Starbase Maps!!

Azelous

Veteran endo
Space is BIG. Maybe we need maps?
  • If we had maps, what do you think should be on the maps?
  • Are they just part of the ui, or are they data that you can share?
  • What can you do with the maps?
So far as I know, maps haven't been mentioned, I'd like to know what everyone thinks on the topic!

Atreties

Veteran endo
I know that there's a group who mapped the world of Worlds Adrift for years that's planning to create an interactive 3d map of Starbase.

This is not ingame, so not perfect, but it will be functional for early stages of EA.

Azelous

Veteran endo
I know that there's a group who mapped the world of Worlds Adrift for years that's planning to create an interactive 3d map of Starbase.

This is not ingame, so not perfect, but it will be functional for early stages of EA.
I would personally prefer a mapping system implemented by the developers, relying on modders can, but does not always lead to an enjoyable end result. I would definitely enjoy mapping being tied to YOLOL, which modders would not be able to do. (and if they can, there goes the .2 delay per line of code)

Atreties

Veteran endo
I would personally prefer a mapping system implemented by the developers, relying on modders can, but does not always lead to an enjoyable end result. I would definitely enjoy mapping being tied to YOLOL, which modders would not be able to do. (and if they can, there goes the .2 delay per line of code)
Right. Ingame solutions are better than 3rd party things.

But it will be a functional tool that will work for early days of EA. Frozenbyte have many, many things to work on, and something that already has a functional solution should be low on the list compared to more direct content features like different sensors, ship tools, weapons, space anomalies, etc

Saltylelele

Well-known endo
A map would be very interesting indeed. Though keeping track of it will be kinda hard with everything expanding quickly

Huursa

Well-known endo
Im gon be makin Alliance/Coalition influence maps for Starbase just like I did for Atlas.

Morrgard

Master endo
I would personally hope for some sort of in-game map system, having something external is not something I would enjoy, I'd want to keep it centralized as much as possible.

Amos.37

Veteran endo
A simple enough ingame solution would be a list of POI's, accessible through the universal tool, that lists stations and transponders within range. When selected, the POI's location, or even just coordinates (XYZ) are shown. This would allow relatively easy navigation with just coordinates, and allow people to create maps of known POI's. Players could create their own POI waypoints, such as lucrative mining spots, nav bouys for trade routes, etc, and share them if they wanted. It's not as fancy as a 3d map, but it would be easy to implement, effective, and allow for players to make their own maps if they wanted.
I will admit I would love to see a faction map room with a holo map display showing POI's, trade routes, etc.

Azelous

Veteran endo
Were gonna need more than a 3d map, since its space.
Thankfully, I'm pretty sure the devs are limiting their scope to only three dimensions.
A simple enough ingame solution would be a list of POI's, accessible through the universal tool, that lists stations and transponders within range. When selected, the POI's location, or even just coordinates (XYZ) are shown. This would allow relatively easy navigation with just coordinates, and allow people to create maps of known POI's. Players could create their own POI waypoints, such as lucrative mining spots, nav bouys for trade routes, etc, and share them if they wanted. It's not as fancy as a 3d map, but it would be easy to implement, effective, and allow for players to make their own maps if they wanted.
I will admit I would love to see a faction map room with a holo map display showing POI's, trade routes, etc.
POI's would be the essence of most any sort of map, not sure what you mean by "fancy as a 3d map".

Azelous

Veteran endo
I would personally hope for some sort of in-game map system, having something external is not something I would enjoy, I'd want to keep it centralized as much as possible.
Having played a bit of Elite Dangerous, it's not too fun having to rely on third party tools to feel relevant in terms of return on trading. Especially when in VR, where you have to continually take off the headset to look a the third party tool, put it back on to play the game, take it off to confirm the info is correct..

