I am Just going to say this Once FB

Shulace

Well-known endo
Beware of the echo chambers of the Griefer players, this was the downfall of Dual Universe and I reckon these are the same folks with the devil whispers into ending JCs' career lmao.

Right now you are going to bear the brunt of the full force of these basement dwellers. Keep doing your thing and be respectful of both the (real)PVP and PVE players/ Keep up the solid work, you have my support! Just ignore the newbie griefers!

YellowDucky

Well-known endo
Grifters suck. Pirates are good for PVE players, if the safe zone had no pirates people wouldn’t buy rare ore and would just get it themselves. (Thanks for keeping me in business pirates <3) Im still annoyed that my station cant be colored and has no lights or furniture and deleted my crafting benches in broken factory halls, but no, we need pvp for the basement dwelers. Even I like pvp time to time, but I need to also have more creativive freedom for stations.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
No worries. It's super frustrating to read those rants which have poorly veiled griefer agenda, and more than once I've been very tempted to call out such posts. Let's see if I can keep (moderately) calm in the future as well.

However, nothing in those posts makes me want to do anything even remotely what they want, quite the opposite. So the game is good.

J.D.

Veteran endo
No worries. It's super frustrating to read those rants which have poorly veiled griefer agenda, and more than once I've been very tempted to call out such posts. Let's see if I can keep (moderately) calm in the future as well.

However, nothing in those posts makes me want to do anything even remotely what they want, quite the opposite. So the game is good.
Can you elaborate more on this? I don’t wish to debate if I disagree. Just want to know what this means. Or to put it simple. What is a griefer to you? Outside the safe zone Only speaking. By all means, call out people out. Call me out if you think I’m a griefer. I don’t mind. My intention on these questions is to very thoroughly understand where your mind is, because you are the creator of this game. If I understand the way you think, I’ll know what’s to come, and I’ll take it for what it is.

Last edited:

J.D.

Veteran endo
W
Beware of the echo chambers of the Griefer players, this was the downfall of Dual Universe and I reckon these are the same folks with the devil whispers into ending JCs' career lmao.

Right now you are going to bear the brunt of the full force of these basement dwellers. Keep doing your thing and be respectful of both the (real)PVP and PVE players/ Keep up the solid work, you have my support! Just ignore the newbie griefers!
What exactly is your specific definition of a “griefer?” Be specific. Also, what’s “real” pvp to you? Also, what’s a basement dweller? I’m not even going to add my opinion to any of your comments, I’ve argued enough. I’m done with it. Just want to make sure you know what you are saying, and that I understand what you are trying to say.

On this whole PVP (griefer)/PVE divide... I think it's very artificial, it is not a single axis spectrum. You can have hard core PVErs and docile PVPers, or PVPers who are also builders/miners and PVErs who can hold their own in a gun fight much better than most PVPers. It's nonsensical to treat players as two separate groups and then try to cater to them as if they really are in separate groups on opposite ends of the spectrum. The way these two trenches develop is that all pvpers get lumped into an extreme / toxic exhibit of pvpers, and all pvers get lumped into the "carebear" category. However, the fundamental issue here is personality types, different personality types react to and engage with social games differently.

As it regards pvp, there is an important personality trait (from the Big 5 Personality rubric) called agreeableness that is in large part responsible for how players interact with each other. A player who is low in agreeableness is more competitive, has an easier time climbing social ladders and stepping on toes, can make key decisions in the heat of the moment quickly, etc. The extreme end of pvpers are often ridiculed as sociopaths, consequently all pvpers get thrown into the same "toxic pvper" bucket. Agreeable people tend to be trusting and altruistic, often exhibiting more prosocial tendencies at the cost of being unable to be very competative while being sabotaged by their own altruism. The extreme ends of pvers tend to be called "carebears", and therefore all pvers get thrown into the carebear supreme bucket. Splitting the player base in this matter, creating an artificial divide that doesn't actually address the nuance of player personalities is like fighting with windmills. The diagnosis is wrong, therefore the treatment is erroneous. And this is just one aspect of a 5-trait rubric.

