Custom Bombs

WolfiAUT

Active endo
Hello fellow terrorbots!

Since we'll have custom missiles, why not add custom bombs too?

Parts to costumize:

Load --> more boom, more radius, more expensive - different materials may have different kinds of damage

Detonation --> detonation via time fuze or remote

Size --> the bigger the size, the more load can go into it - but it's going to be more heavy and can't be carried by a bot anymore

Any more ideas? Let's talk.

Amos.37

Veteran endo
How will the bombs get from the launcher to the target?
Bombs require gravity to work, so could only be used on planets/moons (if gravity is implemented).
Otherwise, they need to be launched toward the target, at which point, it is just a missile.

If we're talking static bombs, you can already make custom bombs using missile components, propellant tanks, ammo magazines and reactors.
There was some talk of breaching charges, but I don't know if devs have confirmed that or if it was just people throwing ideas around.

How will the bombs get from the launcher to the target?
Bombs require gravity to work, so could only be used on planets/moons (if gravity is implemented).
Otherwise, they need to be launched toward the target, at which point, it is just a missile.

If we're talking static bombs, you can already make custom bombs using missile components, propellant tanks, ammo magazines and reactors.
There was some talk of breaching charges, but I don't know if devs have confirmed that or if it was just people throwing ideas around.
But hear me out, BIG BOOM
It could go along way as a way of terrorism, you could blow up buildings, space stations which huge bombs.

WolfiAUT

Active endo
But hear me out, BIG BOOM
It could go along way as a way of terrorism, you could blow up buildings, space stations which huge bombs.
The idea was to have bombs that are just like the rockets - so you could even build them inside a ship and blow the ship up, given you have all the stuff with you and are fast enough before anyone notices.

PopeUrban

Veteran endo
The idea was to have bombs that are just like the rockets - so you could even build them inside a ship and blow the ship up, given you have all the stuff with you and are fast enough before anyone notices.
You can already do this with missiles.

All you have to do is bolt a bunch of explosives together, or bolt them to a thing, and wire them to a single controller.

The core of every missile is just an explosive waiting to be switched on and explode. Hell you could use missiles do do controlled demolition of an entire ship with a series of small and relatively hard to notice charges, bundle them all up as one big charge fired with a thruster at a target, etc.

CalenLoki

Master endo
You can already do this with missiles.

All you have to do is bolt a bunch of explosives together, or bolt them to a thing, and wire them to a single controller.

The core of every missile is just an explosive waiting to be switched on and explode. Hell you could use missiles do do controlled demolition of an entire ship with a series of small and relatively hard to notice charges, bundle them all up as one big charge fired with a thruster at a target, etc.
Afaik only way to connect missiles to automatic yolol network is via the launcher.
So your idea requires either manually settings each warhead timer with UT, shooting them or relaying on chain explosion.
That's not very convenient for any large scale destruction.

Luckily they are already planning yolol-compatible explosives.

Vis

Active endo
Really, they need to have explosive charges in many different sizes, not just big ones for blowing up ships and stations. They need very small ones so you could use them as breaching charges to blow the hinges off of doors or to blow the canopy off your fighter when you eject. XD

What if instead of big boom, we go more towards big mass. Instead of explosive you could go for a dummy round that has a high mass. Thus crushing armor and sending the inner shrapnel as mach speeds through the inner working of the enemy ship :)

Amos.37

Veteran endo
What if instead of big boom, we go more towards big mass. Instead of explosive you could go for a dummy round that has a high mass. Thus crushing armor and sending the inner shrapnel as mach speeds through the inner working of the enemy ship :)
I mentioned an idea like this under a different thread, one on weapon ideas.
The idea of fragmentation rounds or shaped charges for internal damage. The big problem with them is implementation. An explosive is just way easier to program and calculate, damage done to all objects in a volume around the centre of the explosion, than shrapnel damage, which must calculate the damage of the initial impact, then 'x' number of 'random' fragments and the damage for each of those fragments.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it in game, but it would be a lot of work from the devs to create and balance it compared to straight up explosives or AP rounds.

WolfiAUT

Active endo
AP rounds from guns will be a thing from what I heard - rockets with an FMJ or AP (war)head, wouldn't be too effective. To penetrate armor, you need a small and fast projectile.

Just take a look at real life ballistics - 9mm, 50AE or 12ga slugs are awful to penetrate armor, but perfect to stop soft targets (like humans), typical rifle rounds like the .223 or the .308 NATO are way better in terms of armor penetration than slower and thiccer rounds.

Long story short - rockets with a hard and non explosive head would suck and would only be good for target practice.

Brushes

Well-known endo
HEAT doesnt need to be fast... Neither does HESH but that requires fragments. Could have effective rocket AP rounds if more damage mechanics were created... However HE rockets appear to be plenty effective vs armor in the battle vids.

WolfiAUT

Active endo
From what I've understood he meant non explosive hard heads. And that would be silly af.

HEAT sounds like it tries to be helpful against armor plus internet systems, but that would take away penetration power and damage of internal systems, since it has to be a balance between it's abilities.

I'd rather tear up armor with APs and follow it up with some HEs to get the best result.