There are already many solutions for how to create a map, all with Yolol.
There are already many factions that want to publish their maps/navigation tools.
i dont think we really need a map in the UI since a part of the games design is that the UI will be very minimalistic and the community should solve such problems. of course that creates some problems but i like the idea of having a community based game (think about Worlds Adrift)

Amos.37

Veteran endo
POI's would be the essence of most any sort of map, not sure what you mean by "fancy as a 3d map".[/QUOTE]

I mean that it may not necessarily be a 3D display, like a holographic map or a separate screen, but could be simply a list of coordinates accessible through the universal tool. I would like there to be a 3D map, but could easily see this being something you have to build or access through a terminal on a station or large ship, not something you just have on you all the time. Whereas the list of coordinates and POIs on your universal tool would always be accessible.

You could then also have antennae and such built onto ships and stations to improve the range of POI detection, so a large ship or station could detect other ships and such at much greater distances than a player on their own could. This would mean that listening posts, stations dedicated to tracking and mapping the movement of ships via their transponders, would be a viable tactic. One faction could build small listening posts in or on the edge of a rivals territory, and track the number of ships coming in and out of a territory. Couple this with spy missions to identify the class of ship each transponder belongs to, you could effectively spy on a faction to learn their military strength, useful information prior to an attack.

It would add several elements of gameplay to map making, exploration and espionage, more so than a Fog'o'war mechanic where once you've been somewhere it is automatically mapped.

It could just as easily be a dedicated map display, showing POIs that are within detection range as blips on the map, but I'd like map displays to be a little more special than just 'everyone automatically has one.'

To be completely clear, I am referring to a 3D map as navigational display, not the playable area.

^has already been declined.
look in (i think it was) the QnA
the only way to communicate from ship to ship ig will be with transcivers and recivers (wich are already in the game) or by some kind of chat that hasnt been implemented yet. (the devs want us to use other kinds of comunication like discord or the forums (really dont know where is says that anymore))
there will be no radars other than the radars that the community will build (with rangefinders just to give an example).

Last edited:

Amos.37

Veteran endo
^has already been declined.
look in (i think it was) the QnA
the only way to communicate from ship to ship ig will be with transcivers and recivers (wich are already in the game) or by some kind of chat that hasnt been implemented yet. (the devs want us to use other kinds of comunication like discord or the forums (really dont know where is says that anymore))
there will be no radars other than the radars that the community will build (with rangefinders just to give an example).
Do you remember which Q&A this was addressed in? There's been a few...

Azelous

Veteran endo
POI's would be the essence of most any sort of map, not sure what you mean by "fancy as a 3d map".

I mean that it may not necessarily be a 3D display, like a holographic map or a separate screen, but could be simply a list of coordinates accessible through the universal tool. I would like there to be a 3D map, but could easily see this being something you have to build or access through a terminal on a station or large ship, not something you just have on you all the time. Whereas the list of coordinates and POIs on your universal tool would always be accessible.

You could then also have antennae and such built onto ships and stations to improve the range of POI detection, so a large ship or station could detect other ships and such at much greater distances than a player on their own could. This would mean that listening posts, stations dedicated to tracking and mapping the movement of ships via their transponders, would be a viable tactic. One faction could build small listening posts in or on the edge of a rivals territory, and track the number of ships coming in and out of a territory. Couple this with spy missions to identify the class of ship each transponder belongs to, you could effectively spy on a faction to learn their military strength, useful information prior to an attack.

It would add several elements of gameplay to map making, exploration and espionage, more so than a Fog'o'war mechanic where once you've been somewhere it is automatically mapped.

It could just as easily be a dedicated map display, showing POIs that are within detection range as blips on the map, but I'd like map displays to be a little more special than just 'everyone automatically has one.'

To be completely clear, I am referring to a 3D map as navigational display, not the playable area.
Only having POI's on a list is an incredibly boring and ultimately lesser to those POI's being plotted in three dimensions. Having a list is boring, a 3d map gives more contextual information than a list ever could.

Edit: your [ /quote] messed up my formatting >.>

There are already many solutions for how to create a map, all with Yolol.
There are already many factions that want to publish their maps/navigation tools.
i dont think we really need a map in the UI since a part of the games design is that the UI will be very minimalistic and the community should solve such problems. of course that creates some problems but i like the idea of having a community based game (think about Worlds Adrift)
Can't say I've encountered the same info as you. So long as there is a map, I will be content.