Awakening - a Starbase fanfic

AuraFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
I quickly wrote this during a lunch break about my current player character in Starbase Alpha. There's a lot of idle time for thinking while flying between the station and the asteroid field and sometimes the thoughts turn into stories. I figured it would be fun to have a little background story for my character. :unsure: Btw: this is just fanfic and not official lore of any kind, so take it for a grain of salt.

Summary: RK-13 is a recently activated endo who knows nothing of the universe beyond their small, decrepit home station on the other side of the asteroid field. Their first journey towards Eos and Proia has them questioning their future and existence.

Read on Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xEJxi2zQNU4MyOeP_7LwYvyTmsua1tuW/view?usp=sharing

dusty

Oh, I really enjoyed that! I thought the juxtaposition of the sun dipping behind the moon and the stars becoming visible as RK-13 begins to explore their awareness and their place in the universe was a really nice touch: one massive, obscuring light fracturing into a billion smaller ones, as Rookie breaks from its programming and its own 'path' diverges into so many possibilities. I know the community is divided on 'origin stories', so to speak, but I've always thought it was more interesting to consider endoskeletons as their own beings with vivid lives as opposed to disposable robots, and this is exactly that. I hope you'll consider writing more short stories every now and again! C:

AuraFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
Oh, I really enjoyed that! I thought the juxtaposition of the sun dipping behind the moon and the stars becoming visible as RK-13 begins to explore their awareness and their place in the universe was a really nice touch: one massive, obscuring light fracturing into a billion smaller ones, as Rookie breaks from its programming and its own 'path' diverges into so many possibilities. I know the community is divided on 'origin stories', so to speak, but I've always thought it was more interesting to consider endoskeletons as their own beings with vivid lives as opposed to disposable robots, and this is exactly that. I hope you'll consider writing more short stories every now and again! C:
Aw thanks! I'll probably end up writing more eventually, I've got a few ideas in store already :D

Wow, that was great! I really love how immersed it makes you feel, especially with the clear Empire siding that developed by being on their station.

five

Master endo
Can this be canon?? This has to become canon, like pls. I want a whole expanded universe like star wars of this stuff. Glorious writing

TheMarksman

Veteran endo
I quickly wrote this during a lunch break about my current player character in Starbase Alpha. There's a lot of idle time for thinking while flying between the station and the asteroid field and sometimes the thoughts turn into stories. I figured it would be fun to have a little background story for my character. :unsure: Btw: this is just fanfic and not official lore of any kind, so take it for a grain of salt.

Summary: RK-13 is a recently activated endo who knows nothing of the universe beyond their small, decrepit home station on the other side of the asteroid field. Their first journey towards Eos and Proia has them questioning their future and existence.

Read on Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xEJxi2zQNU4MyOeP_7LwYvyTmsua1tuW/view?usp=sharing
Hmm. So if I have to think on it, the trip would've likely started from the Empire outpost, given how the soldiers there hated the Kingdom. It would also indicate that they were currently deep within the asteroid belt and is on their way towards Proia to sell their cargo.

Overall, this was a nice story, Aura.

AuraFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
Thanks guys, glad to hear you enjoyed it! :p

Hmm. So if I have to think on it, the trip would've likely started from the Empire outpost, given how the soldiers there hated the Kingdom. It would also indicate that they were currently deep within the asteroid belt and is on their way towards Proia to sell their cargo.
Yeah, pretty much. My idea was that the story's set somewhere in the future when there are stations on the other side of the asteroid belt. Rookie's home station isn't directly allied with the Empire but they still get soldiers stopping by regularly, so Kingdomites probably avoid it.