some ideas for the game

so you see pve and npcs and story driven games that are single player and have been huge hits for years before the more modern number of multiplayer games only trend took place?

so dark souls is just a mobile game which no one actually liked to play they just did because they didnt know any better?

and how is starbase not just a "copycat" of call of duty, or games like that if its going to be purely pvp based.

Valheim is single player pve co op. how many didnt know any better there?
Ark is a pve full of life game which then has pvp in it too. probably only sold like 100 copies right?
I honestly cant even understand what youre trying to say anymore... you want a game with literally nothing in it
This is not a single player game. Them being popular has zero relevance here.

Iron Maiden

Learned-to-sprint endo
not to compare games but even ARK gave the players something to do/test for bugs and help the game develop too.
I'm not saying all of this would come all at once and the devs drop everything. but I do think they need some very basic foundations for a few things to keep people playing (which then the players can report bugs and find new bugs etc further polishing the game) even if its really basic I think they need to introduce something or a few somethings to do in this category. Myth of empires for example, many played and still play it as it drops to EA. I have a lot of hours in it. the npc wildlife that I encountered was extremely basic. it looked very bland and the movement of a bear was faster than a horse to the point it would zip around and hit like a truck. trying to aim arrows at something zipping around awkwardly was difficult but I still did it and trained hunting and etc. many others did too. we understood it was very basic and far from perfect but it unlocked new paths for us to explore from its materials/ risks of fighting/taming.

same can be said for ARK in its early days the raptors were lightning bolts and pretty much impossible to outrun or survive. would spawn on the beach and you would die as you are spawning often. the other dinos too. even tames would get killed by random bs or fall through the ground and be gone (tames took hours in the game too so was very sad loss) but people still played it knowing it was very basic and early on. theyve obviously improved on those things a lot and the players helped them find a lot of exploits/bugs so they could get them sorted before its full release.

I definitely agree that they need to focus on the games foundation priority highest. but I think they need to use this valuable time to bring people in and grow their community, their bug testers and then those players tell their friends and it spreads to a healthy playerbase. We need something that will pull people in for this. if we just chill with 0 players until the game releases then thats such a huge waste of resources on testers.. then on release people flock (possibly) and game breaking bugs occur that never got found because they had no testers for anything they have now. and they get bug after bug to the point theyre overwhelmed and the players start leaving.

Definitely not saying drop everything and introduce these suggestions. just giving a very detailed list/run down of the suggestions and what they could become in the future. they could start very basic and very simple asap (some not all of the suggestions just to keep players doing something enjoyable) even if its broken and let the players know it wont be perfect then continue work on whatever theyre working on atm while they get feedback on bugs from their steady playerbase. Doesnt even have to be my ideas like I said before, im just brainstorming to spark ideas/inspiration for other players making suggestions and the devs. (obviously id love to see these ideas I made in the game tho)

Jasperagus

Well-known endo
Yes, which is exactly what all the people who decided to stop playing Starbase out of boredom did.
People got bored of Starbase because there isn't much to do whether if it's with players or not. I'm not saying PVE wouldn't help keep players engaged or give them something to do but if Starbase becomes what it says it wants to be then it doesn't need PVE so working towards what it wants to be is more important as that would solve the issue of people getting bored.

-woodcutting
-fishing
-hunting
It'd be so much work to add all this stuff and it wouldn't have a reason for existing beyond just being there and something you can do.

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
if Starbase becomes what it says it wants to be then it doesn't need PVE
Even the player-driven sandbox MMOs that Starbase aspires to be have game-driven content. It's necessary to provide players with things to do in the world on an hour-to-hour basis when other players can't.

Last edited:

Jasperagus

Well-known endo
Even the player-driven sandbox MMOs that Starbase aspires to be have game-driven content. It's necessary to provide players with things to do in the world on an hour-to-hour basis when other players can't.
Yeah I wouldn't mind some sort of PVE that's there if you want it. It's not like it would change the game just provide players with something.

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
Right, exactly. PvP and PvE aren't contrary gameplay elements. The often work best in unison. PvE gives players reasons to be out in the world's more dangerous places, and PvP emerges naturally from those players competing with one another over PvE goals.

