Do the Bodies Orbit or Rotate?

Hey all, just had a question. I've been considering developing a 3D mapping tool for travel within Starbase, but when I began outlining my project I realized there are a few outstanding questions that need answered before proceeding:

1) Do the planets and moons rotate?

2) Do the stations orbit planetary bodies, or are they statically "floating" in space (for lack of a better term)?

I'm not in the CA or I would have just figured it out myself, but for those of you who've been on the inside, any insight on these questions? Or perhaps anyone else who has access to this information?

The reason for the questions is such: If I want to create a trajectory using base stations and planets as reference points I need to know the instantaneous positions of the points in order to plot an accurate course to a target. If these points are static and no orbital, it's a piece of cake, just simple vector geometry. If they are orbiting and their position is a function of time, then things will get a wee bit math heavy, but nothing too bad.

XenoCow

Master endo
Currently they planet and moons are static and the sun rotates around them. Also, Stations are stationary.

This is inly how it is now, so things might change later as I'm sure you are aware. I found/inferred this information from the FAQ on the wiki: wiki.starbasegame.com

Last edited:

MrFaul

Well-known endo
I think it will stay static like SE.
I don't think it is worth the time to implement, it would add so little to the actual game-play.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Not to mention that non-static celestial bodies just wouldn't work with speed limit.
Only way I could see planets orbit (but not moons or stations) is to have them as separate "servers" that can be travelled between only using some kind of teleportation.