The magic of game design is to integrate multiple personalities into a single universe seamlessly, without creating artificial divides. I am not suggesting safezones should be removed, but I am saying that it is inorganic and leads to more problems than it attempts to solve, both in terms of resource hoarding and setting the groundwork for future conflicts between pvpers and pvpers (at least in the current way FB devs are implementing safezones). Both player types can be accommodated in one pot, there needs to be more avenues for pvers and pvpers to intersect and integrate into the game world, NOT less.

Yet what FB devs are actively consenting to and propagating is a divide between the playerbase, in an MMO of all games... the post by Lauri here is case in point. If you think about players in these categories, you'll end up creating game design much like what Landmark and Dual Universe did... where only a subset of players remained, the types of players who don't give a hell of beans if there are 10,000 or 10 concurrent players in the game as long as they can make their sandcastles in safety.

The reason why there is a divide between PVPers (toxic, griefing scum) and benevolent builders and pvers is not because of players. It is because of the flawed game design. It is because the devs are too short sighted to actually look at the problem they created, the problem they actively propagate.

Last edited:
What this even means? Its utter gaslighting nonsense.

PvP questions or especialy "griefers" has nothing to do with JC career, considering DU during his time had very small ammount of PvP, that was 100% skippable. If anything done by players ever actualy influenced JC career -- it was realsiticly riot by PvE/casual players, who lost their industry during .23 and quit in rows.

Can you elaborate more on this? I don’t wish to debate if I disagree. Just want to know what this means. Or to put it simple. What is a griefer to you? Outside the safe zone Only speaking. By all means, call out people out. Call me out if you think I’m a griefer. I don’t mind. My intention on these questions is to very thoroughly understand where your mind is, because you are the creator of this game. If I understand the way you think, I’ll know what’s to come, and I’ll take it for what it is.
I think it's pretty clear.
They are not going to design the game for "unhealthy" pvp. SUCH AS the topic recently posted asking for "unarmed unwilling" players to gank in not so nice of a tone. I think it's pretty clear what Lauri is saying.

Last edited:

J.D.

Veteran endo
I think it's pretty clear.
They are not going to design the game for "unhealthy" pvp. SUCH AS your topic asking for "unarmed unwilling" players to gank in not so nice of a tone you posted a while back. I think it's pretty clear what Lauri is saying.
ok, so are you saying that the only people I want to attack is unarmed, unwilling players? You think that’s why I’m here? Do you think that’s what all of us pro pvp people are here for? To “dunk on some noobs?” To get our fix of dishing out some “get gud” and “get rekt?” Is that what you think the majority of the pvp community here is about?

Last edited:
ok, so are you saying that the only people I want to attack is unarmed, unwilling players? You think that’s why I’m here?
You do give that vibe with a lot of your comments. But I have to apologize because you aren't the person who posted the topic I was thinking of. So I take that back and sorry for getting it wrong.

To “dunk on some noobs?” To get our fix of dishing out some “get gud” and “get rekt?” Is that what you think the majority of the pvp community here is about?
No but I think there is a very vocal group of people who are.

Last edited:

J.D.

Veteran endo
You do give that vibe with a lot of your comments. But I have to apologize because you aren't the person who posted the topic I was thinking of. So I take that back and sorry for getting it wrong.

No but I think there is a very vocal group of people who are.
Did you ask them if that’s what they wanted to do, or have they specifically said that’s what they wanted to do?

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Can you elaborate more on this?
A griefer is someone whose pure intention is to bully someone to quit the game.

Unhealthy pvp is where the intention is not to get the targets to quit but they do so nevertheless.

Unhealty pve is where pvp'rs quit (due not being able to pvp at all). Some games have enough pve content to sustain pve only, but Starbase does not, so SB can have unhealthy pve as well.

