A navigation system is needed.

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
As you could see in Marksman's most recent CA log, me and Jasper (not sure if he's on the forums...) recently found a wreck of Jasper's old ship with only two screenshots from the wreck. As much fun as it was, spending 2 hours for a single shipwreck is a bit of a pain in your endo butt. I think that a system that allows us to at the very least view our location on a universal 3-dimensional grid is needed, in some shape or form.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Atreties

Veteran endo
As you could see in Marksman's most recent CA log, me and Jasper (not sure if he's on the forums...) recently found a wreck of Jasper's old ship with only two screenshots from the wreck. As much fun as it was, spending 2 hours for a single shipwreck is a bit of a pain in your endo butt. I think that a system that allows us to at the very least view our location on a universal 3-dimensional grid is needed, in some shape or form.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
Excellent idea. I was wondering how to implement a nagivation system quickly and easily, and that seems a great solution that can be implemented quickly.

Inability to find friends or even group members, or find where you crashed your ship, or re-find that huge xhalium asteroid cluster, are all issues that really need some solution, and are going to become more and more frustrsting and crippling to potential gameplay.

And it's a mechanic that's easily scalable. All that's needed at first is simply a way to see your current location. During CA, people can make a notepad and share that out of game and it's not a huge deal. Later on during EA, FB can implement a system to visually mark points on an endo's HUD, a way to share points with a group or company, etc.

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
I also think some sort of grid or navigation or map system (even if it's done externally via API) is valuable as well once territory becomes a thing and factions want to be able to "own" parts of space. Knowing where to find trade stations and the like will be necessary for long-term travel and growth. Being able to pull open something like Homeworld's sensor view (with just major landmarks, not full radar) or EVE's sov maps and see "Trade Outpost, owned by [FACTION]" would give people a reason to want to claim territory and really motivate conflicts, wars, and the game's economy. Right now it's hard to imagine finding and traveling to a location that isn't already rendered, or even knowing it exists.

Last edited:

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
I also had an idea for a radar module for ships. It could include a slot for a data cartridge (or whatever the enormous green floppy disks off the wiki were called), so that we could record and track markers using it. If you found a lot of Xhalium somewhere, you can make a marker using this module, record it onto a disk and sell that information to someone who has the time to go mine that resource. Maybe this would be the only way to make markers, or simply a way to record locational data, I didn't think about it too deep :p

At the moment I would like to see what else will be added as it is before trying to finagle maps. I personally like the idea of being able to make our own maps and coordinate systems.

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
Making your own maps is fun and all, but finding a wrecked ship using two screenshots is a big waste of time compared to what it could've been. I don't disagree with your suggestion, I'm just saying that a coordinate system of at least a very basic manner needs to be in place.

I mean... you only knew of it because of screenshots. The idea is you find them via search or happenstance.

Vexus

Master endo
I think this kind of thing could be solved with the Radio Transmitter and player ingenuity. I feel the addition of a /location style command (system or otherwise) which gives players their X Y Z grid location would detract from the feel of the game, taking away a large element of exploration. Since you can design a beacon, drop those beacons like breadcrumbs along your path, and find your way back using those breadcrumbs and a Radio Transmitter scanning for objects, I'd prefer to see this kind of thing fleshed out in the player market rather than killing literally any need, desire and thus possibility of such a system being invented by players with the addition of a /location for players to utilize otherwise.

I did overhear players talking about making a factory which pumps out GPS-style drones which go to a location and sit as a beacon, expanding into a grid automatically. I'm not sure how viable this is with peer-to-peer, but it won't even been tried if such a location shortcut is added.

I think of a player crashing their ship, typing /loc, getting their XYZ coordinate, respawning, getting another ship, and arriving at their wreck 30m later with no issue. This sounds like every other game out there. Instead, making it matter when you wreck your ship - making you learn to carry all the tools and resources to repair your ship and backup parts and so on; I feel this is more worthwhile than making ships disposable if you can just /loc your way back to it should anything happen.

With that said, I don't see any real issue with this kind of location system inside the safe zones, since it can make sense thematically.

Why not drop beacons and carve out a chunk of space for your own mining operation, instead of going at it randomly into the void? Location would eliminate such gameplay, which I find very interesting to consider the possibilities of.

I really enjoy the idea of players learning to triangulate their position from nearby stations, and using YOLOL and math to solve the equation of how to get back to that position and so on. I see a vast amount of gameplay cut out with the addition of a hard XYZ grid location system, and yet I'm sure everyone would agree it is much more approachable by a larger audience. It is then up to us the players to develop easy-to-use systems that the mass of players will use to achieve the same effect, if the goal is to make the game world still vast and interesting, instead of just points along a line. The player experience will have the same net-effect of a grid location (or a relative position location system) and then, if some station gets destroyed, now things are dynamic and interesting as people have to work through finding a new point of reference.

