Large ships

riley

Learned-to-sprint endo
Just wondering if there is any reason that anyone can think of, to build overly large ships. I am also wondering whether in the future there could be support for faction bases being able to be based in moving structures rather than be unmovable.

Vexus

Master endo
Sure: how about a large ship that consumes asteroids, and has production facilities and factories set up to mass-produce ships. It goes around swallowing asteroids and pumping out ships.

Since moving costs fuel, and sitting stationary does not, there's really no reason to have mobile structures considering the amount of mass you'd need to move - and thus need an extremely high amount of fuel to move. In other words, it would cost less to simply rebuild wherever you want to go. Imagine uprooting an entire city, and moving it to another location. It doesn't make much sense. Instead, build a new city.

riley

Learned-to-sprint endo
Sure: how about a large ship that consumes asteroids, and has production facilities and factories set up to mass-produce ships. It goes around swallowing asteroids and pumping out ships.

Since moving costs fuel, and sitting stationary does not, there's really no reason to have mobile structures considering the amount of mass you'd need to move - and thus need an extremely high amount of fuel to move. In other words, it would cost less to simply rebuild wherever you want to go. Imagine uprooting an entire city, and moving it to another location. It doesn't make much sense. Instead, build a new city.
What about keeping the location hidden or having the ability to aftack other stations. Effort could be put into making it smaller. I am just worried some features of stations won't be available for large moving structures.

PopeUrban

Veteran endo
What about keeping the location hidden or having the ability to aftack other stations. Effort could be put into making it smaller. I am just worried some features of stations won't be available for large moving structures.
Some features of stations shouldn't be avaliable for moving structures. The fact that structures are stationary is what gives the world political and geographical context. If I could install a market hub on my ship, why wouldn't everybody do that? if I could install a docking bay on my spaceship, why wouldn't everybody do that? In the world you propose everything is in a constant state of chaos that doesn't really mirror the space fantasy a game called StarBase seems to be trying to construct.

If I can only access these things at persistant stations, this gives me a reason to visit those stations and interact with others, fight for control of those stations, or build new stations in stead of flying the same theoretical megaship around for eternity.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Some features of stations shouldn't be avaliable for moving structures. The fact that structures are stationary is what gives the world political and geographical context. If I could install a market hub on my ship, why wouldn't everybody do that? if I could install a docking bay on my spaceship, why wouldn't everybody do that? In the world you propose everything is in a constant state of chaos that doesn't really mirror the space fantasy a game called StarBase seems to be trying to construct.

If I can only access these things at persistant stations, this gives me a reason to visit those stations and interact with others, fight for control of those stations, or build new stations in stead of flying the same theoretical megaship around for eternity.
You can install shop on the ship, and can build hangars for smaller ships.
But because storage in SB is physical, and flying heavy things costs a lot of fuel, it's extremely inefficient.
The balance is absolutely natural, and doesn't need much hadr-coded limitations.

There is, hover one that gonna stay. Only stations will have access to dynamic safe-zones (magic protection from griefing and night riding)

riley

Learned-to-sprint endo
You can install shop on the ship, and can build hangars for smaller ships.
But because storage in SB is physical, and flying heavy things costs a lot of fuel, it's extremely inefficient.
The balance is absolutely natural, and doesn't need much hadr-coded limitations.

There is, hover one that gonna stay. Only stations will have access to dynamic safe-zones (magic protection from griefing and night riding)
I love the idea of inefficiencies rather than hard coded limitations, but without a safe zone it may not be worth it at all haha.