Becoming a Space Ace in StarBase

StarStoks

Active endo
StarBase being an MMO with so many different systems working in tandem means the skill ceiling is going to be high in many fields. One of them I’m most interested in is the Space Combat. There’s something intoxicating about watching yourself get sharper fight after fight. Usually I’m able to find a whole lot of material on fundamental tips on fighting games and FPSs but I’m having a hard time finding anything for the ins and outs of dogfights in space.

Down below I’m linking the three videos I did find and while they are from other games, many fundamentals and concepts can transfer over to StarBase. I encourage others to post here or give advice on what they have maybe gathered from their own experience!

How to Dogfight in Space:
Elite Dangerous Combat Tips 101 E1:

Elite Dangerous Combat Tips Episode 2 Advanced Maneuvering:

Planetside2: Captain's log - Dogfighting tips!

Star Citizen - Talon PVP Dogfights

Skip to 3:20 to see fight

Last edited:
A big Factor I see in space combat that you don't see in other games, that Starbase has, is the "Ship Design factor". All of the links above only take into account front facing, non turreted, shielded, or highly durable ships that don't get disabled by one critical hit. In starbase that isn't the case. A player will be able to play or fight in whatever play style they want, not being constricted by preset ship layouts. This is one of the Most intriguing aspects about Starbase. In a Traditional sense dog fighting will be like in any other game, but at the same time not at all. There's nothing stopping a player from making a ship that can fly and shoot Backwards as well as forwards. Outside the box thinking will be the way forward in future. We have yet to test and see the full potential of starbase in this area. I'm really looking forward to trying out this game in the future. I think It has potential to be stupendous.

Dommy

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Most combat I've seen in Starbase actually has some form of obstacles or 'terrain'. Stations, asteroids, or wrecks of ships, these are some objects that can be used to manoeuvre around, if you are in a fight. I have very limited Starbase experience, but I once confused my enemy of where I was by just manoeuvring around a station, and was able to take them down by surprising them.

five

Master endo
I think you should look less into ED and more towards SC for advice in dogfighting, since EDs dogfighting isnt as "action-packed" as SBs space combat imo. Another thing i would recommend to watch tutorials is Planetside 2, since I believe that it comes actually really close to SB combat is to watch

StarStoks

Active endo
A big Factor I see in space combat that you don't see in other games, that Starbase has, is the "Ship Design factor". All of the links above only take into account front facing, non turreted, shielded, or highly durable ships that don't get disabled by one critical hit. In starbase that isn't the case. A player will be able to play or fight in whatever play style they want, not being constricted by preset ship layouts. This is one of the Most intriguing aspects about Starbase. In a Traditional sense dog fighting will be like in any other game, but at the same time not at all. There's nothing stopping a player from making a ship that can fly and shoot Backwards as well as forwards. Outside the box thinking will be the way forward in future. We have yet to test and see the full potential of starbase in this area. I'm really looking forward to trying out this game in the future. I think It has potential to be stupendous.
This really resonates! Ship design factor is going to keep the game ticking many hours after it's full release. Also just the beauty of having to constantly trial and error your way to the top by design has so much potential on being a great hook. It'll be interesting to see what meta is going to crop up around different designs, and to see how people get the most millage out of their oddly specific "only they can pilot" type ships.

I'm not in the alpha but I think from what I understand there is a in game market that sells player made ships? If so it's going to be pretty exciting to see all the content people make on tutorial series on how to get the most out of the ships they are selling. ( I definitely plan on doing this)
I wouldn't be surprised if community even comes up with it's own assessing skill graph for a ships strength and weaknesses.

People are going to need to be cunning both in ship design and combat to stay ahead.

StarStoks

Active endo
Most combat I've seen in Starbase actually has some form of obstacles or 'terrain'. Stations, asteroids, or wrecks of ships, these are some objects that can be used to manoeuvre around, if you are in a fight. I have very limited Starbase experience, but I once confused my enemy of where I was by just manoeuvring around a station, and was able to take them down by surprising them.
Glad to hear this, that's pretty clever! I wasn't sure how common this was in SB but come to think of it with the player made creations, and destructibility, there will more likely be a lot more of this than in Elite Dangerous. In ED, fighting in the asteroid belt or at stations felt way more engaging being able to bounce in and out of cover to break line of sights or make a unexpected push on someone. Once your in open space though most times it just becomes a jousting contest.. ( I think mainly has to do with my skill level though) I hope to put way more hours in on Starbase.

StarStoks

Active endo
I think you should look less into ED and more towards SC for advice in dogfighting, since EDs dogfighting isnt as "action-packed" as SBs space combat imo. Another thing i would recommend to watch tutorials is Planetside 2, since I believe that it comes actually really close to SB combat is to watch
Alright I'll check out StarCitizen! What makes it's combat more fast pace or engaging than Elite's?

Also would have never thought to watch Planet Side 2 for tips. What makes the dogfights in that game similar to Starbase's?

five

Master endo
Alright I'll check out StarCitizen! What makes it's combat more fast pace or engaging than Elite's?

Also would have never thought to watch Planet Side 2 for tips. What makes the dogfights in that game similar to Starbase's?
The ships are in ED larger than in other games, also you kind of have more "realism" in movement in SC due to it being a space sim. Also its faster paced, because the ships can turn faster and move faster. And for Planetside 2: You have a certain way of fighting, u dont dogfight traditionally, u dont fly forward but up and down in circles (look at montages and ull see what i mean). I think both SC and Planetside will help u learn more unorthodox methods to throw of ur enemies aim and to position yourself advantageously

Space combat will be different because ships don't fight until it gets destroyed like in other games, instead you fight until your ship just stops working. So if you build it well it might just outlast an experienced pilots badly built fighter.

In stories and such you often see the concept of an ace custom, where an ace has a vehicle or weapon that is specified for them. In games where you make your own vehicle and fight with them, this often happens as people see what works during their fights and build around it.

StarStoks

Active endo
Space combat will be different because ships don't fight until it gets destroyed like in other games, instead you fight until your ship just stops working. So if you build it well it might just outlast an experienced pilots badly built fighter.
True. Not having a traditional health system is going to mean people will have to be way more tentative in a fight. It might also make for some great feints in the process to throw off an attacker.

StarStoks

Active endo
The ships are in ED larger than in other games, also you kind of have more "realism" in movement in SC due to it being a space sim. Also its faster paced, because the ships can turn faster and move faster. And for Planetside 2: You have a certain way of fighting, u dont dogfight traditionally, u dont fly forward but up and down in circles (look at montages and ull see what i mean). I think both SC and Planetside will help u learn more unorthodox methods to throw of ur enemies aim and to position yourself advantageously

This is great advice. I took the time to watch several Star Citizen dog fights today and I can understand what you mean by the speed of combat. Where as Elite Dangerous turning speed is generally slow because of ship size and also because a lot of people tend to not use fighters cuz of their poor jump ranges; Star Citizens ships are smaller and more agile. Looks like they can almost turn on a dime.

I was whole hearted-ly not expecting Planet Side 2 dogfights to be that serious and "free" in movement. since it doesn't take place in Space. The multiple thrusters allow for some really technical movement and then coupled with the terrain allows people get out of dodge quickly and make some insane retreats and pushes.

I'm actually going to edit my post and link 1 or 2 of the videos I watched today.

Good lookin out Five.