FYI If you plan to log out away from a station

Vampiricdust

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
l ship 1.PNG

For those of you who want to explore the belt and won't return to a station every time and play with others. Where you log out is where you log in. So you will need to play together at all times or make arrangements should someone leave early. Otherwise, you'll be left behind.

Something like a cryopod, where you or your friends can use stor their bodies while offline, would be a nice solution to that problem.
+ If it is a cryopod per person you need to take that into account when designing ships. As in it crews 4 people will it have 4 cryopods? Or do you install a few extra for other people to tag along.

I for one hope they come with some sort of solution so I don't log on, in deep space far away from any space-station, without my spaceship, as someone has stolen it or my friends have moved to a new location.

its definitely a problem to overcome, this would probably be the least taxing solution for both client and server. when atlas first launched and there were 5000 people logged off in any given freeport it was a nightmare having the game render all the bodies and this exact solution was used and is still used.

Vexus

Master endo
It should be interesting to see what gameplay comes out of "one life to live" style gameplay when outside the safe zone. For most of the early game it won't be an issue, and as people start taking risks, exploring and getting into confrontations, then it will matter if you live or die.

A big issue with respawning is large groups can always abuse such a system more than small groups. If you can have a ship that allows 3 respawns on it, the big group will bring 10 of those ships, where a small group might not have the manpower to run even a single one of those ships.

My main concern with respawning is players randomly dying and being 1hr away from their friends and how that would be difficult for an MMO. If perhaps there were some way to piece-back-together your robot-friend who died, it might work. A large group will have trouble piecing together the parts for one person when there's so many parts lying around, and it puts a time and effort mechanic into it - one person focused on rebuilding someone isn't doing anything else, taking them out of any immediate fight.

The other issue is even with this, if respawning - rebuilding the robot - is free, then there's not much meaning in dying if you have someone who can put you back together, making suicide a very attractive option. If instead, there were some resource cost for any kind of respawning, then your life still matters and you're less likely to do stupid things.

If finding the parts to rebuild a robot took a little time depending on how they 'died', then there's a choice players would have to make. Go for the revive, or keep pushing the enemy. If you die in space however, this leads to another problem of being left floating in space - do you respawn, 1 hour away from where your friends are, or sit there AFK in space for 30 minutes waiting for someone to rebuild you?

The most simple solution is one life. It's the most balanced over all, just splits groups up a bit much, so they'll have to play close and tight. In the long run, hopefully some meaningful solution can be found.

Bloodlance

Well-known endo
I think respawn on ships is a big nono. Borg alcove style log off points are ok, imo. , but not respawn.

CalenLoki

Master endo
It's about logging off/in, not respawning. While it sounds similar, let's not derail the thread.

IMO log-off chamber option is a must, we all agree on that.

But I also think that bodies outside of safe zone should stay in game, fully lootable, destructible, moveable, ect.
I don't want ambushes where enemy player appear out of thin air in a room I already checked. Or any other application of combat logging.
It also allows putting teammate who just lost connection into safe log-off chamber.
It won't be any isdue for FPS as it can happen only outside stations.

Within safezone IMO bodies should disappear (to prevent lag). But re-loging should place you in a designated spawn point. NOT at the place you logged off. To prevent abuse, like boxing in players.

Bloodlance

Well-known endo
i think best take baby steps and just do the log off alcove and log in to the same alcove. and have it take power from ship/station nonstop.

Vexus

Master endo
Good point about combat-logging. You could log off if you knew an enemy was coming, and then log back in when you thought they left and then sneak up behind them. This tactic in DayZ with people server hopping to change positions basically was very unfun.

If for example there are explosives, you'd have some on you, log out in a control room, and when your team tells you the enemies are in the control room, you log in and blow everyone up. Not much the enemy could do about it at that point.

Vexus

Master endo
log back in, 30 second weapon CD timer or something like that could be a thing.
Still doesn't avoid the situation of say you logging out, an enemy squad clearing a room, and then you appear behind them later on out of nowhere, from a room they thought was cleared. It's a tricky subject.

Bloodlance

Well-known endo
Doesn't fix combat logging, only slightly delays it. Also immersion breaking.

Is there even one reason why bodies shouldn't stay in game outside safe zones?
Here is one,

Do you want to log back in, and find yourself in a dark box in random location with no legs and no arms, and unable to do anything. As far as i know, there is no button for respawn(suicide ingame).

We could have a player named "Collector" who collects players in boxes in his Starbase. And the only thing we can do is to start a new character.

:D

CalenLoki

Master endo
There is suicide button in every reasonable game. Especially in one where players have so much freedom to get stuck or block someone. So being boxed would be equivalent to being killed.

Bloodlance

Well-known endo
There is suicide button in every reasonable game. Especially in one where players have so much freedom to get stuck or block someone. So being boxed would be equivalent to being killed.
what if you want to get boxed and put on display ? :D someone might pay ingame Cr for it.