Much like everything else: is the ease of use more valuable than the amount of gameplay eliminated by the implementation of such a system?

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
I see your point, and I agree; however ships are quite tricky to control and are very expensive compared to what you earn at the beginning of your adventures, so I think that at the very least inside of safe zones, a coordinate system should be in place; Outside of safe zones I'll be fine if there's nothing to navigate with.

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
Beacons and transmitters work for short distances (and create opportunities for piracy and PvP), however I still feel pretty strongly that some sort of territory landscape map is needed for large scale faction PvP on a political level. There isn't much of a reason to hold territory right now in the first place, but at the very least a broad-strokes map with regions reading "claimed by [THEM]" will fuel conflict via bragging rights. You don't get that kind of at-a-glance information from beacons and transmitters on LCD panels.

Atreties

Veteran endo
I think this kind of thing could be solved with the Radio Transmitter and player ingenuity. I feel the addition of a /location style command (system or otherwise) which gives players their X Y Z grid location would detract from the feel of the game, taking away a large element of exploration. Since you can design a beacon, drop those beacons like breadcrumbs along your path, and find your way back using those breadcrumbs and a Radio Transmitter scanning for objects, I'd prefer to see this kind of thing fleshed out in the player market rather than killing literally any need, desire and thus possibility of such a system being invented by players with the addition of a /location for players to utilize otherwise.

I did overhear players talking about making a factory which pumps out GPS-style drones which go to a location and sit as a beacon, expanding into a grid automatically. I'm not sure how viable this is with peer-to-peer, but it won't even been tried if such a location shortcut is added.

I think of a player crashing their ship, typing /loc, getting their XYZ coordinate, respawning, getting another ship, and arriving at their wreck 30m later with no issue. This sounds like every other game out there. Instead, making it matter when you wreck your ship - making you learn to carry all the tools and resources to repair your ship and backup parts and so on; I feel this is more worthwhile than making ships disposable if you can just /loc your way back to it should anything happen.

With that said, I don't see any real issue with this kind of location system inside the safe zones, since it can make sense thematically.

Why not drop beacons and carve out a chunk of space for your own mining operation, instead of going at it randomly into the void? Location would eliminate such gameplay, which I find very interesting to consider the possibilities of.

I really enjoy the idea of players learning to triangulate their position from nearby stations, and using YOLOL and math to solve the equation of how to get back to that position and so on. I see a vast amount of gameplay cut out with the addition of a hard XYZ grid location system, and yet I'm sure everyone would agree it is much more approachable by a larger audience. It is then up to us the players to develop easy-to-use systems that the mass of players will use to achieve the same effect, if the goal is to make the game world still vast and interesting, instead of just points along a line. The player experience will have the same net-effect of a grid location (or a relative position location system) and then, if some station gets destroyed, now things are dynamic and interesting as people have to work through finding a new point of reference.

Much like everything else: is the ease of use more valuable than the amount of gameplay eliminated by the implementation of such a system?
This is a critical game issue, and will remain so until resolved in some way. It's such a fundemental issue that it causes the following problems:
  • Friends cannot find each other
  • Exploration becomes useless, because if it's virtually impossible to ever re-find your position
  • Any important location becomes useless to you and everyone else.
    • If you see a shipwreck, you cannot come back and salvage it.
    • If you crash into an asteroid and run out of repair beams, you cannot load up more and come back to fix it up.
    • If you find an asteroid that you cannot fully mine out, it is now lost forever once you leave it.
In the absence of stations, it is functionally impossible to know where you are. Out-of-game screenshot triangulation is the least immersive thing i can imagine, takes hours, and is still not guaranteed to succeed due to the completely mind-bending scale of the game. Seriously, a human mind has real trouble understanding the distances and scale of a 3D space this vast. Some way to simply tell where you are is critical.

So, the question becomes: what's the best, most engaging and interesting way to solve this problem?

Your solution is to implement an entire system of ingame beacons (the gps system as described cannot function with current game features) and rely on the currently existing radar and yolol systems interacting with that beacon system in order to navigate. Currently, the only premade ship capable of full-scanning an area and displaying multiple radar points (currently only stations) is the Hedron. In order to accomplish this, it requires 30 yolol racks, and an entire wall of panels and buttons that almost requires an entire owners manual to read and understand:

All of this extremely complex, expensive, and space-intensive implementation STILL only is able to show a total of 5 locations. Just 5. For all of that complexity and effort.

And, even with ALL of this and more on every single ship in the game, you STILL would not be able to actually navigate in any reasonable way using these tools.

---

Alternatively, the devs can implement an xyz coordinate system (which already exists in the background of the game code), and let us interact with it either via a chat command, or via the universal tool. This implementation does not "remove gameplay possibilities" as described, It does the opposite. The system you described is so convoluted and near-impossible to implement and interact with using the existing tools in the game, that it might as well not exist.

The situation you described of someone crashing their ship and using XYZ to re-find and repair it IS gameplay, that currently DOES NOT exist, and WOULD NOT exist with your system, not for months, and possibly not ever for 95% of players. The systems in this game are already very, very complex and intricate. If you think implementing a system that requires dozens of yolol banks, and walls of location data screens is a viable and gameplay-creating way to simply know where you and your friends are, you're living in a fantasy world.

Last edited:

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
Great write up! Very good point, didn't even think about the fact that finding your friends will be a huge nightmare.
I think I'm going to take the side of having a universal XYZ coordinate system across the universe. As much as navigating might be easier now, I think that not being able to find anything you discover ever again would be an enormous headache. Just imagine if you find a whole lot of good ore in a place, but you're in the wrong ship that can't place any beacons for you to navigate like breadcrumbs. Welp, that ore is practically gone. Take some screenshots and pray to Pip.

CalenLoki

Master endo
I'm for mid-way solution.
Yes, xyz coordinates. But accessible only in the form of encoded memory chip.

Once the chip is inserted in navigation module, it shows yolol distance and angular offset to the target location. So same fields as torpedo laser sensor.

Novigation module can also write on nav chips. It saves current position + set distance forward.
It can also duplicate nav chips.

Range would be unlimited, unlike transmitters.

Why?
Because I love physical storage: such chips could be sold or stolen.
They'd keep immersion of relative positions, rather than universal coordinates.
They are easy to use: 1 device + 4 bar displays per shio, 1 nav chip per location.
They require some effort to share location. You need to at least meet.
Rather easy to implement.

In case of crashing your ship it would be harder than simple coordinates, but not impossible. You couldn't just send your coords to rescue team. But if you manage to somehow bring it to station (rescue pod on your ship, hitching a ride, bike made of your ship parts) you'd have a way to find it later.

Last edited:

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
I'd love to limit markers and navigation of them to a ship module. Buying a chip with information of how to get to an asteroid deposit sounds so cool and I absolutely love the idea. Maybe we could even split recording/reading these chips into two separate devices.

CalenLoki

Master endo
What would be the purpose of splitting these? All the ships will mount both of them anyway.

The value of this system would be the stored information, rather than the price itself.

With single read/write module you need just one more yolol field:

Read (bool)
Write (bool)
Chip name (string)
Distance (int) [m]
AzimuthAngleOffset (int -180 to 180) [degree]
ElevationAngleOffset (int -180 to 180) [degree]

Chips would be stored in standard yolol racks connected by the data network.

Or if we're going for more manual interactions, it could have single chip slots, and you need to swap them manually.

Vexus

Master endo
"plug this part in your ship and magic happens."
@Atreties this above quote is more to my point. Instead of an XYZ system, the game needs more features. Better screens to display information. Less YOLOL chips to do the same work. Maybe a "navigation computer" that does these things as a single device, that then gives precise triangulation to stations as long as the ship has an attached Radio Transmitter on it. Since you only really need 3 fixed objects - stations - to establish your own personal XYZ coordinate system (to some level precision), it's not outside the realm of possibility to create these tools and have them available for players to utilize in-game, rather than a chat command "/location" which prints out the background magic of the game with no contextual layer. It would be like firing a rail gun, seeing no projectile, and damage occurs at the target instantly. The time context of projectile travel and the visuals associated with it are part of the goodness of gaming.

I imagine such a navigation computer setting the closest station to you as the 'home' station (centering of 0,0,0 on your XYZ grid) in relation to the three nearest stations. This means you and friends would need to 'bind' to the same station in order to share the same grid locations. Perhaps this information can be transmitted by Radio Transmitter as well; sharing your home location and grid would then be a thing. And sometimes, far away from any station, you have no reference point and still have the mystery of being lost in space with no idea where to go unless you drop beacons and scan for their position and so on.

