Bounty System?

Would it be possible to have a system, where if someone who has a bounty on them (acquired in some sort of way) gets caught or turned in could get put into jail or some sort of cell where they would stay for a certain period of time depending on what they did?

Mr.Silver

Well-known endo
wouldn't be surprised if they added it later right now with closed alpha they are trying to iron out kinks/test waters and decide priorities on moving forward

Would it be possible to have a system, where if someone who has a bounty on them (acquired in some sort of way) gets caught or turned in could get put into jail or some sort of cell where they would stay for a certain period of time depending on what they did?
Hmm or some type of frontier justice approach where players can be bounty hunters and destroy players who may have committed crimes against robot kind. or the ability to set bounties with a set reward price? one problem I can see would be the player who is being targeted may get a friend to kill them to collect the $$$.

HarrisonB1210

Learned-to-sprint endo
Hmm or some type of frontier justice approach where players can be bounty hunters and destroy players who may have committed crimes against robot kind. or the ability to set bounties with a set reward price? one problem I can see would be the player who is being targeted may get a friend to kill them to collect the $$$.
yes there would always be this type of problem, and a work around to that is that the bounty wouldn't be huge, like in gta V the max bounty is $9000. but I also think it would be a good idea, like if bob was in empires territory and shot at military then empire would set a bounty of say 350K on Bob that would be a good way to implement it, so every faction could have its own bounty list and own bounty prices while other people like bounty hunters could enter and pick up a contract, but this only in the alpha stage but this would be fun to put in. let me know any thoughts of yours or others!

Quinc

Well-known endo
Off hand I am opposed to literally imprisoning players, but it might be a necessary deterrent. Essentially it would be the same as temporarily banning them from the game for the duration of the prison sentence. If you are trapped in jail with nothing to do then you would just log off until it is over. StarCitizen is planning on this, but they also give people a variety of things to do while in jail (StarCitizen has a huge budget, so they can afford to develop gameplay specifically for jail). Generally I don't like it, but if piracy becomes overwhelming it might be necessary to implement stronger deterrents.
The system I would favor would involve an algorithm that measures the amount of damage a player does when attacking a ship or station. When they attack first and attack a non-criminal target they become criminal and are assigned a bounty proportional to the damage they just did. When a non-criminal attacks a criminal with a bounty they are rewarded money proportional to the damage they do. I assume the game will keep track of who owns each ship, stealing a ship would be possible but difficult to do and would trigger the same bounty effect. If the money paid out is reasonable it wouldn't be profitable in the long term to destroy your friend's ship just to collect his bounty. Though similar to insurance fraud you could still convert a ship into cash by blowing it up. I guess if you have a bounty you can't collect insurance money.

Jasperagus

Well-known endo
Wait there was another thread like this and I think and someone mentioned putting a bounty on ships.

I can definitely understand some people wanting a deterrent for piracy. A literal jail system if not worked right, may cause more problems then issues. For Instance: A player gets falsely accused of a crime due to a bug and receives jail time. Would there be something or someone to identify if the player did in fact do the crime, or was it simply a bug. In the sense of false jail time, would he be commended for the lost gametime due to jailing, or simply just put back in the game before he was jailed?

Id totally be down for bounties being a thing. Whether it be on Ships or people it would be another way to make money plus the challenge of hunting someone else down would be kinda fun I think.

five

Master endo
True. Since FrozenByte are only giving us the basics for us to develop the universe I'd say the best way to do this is, is to start a bounty hunter company. People pay you to sabotage factions or kill specific faction members. This could also be implemented into a pirating faction.