Flying Factory

five

Master endo
Hear me out. What about you build a flying factory used for producing 1 type of fighter or maybe even a minelayer that builts his mines on the fly.

MoneylooJr

Well-known endo
I'm not sure if you'll be able to build this. Factories are pretty big IIRC, and i'm not sure if you'd be able to run the factory part and the ship part on one vessel. That's assuming you'll be able to use all the important factory devices on ships and not just stations.

five

Master endo
I'm not sure if you'll be able to build this. Factories are pretty big IIRC, and i'm not sure if you'd be able to run the factory part and the ship part on one vessel. That's assuming you'll be able to use all the important factory devices on ships and not just stations.
Assuming it is possible i WILL try it, first would be a mine layer ship, because that would be a small scale production, not requiring huge amounts of manufacturing space

Verbatos

Veteran endo
Assuming it is possible i WILL try it, first would be a mine layer ship, because that would be a small scale production, not requiring huge amounts of manufacturing space
Depends on the size of the mines I would say. If they were just a couple of missiles attached to a fuel tank, it could work, otherwise, no.
How are you planning on designing these mines?

five

Master endo
Depends on the size of the mines I would say. If they were just a couple of missiles attached to a fuel tank, it could work, otherwise, no.
How are you planning on designing these mines?
i dont have a concrete idea yet but it should be using the remote explosive ind evelopment

CalenLoki

Master endo
Devs said that most components will be available for ships as well.
So it should be possible.
But would it be really viable?
It depends on storage space and mass needed for carrying ready-made mines/fighters vs space and mass needed for required materials/components + all the machinery required for production.
We're in space, so size is largely irrelevant for non-combat ship.
Ready made components are much lighter than raw materials. IIRC up to 100x lighter (complex FCU).
Assembly machinery weights.
That makes carriers almost always better (faster, more fuel efficient) options than mobile factories. The only exception is when you plan to mine and process or loot resources on the spot (i.e. at newly captured station or very far from your station).

I think factories on ships would be cool because I think giant ships should be encouraged (if they are soon able to be built)

five

Master endo
I think factories on ships would be cool because I think giant ships should be encouraged (if they are soon able to be built)
If had last week a conversation with my friend about this exact topic, though we were talking about implementing a small automated refuelling and refreshing factory within a carrier. There arent going to be ships in a similar scale as the Exekutor.
Why?
Lemme list some points:
1. They are impractical to fly around since (even though there are less astroids outside of the belt itself) there are asteroids as far as i know everywhere
2. But what if there is enough space to fly around one of those things. Well this ship would require a extremely large amount of fuel, fuel rods, spare parts and personell. This means the ships base cost would be in the around 100.000.000.000.000.000.000 plus a daily of lets be optimistic 50 million. Plus you will have to have either very much automation which requires space, more money, and electricity or you have personell, which considering this is a game it would be very hard to make a 6-hour trip with everyone being online and active all the time (considering you play in the evening or afternoon and have a job). So for any military fleet it would be much more cost efficient to have more smaller ships
3. To the war side of things again. For the argument: "Well giant ships could be built buy non military factions as well". That investment wouldn't be remotely worth it if you were not planning to use it in a military, not to mention it couldn't land on stations itself. Now in a war scenario in star base I would rather have 6 Veneattor-sized ships then 1 as big as a Exekutor. Because more ships means that there is not just 1 bullet sponge, but multiple. Also having more ships means you would have more strategic options other than just being a giant rock in the sky flying towards something. Another point to be wary about is that guns have limited range. You cannot start a battle from 5 kilometers away. You also gotta go in close and personel, which makes it harder to defend ur crucial points.

This is why I believe that giant ships have no other use than for show, or optic or psychologic warfare.

And also to flying factories: I still support the idea of the mine layer type craft, but factories for fighters dont work, especially not if you are attacking the enemy. Instead my friend and I want to focus on a simple 3 piece fleet: a Carrier, a Battleship/Corvette, a Maintenance-Ship/Flying Factory.
IBF.png
As can be seen in this lovely little drawing I made in paint.

As far as mine production and use goes, I've thought a lot a bout it, this is how I plan on making mines, This sort of structure built into the ship and then after it get released, using the blueprint building tool, you just repair it back on, fuel it with YOLOL code, and cut it off again. 10/10

Attachments

CalenLoki

Master endo
Don't think that bug where repaired items have 0 armour will last long enough to see real use for such mines.
But clever idea within current game "mechanics" :p

Don't think that bug where repaired items have 0 armour will last long enough to see real use for such mines.
But clever idea within current game "mechanics" :p
How does that mean, repaired items, Say I'm mining in space, and I have a section of crates on the top of my ship I want to be able to but off, rebuild, and have powered and picked up laters. Are they just going to deteriorate in space before anyone gets the chance or are they going to be fine for a little while.

CalenLoki

Master endo
ATM they'll be fine, because we don't have environmental hazards.
However, they'll be wet toilet paper against bullets.
I thought you planned to use that to make sure thruster will detonate the prop tank.

I have all sorts of modules I want to leave in space, floating ore containers with 1 battery and recourse bridge, yes, of course, exploding mines, radio transmission robuts that spread propaganda about casual 1 sided pre programmed conversation. I also have an idea for a transmitter proxy bot for when people walk into within 1k of your space zones