Hull repair block

TGess

Well-known endo
d2a47d3fe298a6652337f0b25c32a195.jpg
If there are not gonna be any shields is gonna be really tidious to repair your ship manually after every crash or small clash with enemy. Existance of a repair block would make that much easier. Parts that are not completely destroyed would be repaired like with your building tool automaticaly. It would need power and conenction to storage with materials.

Maybe it could work only when your ship is stationary.

Burnside

Master endo
it kinda falls outside of the harder-science scope of the game's general mechanics, so I don't support it- the devs are currently implementing a repair hologram feature to make things easier though

I've read somewhere that devs already said that there will be an option to repair your ship in the docks of most stations.
I think, that stations will be common enough in the starting area, so flying to one and repairing your ship in a dock shouldn't be too much of hassle.
Besides, there should be danger when flying on expeditions, i also like the idea that if you are long enough in empty space, that little damage from various crashes and encounters adds up to the point where it becomes critical.

TGess

Well-known endo
Well but it might give you ability to open yours repair shop at some station that you could own. More bussines opportunities

So, maybe repair block should be in the game as some form of module that can build on your station, using it wouldn't cost resources, only credits but it could function only if station has resources in it's cargo bay, also all credits spend on repair would be transfered to station owner/fund.

Last edited:

CalenLoki

Master endo
That would remove the need to design ships with maintenance in mind. Right now you need to make hard, but meaningful choice between compactness and repairability. Any magic auto repair dumbs down engineering aspect of the game.

Also lack of perfect repair boosts ship market, as over time all ships slowly accumulate damage, patches, makeshift replacements, ect. So after certain time you just want to buy something brand new.

Well, i think it makes sense when expensive, station only module can repair ships completly (over certain amount of time maybe).
Field repair would still be viable as ships far away from station with repair module or with damaged generator/thrusters would have to be repaired by hand.
It also allows for another type of profit for station owners. Such a module would be also strategical compound of station while at war cause it could easily repair damaged fighters/warships (again, over certain amount of time).

Last edited:

Burnside

Master endo
you're not really considering how long of a range most ships get from even single tanks and a few batteries, "far away" is at least 30km, maybe more, especially if you have a choice between a junk patch now or suffering with limping back to a station for a perfect repair, why even carry anything but essential parts if that's the case? it also hampers semi-skilled trades like mechanics and engineers when a device does most of their job for them- I'm being a bit of a luddite here, but this is a building and engineering game, not a techno-magical entertainment shoot-em-up; the advantages and opportunity costs for such a device don't line up with the game's theme

You have a point, but you have to consider that Starbase is also MMO, not all players will be willing to repair their ships after every little crash or other source of damage.
Making repair modules slow, and less efficient then manual repair will balance things out and both options will still be viable.
Besides, here's the quoute from Starbase collected FAQ:

JimiFB (5/28/19): yes, we are planning on making scifimagic melee weaponry
So i wouldn't exacly call Starbase theme hardcore sci-fi/engineering, sure the game is very complex and builders will have a lot of fun with it, but warfare, exploration and trade is equaly important.
P.S. Maybe i should make a poll deciding if repair should be manual only or automatic...

Burnside

Master endo
keeping in mind that nomad systems like ship-board fuel refining is described as creating lower grades of material that damage your systems when used in them, any sort of repair automation magic that isn't done via coded robot arms replacing the endo as a worker should have some manner of drawback that makes it immediately subpar to conventional solutions, just making it slower, cost more materials or power, etc isn't enough

TGess

Well-known endo
Alright alright it was just idea. Ideas are good to discuss. If there is not many supporters to this idea its ok. I just think the game is gonna be hard for like a solo or duo.

Burnside

Master endo
striking out as a small group or alone is hard in a lot of systems that're built around interaction and infrastructure, building and maintaining things alone is tough- that's the whole point though, it's supposed to be a big challenge that not everyone is suited for

and if you're ever worried about my tone or opposition, just use my avatar as a guide, discussion is fun and dissecting an idea down to its bits, even if I don't like it for whatever reason, often provides interesting insights that would not have been gained had we not "beat a dead horse", so even if you don't have a lot of support for your idea, that shouldn't influence your attempt to defend it if you think it has merit- neither of us will be able to learn if you give up on something you hold as valuable

CalenLoki

Master endo
keeping in mind that nomad systems like ship-board fuel refining is described as creating lower grades of material that damage your systems when used in them, any sort of repair automation magic that isn't done via coded robot arms replacing the endo as a worker should have some manner of drawback that makes it immediately subpar to conventional solutions, just making it slower, cost more materials or power, etc isn't enough
Hmm... Making auto-repaired parts noticeably weaker sounds like a good idea. So it'd keep your ship in one piece, but won't be a valid option for high-performance ships.
To throw some numbers: auto-repaired bits only restore half of the base part's "hp" and effect.
So part that was 50% gone after repairing would be 75% of initial durability/function.