How does the Saltberia prison work?

Vyir

Endokid
After reading through the forums and on Discord, the devs clearly give the idea that:

A) they don't like social engineering and that those who try to fool gullible players should be banned/warned, and players foolish enough to fall for scams and trust random players from the moment they open the game should be reimbursed and comforted. One dev even called EVE online a "mess", and despite all the actual things wrong with that game, they point their finger towards regular players freely using "social engineering" as a fault of the game (which is a sandbox btw). Apparently having free will in a sandbox to fool or scam gullible people is the real issue with EVE online and probably other sandboxes as well. One supportive player even suggested that being negative or manipulating people is against "common sense", so that already gives me a hint of the environment this game wants as well as the type of people it attracts. The devs also take a similar stance on toxicity, and stated in their rules that "Toxic Abuse" (which is so poorly defined that I assume any particular admin or dev can interpret that anyway they want to ban players they don't like) can result in permanent bans.

B) The devs would like to handle "misbehaving" players in the future by using game mechanics rather than injecting themselves as God to judge players. So far, the only thing that has been mentioned is the Saltberia Prison.

B) is what I want to know about. Exactly how will the prison work mechanically? Do players literally get a lengthy in-game timeout and can't play the game or 80% of its content anymore because they did something the devs consider morally wrong? What's the vision for the Saltberia prison and handling players who do things the devs do not personally like?

Last edited:

Tagarik

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
B) is what I want to know about. Exactly how will the prison work mechanically? Do players literally get a lengthy in-game timeout and can't play the game or 80% of its content anymore because they did something the devs consider morally wrong? What's the vision for the Saltberia prison and handling players who do things the devs do not personally like?
I'd like to see such mechanics as devs would set up bounties on these players, and upon killing the person, they'd get send to an enclosed structure called "Saltberia" prison (similar to what Star Citizen has right now)

A) seems to be a rant on the ever so old carebears vs e1it3s dichotomies' in a ton of games. It will never be solved to everyone's satisfaction.

Second B) If they do the jail thing, I hope they do it much much better than Archeage did it. It was ineffectual to say the least. I love the idea, but it has to have weight.

Personally, I don't mind them protecting the new recruits to some measure or even a great measure. It keeps new players from quitting their game (the opposite of what a gaming company would want).

As a factual matter, a person old enough to survive to adulthood in the Starbase world, would know how not to be scammed, while a newb actual player would not, generally speaking.

If people are so limited in their abilities in personal gain that they need to sit around and think of ways to "scam" people, maybe gaming isn't for them. I hear they have jobs on Wall Street for that.

Cheers!

Orlover

Well-known endo
Player run prison? It would be entertaining, but pretty horrific at the same time. Maybe if we set up viewing stations so we can all watch.....