Seat-Weld

Learned-to-sprint endo
if Starbase becomes what it says it wants to be then it doesn't need PVE
In theory? Yes. In practice? It's a little more complicated.

Relying EXCLUSIVELY on player driven content/player-to-player interactions is a pretty dangerous strategy, even if such a game is technically and mechanically possible. Reason being that the game lives or dies based on those interactions, and you can't always guarantee players will take the initiative even when it's completely possible. It's just an inertia thing.

Giving plenty of mundane activities for the twenty guys who just want to futz around in space to occupy themselves with is what enables the one guy who wants to build a warp gate to Mars to do so, and justify doing it in the first place. It doesn't even necessarily have to do with NPCs or hostile mobs, just anything that's not flying to the belt to whack rocks repeatedly.

working towards what it wants to be is more important
It should definitely take precedence, but there probably needs be some other external things to support those bones at some point. At least until there's a more active player base to fill those gaps.

TERACOOL

Learned-to-sprint endo
Author do you understand what you were playing? This is not warcraft or even Eve online. It's more like Space Engineers in an open world, with MMORPG elements. There will never be fishing, hunting))), pets, and magic spells (I hope), because this is a game created by engineers for engineers. We engineers play this game because we want to compete with each other in the ability to build (develop). The whole game screams at you about it: the YO LOL programming language, various control mechanisms, the resistance of materials. Have you ever wondered why there is still no map in the game? Or some kind of navigation. (even in the roadmap) I will answer you. Because the navigation process in the game must be implemented by the players themselves. Which is what we do. For example ISAN. I am the author of my own VECTOR M1 navigation system, which I will publish on the wiki in due course. There are other cool engineers who develop various weapons systems, targeting. There is a battle of brains. This game in which to fly 1000 km without special systems is not an easy task. AND THAT'S GOOD!!!
The developers are challenging us with this game. And the more hardcore it is, the better. No navigation, no maps, or anything else is needed. The players themselves will develop and implement all this and it will be cool.

And what you are suggesting, I'm sorry, but this is a kindergarten. All this is in hundreds of other projects about space and not only. If you are not an engineer and are not engaged in development, you are not here. Don't waste your time.

TERACOOL

Learned-to-sprint endo
We've seen official concept art for an in-game galaxy map, so I wouldn't necessarily count on "no maps" lasting forever. If anything, it's a necessary tool for territory PvP and pretty important for onboarding new players. I'm all in favor of in-game maps, especially if they have territory indicators like EVE's sovereignty maps.
If it's some kind of implementation based on YO LOL and pixel panels, then I also support it, but if it's a ready-made unknown magic screen that works somehow. Then I'm against it. This breaks the whole concept of the game. Transponders are quite enough for PVP.

Iron Maiden

Learned-to-sprint endo
Author do you understand what you were playing? This is not warcraft or even Eve online. It's more like Space Engineers in an open world, with MMORPG elements. There will never be fishing, hunting))), pets, and magic spells (I hope), because this is a game created by engineers for engineers. We engineers play this game because we want to compete with each other in the ability to build (develop). The whole game screams at you about it: the YO LOL programming language, various control mechanisms, the resistance of materials. Have you ever wondered why there is still no map in the game? Or some kind of navigation. (even in the roadmap) I will answer you. Because the navigation process in the game must be implemented by the players themselves. Which is what we do. For example ISAN. I am the author of my own VECTOR M1 navigation system, which I will publish on the wiki in due course. There are other cool engineers who develop various weapons systems, targeting. There is a battle of brains. This game in which to fly 1000 km without special systems is not an easy task. AND THAT'S GOOD!!!
The developers are challenging us with this game. And the more hardcore it is, the better. No navigation, no maps, or anything else is needed. The players themselves will develop and implement all this and it will be cool.

