3rd person camera

If FB can't give the mouse control,third person camera plus keyboard will be best plan for flight
I think it's highly possible they will add mouse binding to ship controllers. If you read the wiki FAQ page, under the "What is the game’s control scheme like?" question you can see what devs said about controllers with analog input (i.e. joysticks and gamepads):
"ArtturiFB (6/1/19): Definitely want to have [controller support] in, yeah. As I said, there are some UI and binding logic stuff that needs to be worked out for a nice analog axis binding experience."
Once they finished the work with analog axis binding, I don't see any reason for not adding mouse control.

quantin

Well-known endo
I think it's highly possible they will add mouse binding to ship controllers. If you read the wiki FAQ page, under the "What is the game’s control scheme like?" question you can see what devs said about controllers with analog input (i.e. joysticks and gamepads):
"ArtturiFB (6/1/19): Definitely want to have [controller support] in, yeah. As I said, there are some UI and binding logic stuff that needs to be worked out for a nice analog axis binding experience."
Once they finished the work with analog axis binding, I don't see any reason for not adding mouse control.
Great,thanks for your help.

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
If any sort of third person camera is present, borg cubes will quickly take over the meta. If anyone doesn't know, a borg cube is a popular ship design that has the pilot boxed in the middle of it, armored in tons of layers of armor. The outside of the ship is covered in lots of guns, and this cube flies around and shoots at anything it sees, and the pilot is nearly impossible to kill.

FranklinZ

Well-known endo
If any sort of third person camera is present, borg cubes will quickly take over the meta. If anyone doesn't know, a borg cube is a popular ship design that has the pilot boxed in the middle of it, armored in tons of layers of armor. The outside of the ship is covered in lots of guns, and this cube flies around and shoots at anything it sees, and the pilot is nearly impossible to kill.
Starbase reactors, fuel tanks and magazines explode. The ships won't be taking many hits.
On the other hand, it would not be fair if even the biggest and most armored ships to be one-shot by anyone with a lucky cockpit hit.

1588579480204.png
https://wiki.starbasegame.com/index.php/Very_Very_Frequently_Asked_Questions

You can rest assured

Cavilier210

Master endo
Could do something similar to Atlas where you have to be able to see be seen from your position in order to use 3rd person?

Sounds kinda complicated, but I'm ok with trying out 1st person only for ship ops.

Get really tired of this nonsense. People are gonna min-max anyway for PvP. Its a PvP game. Hell, the pilot doesn't even have to see in order to fly the ships in SB. Whats to stop people from making cubes as things are right now? Nothing. You will see them. Why? They're easy to design, build, and operate. And all of those people are coming from games like DU and SE thinking they'll just spam armor and thrusters and guns to be the master race.

I just don't see them being the master race here however. This games min max needs are very different, and you can't just spam things like you can in those other games and make something that wins through sheer force.

Last edited:

Venombrew

Master endo
because the game is in 1st person like pretty much most shooter games, and SB being just that as well as a crafting game, i doubt that will cause people from being discourage to buy the game. most fps are in first person, but 3rd wouldn't be a bad addition for quality life aspects.

Cavilier210

Master endo
because the game is in 1st person like pretty much most shooter games, and SB being just that as well as a crafting game, i doubt that will cause people from being discourage to buy the game. most fps are in first person, but 3rd wouldn't be a bad addition for quality life aspects.

The game is 3rd person in every other aspect currently. The only realm its limited to 1st is ship functions.

Venombrew

Master endo
sorry typo on my part, supost to say "because the game ISN'T in 1st person like pretty much most shooter games" was late last night. i prefer shooting games to be most of the time in 1st person. while a lot of people really do like the 3rd person camera while playing a shooting game.

1st person on ships could be a problem with a couple people boarding your ship, a lot of blind spots on a 1st person camera. least with 3rd you could have a little more viewing of your surronding to see the guy sneaking up behind you a bit.(depends on size of ship too) but you have to deal with it in a lot of other games so this really shouldn't be a cause of alarm or even shock.

Last edited:

Venombrew

Master endo
I just don't see them being the master race here however. This games min max needs are very different, and you can't just spam things like you can in those other games and make something that wins through sheer force.
hes is very right on this, people are coming into this game from other games assuming its going to be the same and it is not. just like people are scared of bot farmers already and i dont know why.

Cavilier210

Master endo
sorry typo on my part, supost to say "because the game ISN'T in 1st person like pretty much most shooter games" was late last night. i prefer shooting games to be most of the time in 1st person. while a lot of people really do like the 3rd person camera while playing a shooting game.

1st person on ships could be a problem with a couple people boarding your ship, a lot of blind spots on a 1st person camera. least with 3rd you could have a little more viewing of your surronding to see the guy sneaking up behind you a bit.(depends on size of ship too) but you have to deal with it in a lot of other games so this really shouldn't be a cause of alarm or even shock.
I'm one of those 3rd person shooter people, because 1st person causes me motion sickness, or something like it. Just too much movement with not enough grounding. Best way I've found to describe it.

I'm willing to try 1st person only space piloting. But infantry combat? I don't think I could participate in 1st only.

Venombrew

Master endo
theres a lot of people get motion sickness from 1st person. i can get dizzy from time to time playing Sea of Thieves because your always in 1st person.

ya if your on a ship and stuck in only 1st person its gonna be hard for you if multiple people board you, even 2-3. that was something i liked about Worlds Adrift, while steering your ship you were in first person, soon as your off the wheel your back in 3rd person with better range of vision around you during combat on your vessel.

FranklinZ

Well-known endo
theres a lot of people get motion sickness from 1st person. i can get dizzy from time to time playing Sea of Thieves because your always in 1st person.

ya if your on a ship and stuck in only 1st person its gonna be hard for you if multiple people board you, even 2-3. that was something i liked about Worlds Adrift, while steering your ship you were in first person, soon as your off the wheel your back in 3rd person with better range of vision around you during combat on your vessel.
At least SB has third person in endo mode, so I can still play without spilling up.

Grout

Endokid
Im glad there is no third person mode in ships, it makes the design of the ship actually matter instead of just seeing a ship pull up to you without even having to look hard