Asteroids, stations and lags

pavvvel

Veteran endo
There is a very heavy load on the processor right now, especially near origin.
It lags a lot during mining when the ore collector begins to attract the next batch of ore fragments. If there are two lasers and one collector on the ship, then there are no problems, but this is slow mining. If there are a lot of lasers and collectors, then the fps can drop to almost one.
There are a lot of lags when the t10 asteroid splits. It didn't split before, it was added to the game recently.
There are a lot of large asteroids now, when you fly past them, the computer starts loading them and the FPS drops, the ship's flight speed drops, the game twitches.

I suggest adding to the game the ability to disable asteroids loading, if you are not going to mine now. That is, they will be visible as before, but at close range asteroids will not load completely.

Add the ability to change the distance at which the asteroids starts loading. Now there are situations when the t10 asteroid disappears when loading and appears, causes lags and there is a chance to crash into it.

Similarly, for stations, you need the ability to change the distance at which the game client begins to "see" and load the computer with stations. This will significantly improve stability and reduce the load on the computer.

Colonkin

Active endo
The same problem. Moreover, if you still use the transport of asteroids and these asteroids are the same material, then there are no problems. But as soon as one of the asteroids is ice and the other is ajatite, the light show begins. FPS drops a lot and some textures start flickering. It seems to me that the problem is still with optimization.

Last edited:

pavvvel

Veteran endo
Yes, this is an optimization problem. But not only that. For example, the explosion of a video card when looking at the warp gate + origin is a problem not only of optimization, but also of the simplest options, such as the range of loading objects. In any case, even if you imagine that optimization is normal, I still find the ideas I have proposed useful. If the player is not even going to mine and is flying on a warship, why would he load the processor with asteroids loading. The problem worsened after the addition of a large number of large asteroids.

Colonkin

Active endo
The loading range of lod objects is needed. But I'm concerned about the download speed. With a high density of asteroids, there is a chance of getting hit in the face by an underloaded asteroid. And if, for example, we reduce the range of drawing asteroids, then at a speed of 150 m / s you can simply not see new objects.
Rather, the field density should be slightly smaller. With the increase in the volume of asteroids, this should not be a problem (it's just a way to quickly somehow improve the situation).

pavvvel

Veteran endo
The loading range of lod objects is needed. But I'm concerned about the download speed. With a high density of asteroids, there is a chance of getting hit in the face by an underloaded asteroid. And if, for example, we reduce the range of drawing asteroids, then at a speed of 150 m / s you can simply not see new objects.
Rather, the field density should be slightly smaller. With the increase in the volume of asteroids, this should not be a problem (it's just a way to quickly somehow improve the situation).
I meant that there are two stages of drawing an asteroid: when we see it from afar, but it is only a low-quality texture, and the second is when the asteroid loads the LOD and its structure.
I suggest that for those who do not want to mine there should be a switch, as for lifeline: "see/not see asteroid's LOD". Maybe I'm making mistakes in terms.

This means that by disabling LOD downloads, we will see asteroids at the same maximum distance, but when we approach them, asteroids will not load LOD

Colonkin

Active endo
I meant that there are two stages of drawing an asteroid: when we see it from afar, but it is only a low-quality texture, and the second is when the asteroid loads the LOD and its structure.
I suggest that for those who do not want to mine there should be a switch, as for lifeline: "see/not see asteroid's LOD". Maybe I'm making mistakes in terms.

This means that by disabling LOD downloads, we will see asteroids at the same maximum distance, but when we approach them, asteroids will not load LOD
I also thought about it. But if there is just a texture without an object (even LOD), then there will be real problems with the avoidance system. But the switch, at least for the duration of mining or slow flight, looks sensible.

Ps. From the fact that I'm currently studying UE4, it seems to me that the problem in this case is not in models and polygons. The problem is in optimizing shaders and particles (smoke, fog, dots, etc.). At least very often, lags begin when these objects (effects) are drawn. Naturally, I could be wrong. I'm not familiar with this engine.