Fan made starbase construction demo

Okim

Frozenbyte Developer
Frozenbyte
Hey, Marki!
Enjoying your tool a lot! Great work!

I`m aware that you are busy and such right now, but i have an issue to report and also want to ask for another feature.
That`s all related to 2.4v, but i believe it is also present in the latest version as well (didn`t use for much since i`ve started to work with 2.4 and got very familiar with stick-spawn-rotate system rather than spawn-move-stick one).

1. There is a small corner bit called 'beams_corner_24'. When you place it - it gets borrowed into the beam it was connected to. When you try to use it as a refference point entire beam system shifts by that little amount which that corner was misplaced. This tiny bit is extremely important to properly align frames...
misplaced2.jpg

misplaced1.jpg

2. This little bit is actually not a corner, but an intersection. It works as it should in your tool (with all the sides being sticky for other beams), but you missed other similar corners and angled corners that also act as special all-sided intersections it seems.
extra-connections.jpg

List of these beams that are in need of extra sticky ends / sides:
- beam_corner_36
- beam_corner_48
- beam_angled_72
- beam_angled_96
- beam_angled_108

If you`ll be able to find some time for this - can you also adress it in 2.4 version? If that`s not a huge problem for you, ofcause!

Marki

Active endo
The reason why those places(angled beams) don't stick is because i'm not really sure if they should, same for the stick distance of that small cube, i did alot of searching but didn't find annything so i just had to guess some stuff, if you manage to find some pictures or frames from video's that i missed, send them to me and i will see what i can do.
Hey, Marki!
Enjoying your tool a lot! Great work!

I`m aware that you are busy and such right now, but i have an issue to report and also want to ask for another feature.
That`s all related to 2.4v, but i believe it is also present in the latest version as well (didn`t use for much since i`ve started to work with 2.4 and got very familiar with stick-spawn-rotate system rather than spawn-move-stick one).

1. There is a small corner bit called 'beams_corner_24'. When you place it - it gets borrowed into the beam it was connected to. When you try to use it as a refference point entire beam system shifts by that little amount which that corner was misplaced. This tiny bit is extremely important to properly align frames...
View attachment 301
View attachment 302

2. This little bit is actually not a corner, but an intersection. It works as it should in your tool (with all the sides being sticky for other beams), but you missed other similar corners and angled corners that also act as special all-sided intersections it seems.
View attachment 303
List of these beams that are in need of extra sticky ends / sides:
- beam_corner_36
- beam_corner_48
- beam_angled_72
- beam_angled_96
- beam_angled_108

If you`ll be able to find some time for this - can you also adress it in 2.4 version? If that`s not a huge problem for you, ofcause!

Last edited:

Okim

Frozenbyte Developer
Frozenbyte
In game you place two beams next to each other face to face and bolt them using tiny plates, so there is not much dependancy on sticking really. You can have a beam comming into the middle of the other beam at 90 degrees and still bolt it to gain the desired durability. No need for intersection beams in this case. You can also take an angled beam and use it's angled middle to bolt a new beam to it. To literally achieve a 45 degree redirection that will be sturdy as well.

As for the listed beams - it is pretty much logical for any beam that has its side rails cut to accept the face of the other beam.

Direct I-panel bolting on the ends of the beams: https://wiki.starbasegame.com/index.php/Spaceship_Engineering#/media/File:Armour_Plate.png

L-shaped panel that connects two beams behind the chair (which in your tool will never stick to each other since the horizontal beam is a single entity and has no faces to 'stick' to it): https://wiki.starbasegame.com/index.php/Spaceships#/media/File:Starbase_vasama1.png

Marki

Active endo
I know about the beam on beam placements that you are talking about, i have implemented this in the new version, i will do the same in the old version if i have time, and i was working on plates and bolts for a future release.

As far as i have seen and read, building things at 45 degrees can only be done with the plates or by using hinges? It's a bit unclear.

Doing certain things might look like the logical thing to do but if said thing is not a 100% supported in the game, making a cool ship in the demo but later finding out that the same ship can't be build in the game would be pointless.

So, i'm sorry but.. I would still need some proof that those things are actually possible in the game.

Okim

Frozenbyte Developer
Frozenbyte
Whatch this video for the proofs.

0:16 Beams are being placed face-to-side without the need to stick to tips of beams.

0:33 Beams supporting control pannel. That's an angled beam that is placed on the long beam by the side of it's tip rather than a face. Also it is cut off and another beam is bolted to it at 45 degrees.

3:01 Angled beams are placed in such a way that their tips are used as intersections for other 3 beams comming at 90 degrees to it (sides and from top).

I'm in no way asking for crazy options like sticking beams at 45 angles. That is possible since nothing stops you from placing a long beam to the side of the angled beam, but would be very hard for your tool. I'm asking for the ability to stick a beam to any surface of the existing beam. That's what is currently being possible in game and that's how most of the smaller ships are made.

Marki

Active endo
Whatch this video for the proofs.

0:16 Beams are being placed face-to-side without the need to stick to tips of beams.

0:33 Beams supporting control pannel. That's an angled beam that is placed on the long beam by the side of it's tip rather than a face. Also it is cut off and another beam is bolted to it at 45 degrees.

3:01 Angled beams are placed in such a way that their tips are used as intersections for other 3 beams comming at 90 degrees to it (sides and from top).

I'm in no way asking for crazy options like sticking beams at 45 angles. That is possible since nothing stops you from placing a long beam to the side of the angled beam, but would be very hard for your tool. I'm asking for the ability to stick a beam to any surface of the existing beam. That's what is currently being possible in game and that's how most of the smaller ships are made.
Like i've said before, i know about the beam placement that you highlighted at 0:16, im working on it, and for the console beam at 0:33, when i saw it in the video the first time i thought that it was some special block like the roller cage beams or other decorative blocks, i didn't think that it was a normal angled beam cut to size...thanks for pointing it out!

Okim

Frozenbyte Developer
Frozenbyte
That angled beam It might be a legacy item. Or a newly added one.
It is cut very precisely...

Okim

Frozenbyte Developer
Frozenbyte
Asked devs about angled connections. Got an answer:

Okim, в 15:36

Well, i was asking about the angled beams earlier today.
Like if that is possible to bolt beams this way.

AkseliFB (Designer), в 15:42

@Okim just tested that bolt connection. Our auto bolt tool does not understand that connection, but you can do it manually, it works just fine

Okim

Frozenbyte Developer
Frozenbyte
The auto bolt tool is their thingy that automatically places bolts and connection plates to finish the beam frame.

Okim

Frozenbyte Developer
Frozenbyte
Well, no!

That feature is possible, but as you can see i somewhat 'broke' the accepted concept by asking about that angled beam bolting.
It is not officially supported by their tools :p

Marki

Active endo
It may not be supported by the bolting tool, but if that beam can be placed on the angled beam like that in starbase, i would still have to find a way to do the same in my building tool.

Looks awesome, can't wait to download it when i get home. Until then, can I download it on a MacBook or does it only work on windows?

Marki

Active endo
Hey, Marki!
Any plans for updating the demos?
placement test.png

Maby... i have been working on the old version, updating it with the new models, improved save/load, adding some more placement options, and some more stuff.
placement test.png

Last edited:
Don't mean to sound boastful, but I'm glad my suggestion in the discord for a ship designing software, before the game was released, was listened to

Marki

Active endo
Don't mean to sound boastful, but I'm glad my suggestion in the discord for a ship designing software, before the game was released, was listened to
People were asking for a way to make simple ship frames for a while, and because i had some experience making something similar with the unity3d engine, i decided to make a simple construction demo for the community.