Actual armor plates.

Womble

Veteran endo
Well, in this game you can destroy pretty much anything using a pickaxe. Everything is stupidly fragile in this game.
Sorry, I know that, and agree. I mean, you can probably punch your way through the skin of a plane, eventually, IRL, but that's not 120mm thick... :)

Jakaal

Active endo
I haven't played for long, only since the Steam release and even then, not for all that long because everything in this game is just to damn fragile. Someone talked about modern armor in this thread, but that isn't even needed. The entire reason tanks became a thing at ALL was because even a few cm of armor made the vehicle completely immune to small arms fire. Not resistant, not take less damage, completely immune. The fact of the matter is this game's armor math is just BAD. Total size of the armor plates should have absolutely nothing to do with durability. Thickness should be all that matters, not size.
I get WHY they have made things this way, due to the limitations of voxel construction, they've just squewed the values way way WAY to low.
I understand that is due to higher end armors being extremely good, but they need to find another solution than making everything below the top tier complete garbage to combat that.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Nice suggestion, but:

1. Certain plates are already invulnerable to some weapons. They have "minimal armour value", which multiplied by volume gives the minimal damage threshold. So the mechanic is already in game, just the numbers need balancing.
Not sure if old damage formulas still apply, but that would give the pistol ~18 projectile energy. So oninum plate of volume above 72Kv (72x96 plate) should be totally invulnerable to pistol rounds.
EDIT: just tested in practice, with assault rifle: 144x144 oninum requires 1 assault rifle mag to start loosing voxels. 2 mags for 192x192, 432x432 have eaten ~40 mags before I got bored - totally invulnerable to AR.

2. Maximum single plate size is limited by how much endo can grab. Which is around 40 tons. So your suggested plates shouldn't exceed volume of ~1.5 stack, otherwise it would be unpickable if made of oninum. It's already a problem with few existing plates, let's not make it worse.

3. IMO no special magic rules should be made for those plates. That would only invalidate normal plates. I'd rather have the entire damage system improved to be more voxel-based and less part-hp based, so any size of plate is viable.

So IMO damage should be first reduced by [material*effective thickness*% of remaining voxels] to filter out weapons too weak to even scratch it.

Then should be applied to part HP pool [material*part volume] to prevent instant voxel damage from spray weapons that would affect performance. It shouldn't be too noticeable while using proper weapons.

Then should slowly chew through voxels, with tougher materials requiring more projectile energy per removed voxel. That should be the main stopping point.

Last edited:

Gknees

Well-known endo
Well, in this game you can destroy pretty much anything using a pickaxe. Everything is stupidly fragile in this game.
yeah you know those space buttons which weight like 10 kg per one and endos that weight like a tank those are fragile as hell

Foraven

Veteran endo
yeah you know those space buttons which weight like 10 kg per one and endos that weight like a tank those are fragile as hell
Difficult to make a battleship when a single endo can just bore hole through it using a pickaxe. That won't make very interesting boarding action when invader can just bash their way through any part of the ship at will. Yeah, endos are heavy, but so is everything else...

Foraven

Veteran endo
They did reduce how effective using the pickaxe is in damaging armor.
If they did, it's not very apparent when I test this out in the designer. I don't see much point in using grinders or laser cutters when the good old pickaxe can do the job just fine.

If they did, it's not very apparent when I test this out in the designer. I don't see much point in using grinders or laser cutters when the good old pickaxe can do the job just fine.

Do you actually change your ships materials to an actual armor, like charodium?

Jakaal

Active endo
That really should have absolutely no bearing on the issue but they have made the... decision it does in this game.

So... it does have bearing for now. So we can help him design stronger things by advising him on material usage. Plus, the outer hull i would say is sacrificial. I would be more worried about the internal armor layout, given the weight of armor.

Foraven

Veteran endo
Were you using tiny plates?
I'm close to 400 hours in this game, more than half that was spent in the designer trying to figure how to make a good ship... So yeah, I know the difference between plate size. I'm well aware the largest plates are much tougher, I'm complaining about the normal sized ones offering next to no protection from pickaxes (ie they break them on one hit), let alone the beams from the frame. Pickaxes are stupidly good at destroying ships, even if said ship is made of charodium.

I'm close to 400 hours in this game, more than half that was spent in the designer trying to figure how to make a good ship... So yeah, I know the difference between plate size. I'm well aware the largest plates are much tougher, I'm complaining about the normal sized ones offering next to no protection from pickaxes (ie they break them on one hit), let alone the beams from the frame. Pickaxes are stupidly good at destroying ships, even if said ship is made of charodium.
Has anyone tried bolting pickaxes to the nose os the ship to make a space-ram?