And what you are suggesting, I'm sorry, but this is a kindergarten. All this is in hundreds of other projects about space and not only. If you are not an engineer and are not engaged in development, you are not here. Don't waste your time.

yea I already touched on that, it would be extra options im suggesting and it wouldnt take away the brain side of things would expand on it with the eengineering professions and that kind of thing. and like I said before im not smart enough to figure out the game as is tbh. I'm not an engineer irl and the majority of the population isnt either. I dont think the game should lock them out and only focus on a small group of players. its a video game afterall. in which case I guess if the games planned to be designed only for genius's me and others like me should just get a refund I guess.

my suggestions would make the game for everyone not just the einsteins of the planet who happen to play video games. and it would make the engineering profession/skill among others very profitable and a full industry for these people. where they can sell their droids/clones/machine blueprints or physical things to players who arent smart enough to design them. idk if a battle of brains is a good idea, sounds like a very small number of people competing to outsmart eachother and only them. I mean lets say your idea of it is what happens and you have person A trying to outsmart person b c and d. They design a super cool all new never before seen whatever. who they gonna sell it to or whos gonna care? they aint gonna sell it to those other genius's those others can just make their own easily... and then if the only people playing are these genius's then who would ever need it when they could just make it. not to mention a small playerbase.

like im not saying the game should remove its complex stuff but it should be a skill/profession for the people smart enough to then supply the others who want to enjoy other things in the game. just my opinion tho, like I said before the devs wont see this and probably think the same way as you. but thats a very small number of players...

I mean how many people play video game from the total population on earth, then how many of those are engineers or smart enough to be, then how many of those are interested in a space game or want to "work" while playing a video game when they already do that for a living. I cant imagine theres that many but I've been wrong before and will be wrong again so who knows.

TERACOOL

Learned-to-sprint endo
yea I already touched on that, it would be extra options im suggesting and it wouldnt take away the brain side of things would expand on it with the eengineering professions and that kind of thing. and like I said before im not smart enough to figure out the game as is tbh. I'm not an engineer irl and the majority of the population isnt either. I dont think the game should lock them out and only focus on a small group of players. its a video game afterall. in which case I guess if the games planned to be designed only for genius's me and others like me should just get a refund I guess.

my suggestions would make the game for everyone not just the einsteins of the planet who happen to play video games. and it would make the engineering profession/skill among others very profitable and a full industry for these people. where they can sell their droids/clones/machine blueprints or physical things to players who arent smart enough to design them. idk if a battle of brains is a good idea, sounds like a very small number of people competing to outsmart eachother and only them. I mean lets say your idea of it is what happens and you have person A trying to outsmart person b c and d. They design a super cool all new never before seen whatever. who they gonna sell it to or whos gonna care? they aint gonna sell it to those other genius's those others can just make their own easily... and then if the only people playing are these genius's then who would ever need it when they could just make it. not to mention a small playerbase.

like im not saying the game should remove its complex stuff but it should be a skill/profession for the people smart enough to then supply the others who want to enjoy other things in the game. just my opinion tho, like I said before the devs wont see this and probably think the same way as you. but thats a very small number of players...

I mean how many people play video game from the total population on earth, then how many of those are engineers or smart enough to be, then how many of those are interested in a space game or want to "work" while playing a video game when they already do that for a living. I cant imagine theres that many but I've been wrong before and will be wrong again so who knows.
This is different. This is an opportunity to compete in a different context. In a world that lives by its own laws, in which these laws are made by the players themselves. Yes, we write code at work, then we come home and write code at home on YO LOL, because we like to write code that changes everything around. The only difference is that at work we change the world for someone, and here we change the world for ourselves the way we want. This is a game where everything completely depends on us. Where there is only to do and our code that breathes life into dead machines. If you know more than others, then you will rule this world. In real life, it's not like that at all. And in games like Eve online it's not like that at all. There, the world is controlled by the one who spent more time in it extracting resources and destroying NPCs in an attempt to pump maximum perks. If Starbase does not change this concept, it will become a great game.

And for those who do not know how to develop in the game, it is already possible to buy finished products for in-game currency. Very soon I will post a new navigation system and you will be able to use it for free (on wiki). There are millions of people like me. We developed Linux, and a bunch of software for it, all for free. So it will be in this game. We will compete in the development of new technologies that will be used by StarBase wars and miners, and all this will be free and available to every player. I'm sure.