Healthy pvp and pve feed from the mix and no-one quits since they understand and agree the risks. Note that in a healthy situation a lot of toxic players, especially griefers, need to be banned or otherwise shut out of the community. So healthy game may also see a lot of unhealthy people to leave first, but often when the healthy pvp starts to work the unhealthy pvp players return too, despite that they have promised to never return.

Those who have negative or no effect to the development often use personal experience and very demanding tone, personal attacks and calling out the devs for any negative experience they might have had, or even lack of experiences. They know everything as a fact and can tell how the game is dead beyond revival. They also take everything I say or do personally, which doesn't make sense since I'm definitely not developing the game with one person in mind. So I do my best to ignore such people, as they are only hindering progress, not contributing to it.

J.D.

Veteran endo
who is it specifically? I don’t have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. it would make it easier to find the name.
That topic is started by Tomasz but it's just an example I see the same type of comments and posts all over.

This is so funny, every time the same discussion... no, not all pvpers are griefers at all and most pveers want to shoot stuff as well... There is definitely a very large spectrum between both extremes. But there is however this small vocal group that kills the fun for all the others. Nobody could have missed the outcry, as new world changed direction last year and, oh look, it turned out it's for the best... But no worries, there can always be the next "join or die" org, the newbros will be safe then.

There's no point wasting time on this topic, the internet ist full of explanations and evidence of why this happens over and over again.

Vanidar

Well-known endo
Just like anything on the internet, discussion and sometimes reasonable arguments are not conveyed the best. It leads to a lot of us-vs-them and not a lot of good arguments given the fair consideration they deserve on both sides. To that point, I feel targeted by this wide net cast that I'm one of those "basement dwelling", "newbie griefers" by all you fine gentlemen. I feel like some of you are just as much of an echo chamber where "pvpers bad" bounces around over and over and you have no problem being toxic yourself and namecalling and it's cool as long as it's towards us. Such behavior will even get you a reassuring nod from FB. Seems a bit hypocritical.

@ivangrozniy's post here is well said in that some of us aren't trying to grief, we just want to have an environment that supports our personality and playstyle, same as you. I am competitive and I want to fight over resources and areas. I want to play in an area of the game where I have to rely on myself and my company for our survival more than concerned helicopter devs. I enjoy risk of loss and I want risky playstyle to present a proportionate potential upside in resources or credits. Another way to say that, I don't want to feel like I'm obligated to abuse a safezone in order to keep up economically in-game with the rest of you. That's just as much a valid concern as people saying they don't want to be forced to leave the Origin safe zone. I'd like an environment where people are incentivized, not forced, to have conflict with each other organically. You can stay in the safezone and I won't try to drag you out, but maybe it'd be better if we were encouraged to be a bit more homogeneous. The line is really thin on what some of the people here are considering "griefing" and what it feels like with this community is that's basically anyone that supports a balanced risk/reward situation or organic pvp encounters such as myself. I just can't help but feel a little bit alienated and disappointed here.

Last edited:
A griefer is someone whose pure intention is to bully someone to quit the game.

Unhealthy pvp is where the intention is not to get the targets to quit but they do so nevertheless.

Unhealty pve is where pvp'rs quit (due not being able to pvp at all). Some games have enough pve content to sustain pve only, but Starbase does not, so SB can have unhealthy pve as well.

Healthy pvp and pve feed from the mix and no-one quits since they understand and agree the risks. Note that in a healthy situation a lot of toxic players, especially griefers, need to be banned or otherwise shut out of the community. So healthy game may also see a lot of unhealthy people to leave first, but often when the healthy pvp starts to work the unhealthy pvp players return too, despite that they have promised to never return.

Those who have negative or no effect to the development often use personal experience and very demanding tone, personal attacks and calling out the devs for any negative experience they might have had, or even lack of experiences. They know everything as a fact and can tell how the game is dead beyond revival. They also take everything I say or do personally, which doesn't make sense since I'm definitely not developing the game with one person in mind. So I do my best to ignore such people, as they are only hindering progress, not contributing to it.

