How to reload Mounted weapons?

CalenLoki

Master endo
You need to manually change the mag. Spare mags are stored physically, like most other objects.
Only laser cannon can recharge itself, but it's rather slow: 2s (or 4s? Not sure) per shoot, so several minutes to fully recharge.

Otac

Well-known endo
You need to manually change the mag. Spare mags are stored physically, like most other objects.
Only laser cannon can recharge itself, but it's rather slow: 2s (or 4s? Not sure) per shoot, so several minutes to fully recharge.
In that case, it's a bit cumbersome. I hope to update an ammunition magazine in the future

Burnside

Master endo
It's been suggested, stackable ammo boxes for kinetic guns and some kind of battery-ish thing for lasers or plasma attached by a feed cable. With the devs creating the resource transfer cable, nozzle, and port I think that definitely opens up our ambitions of getting larger/modular magazines implemented. The flipside, however is that can make combats extremely grueling if everyone just carries thousands of shots per weapon and we lose the crew-dependencies for reloading. So, I can totally see if using the small magazines is the most space/weight efficient solution by a long shot even tho they're small and inconvenient to reload.

quantin

Well-known endo
It's been suggested, stackable ammo boxes for kinetic guns and some kind of battery-ish thing for lasers or plasma attached by a feed cable. With the devs creating the resource transfer cable, nozzle, and port I think that definitely opens up our ambitions of getting larger/modular magazines implemented. The flipside, however is that can make combats extremely grueling if everyone just carries thousands of shots per weapon and we lose the crew-dependencies for reloading. So, I can totally see if using the small magazines is the most space/weight efficient solution by a long shot even tho they're small and inconvenient to reload.
so,energy guns are op to the small ships.

Burnside

Master endo
Not really? The laser cannon is half the strength of the autocannon, twice the RoF and only like 200 shots in the mag where the AC has 500 or more

Amos.37

Veteran endo
Like Burnside said, my understanding is that laser and energy weapons are more efficient, but less effective.
Kinetic/projectile weapons are more expensive and cumbersome to operate because you need to worry about ammo more, but much more effective.

Do energy weapons recharge from a ships reactor or do the batteries need to be replaced when spent?
I could see lasers recharging over time, filling a capacitor that effectively works as a slowly refilling mag, and plasma being something you need to replace. Maybe plasma weapons would need a mix of power supply (batteries) and an ionisable gas (fuel tank/mag).

Personally, I don't like the idea of a universal ammo box (like Empyrion, Space Engineers, etc.) and prefer the idea that after combat, fighters and their specific weapons need re-arming. Much more realistic this way.
This also gives carriers and support ships a role in large fights, allowing for re-arming, field repairs, etc.

Burnside

Master endo
iirc lasers recharge one shot every 4 seconds, so you still want to switch magazines to top them off. However, even if you take an LC's barrel off the magazine attached to the receiver on the mount will still recharge and Ville has confirmed you can attach two magazines/receivers to a single weapon mount and create a "recharge rack" of sorts to service spent laser magazines

and as far as ammo boxes, I wasn't advocating fora universal one, but modular/stackable versions of the current versions, so the AC would have an ammo can, it might share this module with flak cannons and rail cannons just because rounds are rounds; the laser cannon would have a large battery, etc, and the plasma cannon would have some kind of large stackable fuel cell or whatever