Regarding Reddit: Mods and Censoring

Sweez

This is not the place for reddit discussion.
I have moved this thread to General Chat instead.

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
Oddly enough the only time I had experience censorship was from a mod and honestly it was kind of annoying. It was related to the Soon Videos many people including myself though they were joke videos not knowing they had a relevance to the up coming videos. In fact were almost sure one of them did but beside the fact there was drama and issues and honestly the only time I witness or seen any kind of censorship been more on actual Moderators then Devs.

That being said since then the Moderators been quite cool and chill these days (props) and honestly the devs seem far from causing censorship. Not only that there is so many other game companies where devs do have moderation powers and tools even on reddit.

Just because there has been a few bad apples does not mean their all bad.

Honestly a Prime example is /r/help where admins are there ;)

In my books it's more drama then needed and not sure even why it's such a big deal that is now spreading to the forums.

Kimsemus

Well-known endo
Here is the thread where this was brought up before in the sub (linking your post so people can see the thread itself: https://www.reddit.com/r/starbase/comments/bzafub
Overall, having company employees moderating their own subreddit isn't technically against the rules, but it is heavily, heavily, HEAVILY frowned upon, and reddit admins have and will shut down or quarantine a sub if abuse is perceived.

FB probably has enough moderators now to replace themselves on the sub, and if they don't, there are enough of us to choose from who understand how the peculiarities of reddit work.

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
FB probably has enough moderators now to replace themselves on the sub, and if they don't, there are enough of us to choose from who understand how the peculiarities of reddit work.
Well from Past Admin Abuse on Reddit how is reddit not shutdown lol.

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
:p

Either way I do put a lot of trust and faith into FB but honestly it's up to them and if there is really a demand for it I guess it could not hurt or hopefully not lol. I'm surprised with such a demand for it though. I guess people went to have a place they can vent without worry about being banned, etc.

Kimsemus

Well-known endo
:p

Either way I do put a lot of trust and faith into FB but honestly it's up to them and if there is really a demand for it I guess it could not hurt or hopefully not lol. I'm surprised with such a demand for it though. I guess people went to have a place they can vent without worry about being banned, etc.
My opinion dealing with devs is "trust, but verify." I like the FB employees I've talked to, but at this point there is really no reason not to comply with established reddiquete.

EllaFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
We don't actually do any moderating on reddit, so it would be a great time for us to step back. I'll try to remember to discuss this tomorrow at the office, maybe someone could poke me again if I forget it during the night. :D

Kimsemus

Well-known endo
We don't actually do any moderating on reddit, so it would be a great time for us to step back. I'll try to remember to discuss this tomorrow at the office, maybe someone could poke me again if I forget it during the night. :D
I wish I had a like button for this post ;)

Variabug

Well-known endo
Nice. I do see the problem as we've seen time and time again devs causing problems with their own communities by censorship or abuse. I really haven't had any problems with the moderation staff on discord though but I do know the temptation is always there.

Vloshko

Well-known endo
Thank you

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
We have since recruited outside moderators to reddit and continue doing that, so I don't really think there's an issue anymore. But the subreddit still needs more outside moderators and I think fastest way to get them is that we continue looking for them.

We haven't moderated any discussion and continue not to, unless it's clearly against reddiquette. I myself just don't go to platforms which have discussions I don't want to participate and that solves the problem. Personally I think reddit has taken turn to worse and we while we are not going to contribute to the problem we are neither a solution to it.

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
We have since recruited outside moderators to reddit and continue doing that, so I don't really think there's an issue anymore. But the subreddit still needs more outside moderators and I think fastest way to get them is that we continue looking for them.

We haven't moderated any discussion and continue not to, unless it's clearly against reddiquette. I myself just don't go to platforms which have discussions I don't want to participate and that solves the problem. Personally I think reddit has taken turn to worse and we while we are not going to contribute to the problem we are neither a solution to it.
Presses The Like Button

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
One further thought: I don't understand why any subreddit cencors anything, it's the best way to ensure everyone on the planet will know about the issue. Some failed cencorship attempt and five million people reading about it is a daily show in reddit. Granted, the drama is sometimes fun to read, but gets tiresome fast. And it's definitely not in our marketing book or in any other playbook.

I think the best way to ensure there's no powertripping mods is that our people, who are paid to be professional (and are one of the best community people there are in my opinion), keep also tabs on things. I'm not saying it must be reddit also, but in general at least.

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
One further thought: I don't understand why any subreddit cencors anything, it's the best way to ensure everyone on the planet will know about the issue. Some failed cencorship attempt and five million people reading about it is a daily show in reddit. Granted, the drama is sometimes fun to read, but gets tiresome fast. And it's definitely not in our marketing book or in any other playbook.

I think the best way to ensure there's no powertripping mods is that our people, who are paid to be professional (and are one of the best community people there are in my opinion), keep also tabs on things. I'm not saying it must be reddit also, but in general at least.
I 100% agree with you. This sort of why I made the argument before and now even though I was caving in because people don't really agree with me on these points. I mean nothing wrong with these mods and their decent people so far. Are they all using 2 Step authentication? Are their brains matured and I mean scientifically people can change a lot in their teens, late teens and even 20's to early 30's. I seen people who were perfect and amazing people for several years and then all the sudden a switch goes off on them.

It's one the reasons why all my game servers are very limited access for mods in them. They don't have anything really besides kick, ban, teleport, etc. We don't give them powers that can just snap out of the blue and cause us a lot of damage.

Look at subreddits like WoW, NMS, and many other games where the mods of those subreddits went full out crazy.

Once again these mods are great and I don't want them to think I'm saying other wise. But humans are humans and unless everyone signing their life away and personal info and even then it's just not worth the risk overall.

Also on the moderation I agree 100%. It's reddit it self moderates. If people not happy with posts they downvote them. You be amazed how many large subreddits have attempted to turn it into heavy moderated forum like system.... That is what forums are for lol.

EllaFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
The amount of Frozenbyte moderators on r/starbase has now decreased to two. The ones still hanging around are Kai from marketing and myself from support. Neither of us does any moderation on reddit, but I did just use the tools to add a link to the sidebar. We are hanging around in case all our mods decide that they want to quit playing videogames or they get run over by a car (this car example is used often at the office when we talk about how all needed info should be available for others, and during one of our game announcements there actually was a minor incident that involved a Frozenbyte employee and a car...).

I'm pretty sure have I never during these 3 years deleted any messages on reddit. I think that everyone has a right to express their support, opinions and critique in a way they feel suitable. So everyone is free to vent there without fearing a ban from our side. Everyone is also free to vent here as long as the posts have meaningful content and they aren't super offensive.

NoName

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
The amount of Frozenbyte moderators on r/starbase has now decreased to two. The ones still hanging around are Kai from marketing and myself from support. Neither of us does any moderation on reddit, but I did just use the tools to add a link to the sidebar. We are hanging around in case all our mods decide that they want to quit playing videogames or they get run over by a car (this car example is used often at the office when we talk about how all needed info should be available for others, and during one of our game announcements there actually was a minor incident that involved a Frozenbyte employee and a car...).

I'm pretty sure have I never during these 3 years deleted any messages on reddit. I think that everyone has a right to express their support, opinions and critique in a way they feel suitable. So everyone is free to vent there without fearing a ban from our side. Everyone is also free to vent here as long as the posts have meaningful content and they aren't super offensive.
Thank you for the insight and explanation! Hope you don't get run over by a car!

Burnside

Master endo
Late observation: the community here seems to be in a comfy state of controlled, semi-formed chaos and the devs and mods seem happy with the general milieu, we appear to regulate each other, this pleases me.