YOLOL looks fantastic.

I've been waiting for this game since I heard about it last year, I'm really hoping it goes open beta before the year is out. To the point of this post though.

I just recently retired from the Dual Universe beta after two months, and while it's not a bad game, it's sorely lacking in direction and I don't enjoy its style of combat. On the topic of programming I absolutely love the implementation that Starbase went with. DU uses LUA, and while not bad, it has a terrible interface and can be cumbersome to do even simple things. It's not insurmountably complex or anything, but the YOLOL system puts it to shame with it's potentially deep, but still approachable system. I'm not unfamiliar with programming, but I don't really want a full OOP language in my MMO. The YOLOL system seems to be very "bare metal" basic, and with appropriate limitations for the size of each "program".

I also love the fast that each controllable element has an interface showing explicitly the various programmable states and attributes that can be read from it - you can even name them! All around I'm extremely excited to get to try this system out in my future ship building endeavors! I'll keep researching the system and stay active around the forums. The developers of this game seem to really know what they're doing, and unlike DU, are actually creating gameplay loops and defined systems for PvP prior to releasing. This is not to bash DU, it'll be a fine game in the end I'm sure, just not one for me.

This technically might have been better to put in the general discussion or even the introductions considering I'm new here, I wasn't really sure.

Last edited:

five

Master endo
I've been waiting for this game since I heard about it last year, I'm really hoping it goes open beta before the year is out. To the point of this post though.

I just recently retired from the Dual Universe beta after two months, and while it's not a bad game, it's sorely lacking in direction and I don't enjoy its style of combat. On the topic of programming I absolutely love the implementation that Starbase went with. DU uses LUA, and while not bad, it has a terrible interface and can be cumbersome to do even simple things. It's not insurmountably complex or anything, but the YOLOL system puts it to shame with it's potentially deep, but still approachable system. I'm not unfamiliar with programming, but I don't really want a full OOP language in my MMO. The YOLOL system seems to be very "bare metal" basic, and with appropriate limitations for the size of each "program".

I also love the fast that each controllable element has an interface showing explicitly the various programmable states and attributes that can be read from it - you can even name them! All around I'm extremely excited to get to try this system out in my future ship building endeavors! I'll keep researching the system and stay active around the forums. The developers of this game seem to really know what they're doing, and unlike DU, are actually creating gameplay loops and defined systems for PvP prior to releasing. This is not to bash DU, it'll be a fine game in the end I'm sure, just not one for me.

This technically might have been better to put in the general discussion or even the introductions considering I'm new here, I wasn't really sure.
First of all since its about YOLOL its fine to put it to other YOLOL threads in my humble opinion. Secondly: Its always nice having new people on the forum so even if you're only interested in YOLOL maybe also go check out other threads. And yes, being able to name the device fields is so much better

First of all since its about YOLOL its fine to put it to other YOLOL threads in my humble opinion. Secondly: Its always nice having new people on the forum so even if you're only interested in YOLOL maybe also go check out other threads. And yes, being able to name the device fields is so much better
Oh, I'm interested in playing the game in general. It's just the YOLOL system struck me as something that was exceptionally well implemented in contrast what what I was coming from. It's all to common to just implement whatever off the shelf programming language that will suit the situation into the game and calling it good. The YOLOL language seems to be something that pretty much everyone will end up using due to its ease of getting started with it. This is opposed to the DU situation, which has a very large API that's only accessible through a non-searchable ingame help menu. Something as simple as creating a non-blocking asynchronous loop in a normal programming language in order to create some delay can be done simply by moving the next statement down a few lines with the YOLOL system.

This method of spacing out statements to get the desired delay is excellent from the perspective of protecting against infinite loops crashing peoples PCs or the server, and it simplifies things. I do wonder though, is there a way to delay the execution of an entire YOLOL chip? Say you wanted a subroutine or function to run at a particular time, could you put it on a chip and call it from another? And in general, is there a way to create timers for delays that go past the practical limitations of the 0.2s per line tick rate?

In general I just think Frozenbyte has their shiz together in contrast to other games that aren't entirely sure what they plan on doing with many of their critical systems.

five

Master endo
Oh, I'm interested in playing the game in general. It's just the YOLOL system struck me as something that was exceptionally well implemented in contrast what what I was coming from. It's all to common to just implement whatever off the shelf programming language that will suit the situation into the game and calling it good. The YOLOL language seems to be something that pretty much everyone will end up using due to its ease of getting started with it. This is opposed to the DU situation, which has a very large API that's only accessible through a non-searchable ingame help menu. Something as simple as creating a non-blocking asynchronous loop in a normal programming language in order to create some delay can be done simply by moving the next statement down a few lines with the YOLOL system.

This method of spacing out statements to get the desired delay is excellent from the perspective of protecting against infinite loops crashing peoples PCs or the server, and it simplifies things. I do wonder though, is there a way to delay the execution of an entire YOLOL chip? Say you wanted a subroutine or function to run at a particular time, could you put it on a chip and call it from another? And in general, is there a way to create timers for delays that go past the practical limitations of the 0.2s per line tick rate?

In general I just think Frozenbyte has their shiz together in contrast to other games that aren't entirely sure what they plan on doing with many of their critical systems.
As far as I know you can do that with memory chips. Its like a database crossplatform for multiple variables. So if you would want to start a sub routine, maybe you change a Variable in YOLOL Chip A (Bool variable), which then starts a secondary YOLOL Chip B

MyrddinE

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
I do wonder though, is there a way to delay the execution of an entire YOLOL chip?
Absolutely. A chip has a field on it that's the delay (how many ticks should it wait between executing each line). 0 is the default, so no delay, so the chip executes 5 lines per second. But bump that to 1 and the chip executes only 2.5 lines per second; up to 4 and it's only executing one line per second. Set it to -1 and the chip pauses!

Plus you can set this field from another chip, and you can have the usual constructs like loops, so one chip could be:
Code:
i=0
i++ if i>100 then :otherChip=0 i=0 else :otherChip=-1 end goto 2
This will wait 20 seconds (100 lines) and then execute one line on otherChip before pausing that other chip again the next tick. This is a simple example (which could more easily be accomplished by setting otherChip to 100) but you can see how complex controls could start and stop other chips as needed, creating a state machine where each chip is a state and the chips transfer control to other chips when the right conditions apply.

Have you tried the space engineers in game programming blocks, uses C#. It is very powerful but terribly documented and has performance problems. I am hoping we get similar functionality without the drawbacks.

MyrddinE

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Have you tried the space engineers in game programming blocks, uses C#. It is very powerful but terribly documented and has performance problems. I am hoping we get similar functionality without the drawbacks.
We will not get 'similar functionality'. YOLOL is worse than C#, hands down. What you can do in YOLOL is far more limited. However, it's a lot easier to use because it's integrated with the world better, so there's that.

XenoCow

Master endo
I'm excited you're excited about YOLOL!

I'm not the best programmer myself, but I have been surprised to find that I am getting to use digital circuits and control theories to help me manage the systems on my ships. Lots of finite state machines and constant controllers. :p