The main thing is that the game developers would challenge us. Then there will be excitement to do something first (well, or among the first)

Iron Maiden

Learned-to-sprint endo
This is different. This is an opportunity to compete in a different context. In a world that lives by its own laws, in which these laws are made by the players themselves. Yes, we write code at work, then we come home and write code at home on YO LOL, because we like to write code that changes everything around. The only difference is that at work we change the world for someone, and here we change the world for ourselves the way we want. This is a game where everything completely depends on us. Where there is only to do and our code that breathes life into dead machines. If you know more than others, then you will rule this world. In real life, it's not like that at all. And in games like Eve online it's not like that at all. There, the world is controlled by the one who spent more time in it extracting resources and destroying NPCs in an attempt to pump maximum perks. If Starbase does not change this concept, it will become a great game.

And for those who do not know how to develop in the game, it is already possible to buy finished products for in-game currency. Very soon I will post a new navigation system and you will be able to use it for free (on wiki). There are millions of people like me. We developed Linux, and a bunch of software for it, all for free. So it will be in this game. We will compete in the development of new technologies that will be used by StarBase wars and miners, and all this will be free and available to every player. I'm sure.

The main thing is that the game developers would challenge us. Then there will be excitement to do something first (well, or among the first)

I havent played since release, and I dont think theres any players online to use your code anyways atm (everytime I check steam charts its no ones playing) maybe its bugged out idk but wouldnt it be more enjoyable to have a massive playerbase and being a small few able to do something and make a company or show off/sell your creations? like you could design the best military ground vehicles/droids and the best military space fleets.
you could design the best of the best automation industrial machinery or a mobile ship with it built in. you could design and create the best clone army and sell them with the machines you create as a bundle. You could become famous in the galaxy and get orders for certain themes.
Like one group may ask you to design an aquatic clone army and underwater coral/seaweed machine. among so many others based on biomes.
If one group lives underwater they can use that to their advantage and will likely need clones/droid/machines/buildings that can also go under water. maybe by default all ships cant fly underwater and need some special designs to fight off fresh or salt water erosion and etc.

some other group could ask you to design them a ewok/kashyyyk type tree platform or multiple and you could even work on it at their base or make/sell them the blueprint.

and the machinery could be anything from star wars, your own imagination and so on. you could create a walking machine with railguns on its back to shoot down invading ships from the sky. wouldnt that be more of a challenge? I cant imagine trying to best 4 other people on who can design the fastest ship and no one but them sees it and they dont actually care since they can just make it themselves.

also you can design a logo/product mark on each thing that basically advertises for you. lets say a team just fought the scariest droid army that 10 took out 100 of theirs and they were shocked, they go to the scrap on the ground and they see your product info then can seek you out and request you to custom make a certain themed droid for them too.

TERACOOL

Learned-to-sprint endo
YOLOL is cool but I'm not sure it's the defining characteristic of Starbase. The game has, and should support, multiple pillars of gameplay beyond just programming.
May be, but YOLOL is a conceptual aspect that uniquely determines the fact that the game will not be casual. This is the first. And secondly, this means that the players will have to implement everything in the game on their own, and the developers will only throw up small details. This is the basic concept of the game. Do you understand what I mean? Everything else will be built around this concept.
In fact, this is the first game in the world where a built-in programming language is used in this genre.

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
May be, but YOLOL is a conceptual aspect that uniquely determines the fact that the game will not be casual.
Right now the game isn't much of anything because it hardly has any players. Probably because it doesn't do enough to attract and retain them.

And secondly, this means that the players will have to implement everything in the game on their own, and the developers will only throw up small details.
That's really not true at all. The developers can, should, and will add plenty of additional elements to the game, including elements that supplant YOLOL programming (like a dedicated in-game map). They pretty much have to, or else the game will stay functionally dead the way it is right now. The existence of YOLOL doesn't prevent Frozenbyte from making Starbase into an actual game.

In fact, this is the first game in the world where a built-in programming language is used in this genre.
Which genre are you referring to? Because in each recognizable genre that Starbase overlaps with, I can think of at least one game that predates it and includes an in-game programming language.