By your definitions:

We can all agree, using your terms, griefers are not good for the game. Also, by your definitions, people engaging in PvP inside the acceptable in-game design are not griefers by virtue of attacking people, their reasons for doing so --outside of an explicit attempt at getting someone to quit-- being irrelevant. Again, by your own definition.

Unhealthy PvP being where the intention isn't to make someone quit, but the targets quit regardless. Is that the fault of the game / attacking players or the people being attacked? If you get sieged, lose your station, and quit the game because of it -- I suppose station sieges are "unhealthy PvP," by your definitions? If someone just ends up quitting because they get mad beacuse they realize they aren't very good at PvP, is that unhealthy? It's concerning that the definition here kind of correlates to, in essence, making sure people's feelings don't get hurt / they don't have a bad time. The highs and the lows -- risk and reward -- isn't that a big point of gaming, and PvP in general?

Unhealthy PvE being where PvP players quit due to being unable to PvP at *all* is a reach. I'd actually define unhealthy PvE as mechanics that hamstring PvP to the point of relegating it to a red headed stepchild, or a little backroom arcade mini-game. Overly protecting people and being helicopter parents and holding their hands constantly. Design elements or features that are unnecessarily suppressive and rigid, making the ability to PvP become prohibitive outside of a few select channels ala a WoW battleground: that's unhealthy PvE.

If Unhealthy X is correlated to players leaving, the question is, outside of missing mechanics, is it unhealthy PvE or unhealthy PvP that has playercounts down from 9k to 1k? Is PvP viable, feasible, have impact, and widespread? Is it suppressed, difficult to find, rare, and of little substance? Which one of those two statements are true, while we've seen nearly a 90% player count loss? Naturally, unhealthy elements of both are contributing, but my attempt here is to give counterbalance to the vibes I'm getting in this thread, that @Vanidar has called out as well.

The most important part of your post:

Healthy pvp and pve feed from the mix and no-one quits since they understand and agree the risks
People will quit. You will lose players. Defining what's "healthy" and quantifying it by whether or not people quit is odd. I think you mean "financially viable," not "healthy." A lot of people play Clash of Clans, is that healthy game design? P2W interaction is healthy because numbers were high for a long time? Regardless, your point that people should be informed and educated about risks before making them, absolutely. That's why there are safe zones and warnings when you leave it and alarms and little boxes you need to uncheck before leaving the safe zone. That dynamic is already present in game, and understandably so.

The entire tone of the OP, the way "griefers" or "basement dwellers" seem to be used interchangeably and synonmously with players who prefer a risk vs reward PvP playstyle, and gatekeeping "real" PvP, and your relative level of agreement, is interesting, to say the least. I've seen posts like this before, and it seems like people seem to think "real" PvP is basically arranged duels, or large roleplaying fleets, where everyone shows up with stuff they don't care about losing -- then, you shoot for a bit, and go home. No real risk, no real threats, no real loss. That certainly is *a* way to design things. We'll see what path you guys choose, but the general vibe in this thread seems like the play here is an adoption of the mechanics that ensure there aren't very many lows -- but without lows, the highs aren't the same.

I'm not one to call out issues and not propose solutions, though:

A gradient system is something I hope gets to be considered. Other games, like Eve, have successfully used this to appease all groups and make sure people don't quit -- which seems to be the goal here. Eos --> Elysium --> Moon X --> Moon Y --> etc, a gradient of available and desireable materials and resources that correlate with smaller and smaller safe zones, until eventually there are none, and safety comes from your Company and your power projection. If you want "epic" battles, politics, things like that, as well as the ability to appease multiple groups and let them decide where they feel comfortable falling on the gradient instead of this childish back and forth, it's something to consider. This approach, however, doesn't work if we keep giving people who want to be safe 100% of the time access to basically everything. There needs to be a reason to go out, to risk, to adventure past safety.

Last edited:

Kane Hart

Veteran endo

I love you <3