven game that has no 'PvE content' beyond resource extraction and potentially hostile environments."

There, that's my troll-feeding duties done for the day.
Why are the devs focused on PVE features then and there are no pvp mechanics to find pvp out in space?

Womble

Veteran endo
Why are the devs focused on PVE features then and there are no pvp mechanics to find pvp out in space?
Because you need resources to build things to fight with. And you have to have something to fight over, which is going to be resource-based locations, AFAICT. Remember, this game is still building its basis for future expansion; you have to have an environment that hangs together before you can get down to the fun stuff of contesting within it.

Because you need resources to build things to fight with. And you have to have something to fight over, which is going to be resource-based locations, AFAICT. Remember, this game is still building its basis for future expansion; you have to have an environment that hangs together before you can get down to the fun stuff of contesting within it.
This is a slippery slope that leads to the abomination that is star citizen

blazemonger

Veteran endo
What PVE features? Mining and building I would not consider PVE features, they are "just" game mechanics.

That there is no immediate focus on PVP right now and for the remainder of the year (according to the roadmap) really makes sense as several underlying mechanics (like the radiation one) wil need to come in before PVP can really be revisited, refined and balanced.

Womble

Veteran endo
This is a slippery slope that leads to the abomination that is star citizen
SC is the way it is because of feature creep not "setting up the basic fabric of the game". SB always needed the things the devs are getting tested* now; it was never going to stop being "early access" until the things we have, and the things that we will have, just around the corner, and the things that are barely peeking over the horizon, are done and live. The only commonality, to date, is that they are both early access releases with a one-and-done payment model. Come back and make the comparison when SB is 3-4 years down the line. Maybe there'll be parallels by then, or maybe SB will have actually gone "full release".