Frustration with Refill propellant tank and rods

FRUSTRATION

Another ship lost in space because of this. You cannot refill the propellant tank if it is not empty, and it is not possible, in many cases, to be empty. There is also no possibility to empty it.

Please, if you do not know how to solve that it is not perfectly empty, add the option to empty it. Or most logical of all, being able to fill the container regardless of the amount of propellant it has inside. I don't understand the reasoning you have come up with to force players to go through this frustrating process.

Womble

Veteran endo
Completely fair point. It's deeply frustrating. Even if a partial refill cost the same as a full refill, it'd be better; I get that the system probably isn't set up to have variable amounts of needed ore based on the conditions pertaining at time of creation. If you want to refill a half-empty thing, there'd be a "waste", but that's a decision for the endo to make when they feel they need to refill.

Sylwester

Active endo
I found 2 workarounds for this problem:
I noticed that tanks/fuel rods get completely empty if at the time of reaching 0 resource they are connected to other tanks/fuel rods (fuel chambers connected directly or through generators) that are not getting empty at the same time. You can achieve this with manual control or with yolol.

The other way (propellant tanks only) is to refuel from external tank (not connected to pipe network of your ship) through the connection of 2 resource bridges.

The other way (propellant tanks only) is to refuel from external tank (not connected to pipe network of your ship) through the connection of 2 resource bridges.
Yeah, I did that, and you know what happens? That the tank that is used to refill the one of your ship, is not emptied either, and therefore, you cannot refill it.

that are not getting empty at the same time. You can achieve this with manual control or with yolol.
you cannot do it manually and the problem is not that "they are not finished at the same time" because it happens even if you have only one unit in your ship and it is not connected to anything else

Throdnk

Well-known endo
This also doesn't work reliably, tried it yesterday and always had 1 left in the emptied tank.

Sylwester

Active endo
Yeah, I did that, and you know what happens? That the tank that is used to refill the one of your ship, is not emptied either, and therefore, you cannot refill it.
I used this method on a trip to get ymrium and refuelled multiple times along the way. Maybe I got not empty tank one time, but I think I got it to become completely empty by uninstalling it and installing it again. I will see if it was only my luck after a few more trips.

you cannot do it manually and the problem is not that "they are not finished at the same time" because it happens even if you have only one unit in your ship and it is not connected to anything else
If you have only 1 unit installed then there is nothing you can do about it, but you can fix it using different ship design. If you have at least 2 connected units then you can close 1 tank (IsOpenId=0) until they have different propellant amounts or run fuel chambers with different FuelChamberUnitRateLimit. I use yolol to control my connected fuel chambers so they don't run at the same rate and so far I have not gotten a single fuel rod with 0.01... fuel left over in it.

To clarify: connected fuel chambers means physically connected - 2 fuel chambers bolted to each other, or bolted to generator units that connect them.

Last edited: