How to make the game more real-world friendly

What's next? Game mode in a private session? Pvp only by invitation to a duel? Why do all games involving free pvp and full loot necessarily have snowflakes requiring them to create conditions of complete safety everywhere? Anton, you have a safe zone to feel safe. Don't leave her. Never leave.

this game is strongly based on risk versus reward, there are way more players interested in this function that originally drove them to the game. they gave those not looking for conflicts a way more than needed safezone area. and if you can't find time for the game, that is a YOU problem and doesn't speak for every player out there who also have extremely busy schedules and families. There are a lot of games out there that are designed to take months to progress in and not meant to be conquered in a week. so this is like buying into EA and complaining about the low content and bugs as the core is being designed, except this is where people pay for a game knowing they don't have that kind of time to spend on it and then complain that it isn't designed for their schedule. then an idea is presented as a solution but the solution seems to be one sided for small minority of players. so how does that work as a solution to make the game better? drive out the majority of players who literally bought the game for these exact kind of gameplay mechanics?
If you have to get your ships by means of an AFK player, that just speaks volumes about you. EA isn't an excuse for lackluster progression.

Guys guess what, another game that has been successful for over 20 years has ALREADY FIGURED THIS OUT! Crazy right? we don't need to reinvent the wheel on this one!! Woohoo!

30 seconds or 1 minute log off timer, (or whatever tf you want it to be) then your ship warps off into oblivion. Problem solved! Yay!

If salvagers/pirates want to cry over not being able to take someone's ship who is afk, that's their problem. Get gooder

pavvvel

Veteran endo
I've been thinking. On matters of phylosophy and justice. Of risc and reward, universe e.t.c.
And I came to conclusion that taking an unpiloted ship apart is not PVP. And leaving your ship outside the SZ is not "risc". I's just a flaw in the overhaul game mechanics. You are supposed to be a robot, that needs no sleep, food and anything but more resources and power. There is no logical in-game explanation why the robot leaves the ship for several days or does nothing for at least for 80% of time (if you play not more than 5h every day).
So the universe would seem more alive if unmanned ships just disappeared. They can not fight anyway! So by giving players the chance to loot unmanned ships you just give them somenthing for nothing.

I know your concern. Why not leave the ship in the middle of a fight?
Well, I have a suggestion. Behold: the despawner-jamming device!
It acts like a wide-range cannon (or a hand-hold tool). You get a visual on the ship you want to attack. You target it with the jammer-device for several seconds. And boom! The ship can not despawn until the source of jamming signal or the attacked ship reaches a safezone or the source of jamming signal is destroyed. So if you want to fight - you will get a fight. But a real fight. With something that is able to shoot back or at least run away. And if you used the jammer, your ship will not be able to despawn until the attacked ship is destroyed (zero speed, no active generators and dead or offline owner) or in the safezone. So the fight would be ... a fight.
Stop justifying the introduction of your proposed mechanics. There is no lore or narrative in the game.
It's been explained to you 100 times already that this is a delusional idea that will abuzz and kill the game.

Are you just trolling us? Are you trying to make us angry and provoke conflict?

If you have to get your ships by means of an AFK player, that just speaks volumes about you. EA isn't an excuse for lackluster progression.
There is nothing wrong with blowing up/robbing an AFK ship. Players who do it are the good ones. You have no evidence that this activity makes players bad. Stop insulting people here.

If salvagers/pirates want to cry over not being able to take someone's ship who is afk, that's their problem. Get gooder
Stop provoking conflict here. Behave yourself culturally

30 seconds or 1 minute log off timer, (or whatever tf you want it to be) then your ship warps off into oblivion. Problem solved! Yay!
You probably haven't seen the measly 3000 online in Elite Dangerous. The game is absolutely broken by the mechanics you suggest here. You look like a troll who's come to piss people off.

MAXD

Veteran endo
It's true that due to the cruel rule of SB we cant quit easily when playing.
You may need to plan your tour before playing SB in a day.
That's kinda bad point for a game that often take hours to get to another station of your friends by even max speed.
And if you quit or disconnect accident, Uwill face another thing I mention below.
There is another problem among my people:
We often find us far from our ship when we reconnected after a disconnection by any reason.
This is fine if your transponder is open or ur inside the SZ.
But we usually not in the SZ and wont keep transponders opening.
This often lead to ship losing and nobody did anything wrong.
This is mainly due to the Internet I guess and I hope FB can do something with it by some new features.

pavvvel

Veteran endo
If there is no gravity, you won't be far from the ship when you restart the game - it will be in range.
The problem can only occur where there is gravity. I think just need to move the warp gate away from the moon, change the gravity in that area. no other "exit mechanics" are needed, as they will be 100% abusive.

Last edited:
What's next? Game mode in a private session? Pvp only by invitation to a duel?
PVP - is player versus player! Not "player versus empty ship"!
In my model the attacked ship can not avoid PVP if trageted by jamming device. Taking damage from weapons also starts the PVP-mode. So if you are outside the SZ and you got in a fight - you can not get out by any abusive ways. You have to win or at least get yo the SZ. Seriously, I'm not a game-dev. I do not see any ways to abuse the meachanics that I have suggested.

The problem can only occur where there is gravity. I think just need to move the warp gate away from the moon, change the gravity in that area. no other "exit mechanics" are needed, as they will be 100% abusive.
- I think there should be some rented docks (player or dev made) in the gravity areas. That will be fair and in-universe.
And a gravity-sensor would also be handy.

Last edited:
That was my first thought. But I just wanted to improve the idea a bit. Imagine a rare situation. You persute a ship. It goes offline 10-30 seconds before you catch it. So i came up to a longer despawn-timer period idea. And the other problem - you win a fight. Your opnent log out. You get no loot. So that's how i came to "partialy aboandoned ships" and despawn jamming on weapon-delt damage or despawn-jammer action. I wanted to satisfy the pirates. :)

We often find us far from our ship when we reconnected after a disconnection by any reason.
- The simplest and the most expected solution is respawning the player in the last pilot seat that the player was in before logging out. I'm sure the devs are aware of the problem and fixing it.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with blowing up/robbing an AFK ship. Players who do it are the good ones. You have no evidence that this activity makes players bad. Stop insulting people here.
- Robbing an AFK ship does not make the player bad. Damn, i robbed a couple of those myself!
It makes the GAME not as good as it could be. The ones who rob get reward for no risk. That's not as satisfying as getting a trophy in a fight. The ones who are robed just find their ship destroyed. They get penalty just for not playing the game. Both things are wrong.
And my jammer device concept is not like "duel invitations" in other MMO-games. If you are shot at or jammed - that's it. YOU CAN NOT despawn or refuse to accept the fight whatsoever.

In addition, I believe the station should receive some maintenance. This will at least save us from the dead abandoned cubes scattered here and there.
- I like this idea! As I see it, the cube should have a charge that is used for doing station-stuff. Like transponding, storing items, keeping up the safe-zone and so on. Once it runes out of power it explodes, in a flash (like the ones you often see int the belt) and all the goodies are just hanging in the area of explosion like a cloud. Building ymirium-consuming solar panels will be the only way to make the station eternal and not maintainance-damanding.

@anton_stezhkin sounds like he or she is more interested in a low risk environment.
- I'm not against risc as such. I just don't like the risk to depend on out-of-game situations. The longer you are offline - the greater is the risk... I don't think the time offline should influence the game in this way.
Being robbed by pirates - that's ok.
Smash my ship into a space-rock - fine! I bought the game for this.
Log out, go away for some days and find my ship taken apart - that's wrong. Because there is no ingame explanation for this.
I'm a very lore-sesetive player. Having robots disppear to nowhere and leaving their stuff in space for no reason kinda kills the immersion for me.

pavvvel

Veteran endo
PVP - is player versus player! Not "player versus empty ship"!
A player against another player is always pvp.
It doesn't matter if his ship is empty. it makes no difference if the other player can defend himself. if he can't, it's his own fault, he didn't prepare. a miner can be made armoured and armed. to cover the generator bay with three layers of armour and add some guns you use a weight comparable to 20 crates of heavy ore. and on a truck, on average, 500 crates. so what are we talking about...?

- Robbing an AFK ship does not make the player bad. Damn, i robbed a couple of those myself!
It makes the GAME not as good as it could be. The ones who rob get reward for no risk. That's not as satisfying as getting a trophy in a fight. The ones who are robed just find their ship destroyed. They get penalty just for not playing the game. Both things are wrong.
And my jammer device concept is not like "duel invitations" in other MMO-games. If you are shot at or jammed - that's it. YOU CAN NOT despawn or refuse to accept the fight whatsoever.
Robbing an AFK ship doesn't make the game worse.
It makes the game better. It makes players think about how to hide their ship. And if they didn't think hard enough, chances are they will get robbed. Some of them just go out for a beer. It's possible to get robbed. It improves the gameplay.
It's been explained to you 100 times already that your proposed idea kills adequate gameplay. When are you going to stop flubbing in here?

And what makes you think it's a risk-free reward?
Who's stopping you from making a bait ship and then killing the robber? The robber risks being killed and losing his ship every second. To rob someone, you have to spend time outside the ship.

I just don't like the risk to depend on out-of-game situations. The longer you are offline - the greater is the risk...
Do you realise that capital ships will violate the stations' safe zone even when you are asleep and destroy all the ships parked at this station?? Read the game description on Steam and realise it's a completely destructible universe. The developers have stated this.
Stop your vine.

Log out, go away for some days and find my ship taken apart - that's wrong.
..who says it's wrong?

I'm a very lore-sesetive player. Having robots disppear to nowhere and leaving their stuff in space for no reason kinda kills the immersion for me.
No one is forcing you into this game.

By empty ship I mean a ship, with owner offline. If the players is just outside - that's complitely OK. If the owner is offline it's not PVP. It's PVE (player versus empty) or player versus nonone.
If you break into Mike Tyson's house while he is away, take the champion's belt and get away - you can not say "I've beaten Tyson, he was unprepaired. The belt is rightfully mine! Im the Champion now!". For exactly the same reason you can not call looting an AFK ship PVP.
"It makes players think about how to hide their ship. And if they didn't think hard enough, chances are they will get robbed. " - Wasn't it you who complained about station cubes hanging all around? It's space, man! How can one think of hiding better or worse? You just fly to the desnsiest dust-cloud and the rest is pure random.
To rob someone, you have to spend time outside the ship. - That's almost zero risc compared to a ship fight.
Who's stopping you from making a bait ship and then killing the robber? - My mortality and physiology. Even with a transponder on I will have to wait for several hours or even a day :)
who says it's wrong? - I do. You can agree or not.
Do you realise that capital ships will violate the stations' safe zone even when you are asleep and destroy all the ships parked at this station?? - The siedge mechanics is in progress. And the destrucion of parked ships with the station is fair. Because it has ingame explanation and can be avoinded by planning and player cooperation.

Last edited:

mikan

Well-known endo
Invincible armor that can leave only the capital ship, the ship! Well, I don't think anyone like you can understand, but for a huge ship, if this ship is easily stolen, tens of hours of work will quickly return to zero. Especially those who are new to the game are more likely to die and end the game if they don't have a ship, no ore, or can't afford a ship. Also, why not mine ore? However, there is no such mining vessel. Because you steal or destroy. Therefore, it is desirable that another person's ship is not stolen.

pavvvel

Veteran endo
anton_stezhkin
I can see that trying to explain it to you is a waste of time.
You're littering the forum and trolling, begging for mechanics that are destructive to MMOs.

Because you steal or destroy. Therefore, it is desirable that another person's ship is not stolen.
make sure they don't steal from you and destroy you. others can. but you can't?

Especially those who are new to the game are more likely to die and end the game if they don't have a ship, no ore, or can't afford a ship.
If you remove the ability to loot AFK ships, many players will leave the game. and other players won't buy the game and won't come to it at all.
Starbase is a hardcore game for smart people. If you want to make Starbase into another game for casuals, then the game will die.

Askannon

Veteran endo
- Ok. I'm not smart enough to hide my ship in space. But I'm smart enough to ask someone smart...
So, how do I hide my ship?
Put it out of sight, i.e. a bit inside a dust cloud.
Hell, even stations with their now glowing safe zone don't pop inside a cloud until you are 3 or 2 km of it and ships' visibility inside a cloud is probably more akin to 500m (if even).

And now lets think about what that means when you are 50km, 100km and 150 km away from the origin stations:
A 8km^3 area compared to 2.500, 10.000 or 22.500km^3 corresponds to 8/2500=0,32% (0,32%/4 and 0,32%/9)
Unless you are on the most commonly travelled route/coordinates... is it likely that someone is even in the area where you are? How often do you park in the open and absolutely nothing happens?

Now with 500m
2km/500m = 4, 4^3= 64, so 0,32%/64=0,005%

How low do you want your risk to be, please?

And if that is not your cup of tea, because you fly outside the belt:
fly just 10 km away from the belt and noone will come close enough to see you.