A "/location" command would add some gameplay but eliminate, forever, the gameplay of getting lost in space, for example. The goal in my opinion is to find balance, where the complexity of finding others is less of an issue, but the solution preserves the most gameplay possible. Not that "/location" would not add some minor gameplay - of course it would - but that it would kill off any other gameplay option that could have been designed by players to achieve the same result. As such, I seek out an option which preserves the most gameplay, and kills off the least amount of gameplay. When the devs hard-code something, that's it. There's no real going back. It has to accommodate as much gameplay as possible I feel to work. One 'cheap' system can ruin a game as complex as Starbase. One thing taken for granted can wreck the entire feel of the game. I do not feel a "/location" command is worth the cost.

Out-of-game screenshot triangulation is the least immersive thing i can imagine
But not the least immersive thing someone else can imagine, and a lot of people, exploring past the range of stations and so on, would be fine utilizing these methods to keep track of their progress in exploration, and before doing so, would likely load up 100's of beacons to drop along the way to mark their progress in exploring. Just because something is not immersive to one person, does not mean it is not immersive to other people. As such, preserving the most gameplay should be the priority, not catering to what is simply easy or practical. If that were the case, the ship designing would not be so complicated, and we'd have 10 ships to choose from and go fight each other - the game would be boring. The preservation of gameplay by the devs, giving us practically an unlimited ship count to pull from eventually, preserves the most gameplay, and the free market works out the 'best' ships and designs while still allowing someone to run something sub-optimal if they so wish. The same can be done/said about navigation and every game system. It must be handled to preserve the most gameplay and to not take shortcuts. With this in mind, I would simply ask: What systems would work to simulate the XYZ coordinate system, which still gives some immersion, and would make it easier to use? Larger display panels for example would be nice, with more custom wording and so on being able to be written to them. What other system besides an XYZ navigation based on stations? Maybe a planet-station-station combination would work? The sun is probably too volatile and subject to change by the devs (day/night cycle) to use it as a marker. Maybe the moons, if they are static? Lots of interesting possibilities. So what in-game methods could be easily developed to achieve the same result? That's what we're good at figuring out.

Last edited:

dusty

I didn't care for coordinates before, but having had difficulties meeting up with people beyond the safezone it does seem like something might be needed. However, I still don't want precise coordinates. I'd much rather see a map function on the u-tool, with a 3D representation of the known game universe like this:

Map Style.png

Apologies for the shoddy mockup, and thanks for the quick screengrab Okim

With this, users could plot out points of interest (and share them with friends) with a limited resolution - say, 50km cubes, or however small or large is ideal. Stations would not be automatically discovered when they are built, and would rely on player transmission and natural discovery to add them to the map, whether it be automatic or otherwise. Users within the same group/on each other's friends list/company/etcetera with their personal transponders active would be marked with the same resolution. Creating waypoints could be done through the U-Tool (ie typing the coordinates out) or created with a "place at feet" function - but again, with the same relatively imprecise resolution. The 'spawn' button would tie in with the game's insurance transfer feature, and the 'ships' and 'bank' buttons (if applicable) would only list the ships or items stored at that station, and not allow inventory transfer, etcetera.

Naturally, the map could be zoomed in or out, panned around, etcetera, especially to encompass the moons. I think this map style would encourage gameplay while not being too cheaty like Minecraft coordinates. Companies would be able to control map permissions, and their waypoints would be a closely guarded secret - after all, you don't want to share the locations of your ships, stations, and known resource nodes with just anybody.

While in-game solutions like the Yonder network and GPS buoys are really neat, I think a map is one tool that MMO players kind of take for granted, and that shouldn't be looked down upon. Right now, I have no reason to believe that I should go to the other side of Eos.. but what if I could purchase a set of waypoints from a mapmaker's company, and discover that there are nodes of valuable resources near XYZ station? Or that there's a ship combat arena nearby? I'd feel more inclined to explore without needing to browse Discord servers to find interesting locations.

We actually would just need a way to check our own position on a yxz axis....

Like : EOS is 0:0:0
Starter is somewhere 12830:32234:2242321
And if you know a few other points of interest ... you could triangulate your own position anywhere. Without the need of an extrem yolo setup.

We just need an GPS Tracker Device, that's hard to break.... that outputs our current yxz axis... the radars can still be usefull. For ship to ship stuff. But we REALLLY need some global navigation that is easy to acess.

How will i be able to help someone i know, whos stuck in space, if i can't find his ship. He might have a damaged transmitter and receiver ... and then hes lost forever.

Another game i play, has that yxz axis type. And its soooo smooth ... to navigate stuff.
That's atm the only complaint i could muster for starbase.

Cavilier210

Master endo
So, my group has been using a nav system for about a week that was developed by someone else. It works well for these purposes.