Is pilot vulnerability intended feature?

Tomasz

Well-known endo
In my question im refering to a fact that it is practically impossible to protect pilot and controlls form fire, unless you want to limit visibility.
Im wondering if it is intended that way - and so it will stay, or there are some plans to change it?
Like with cameras allowing pilot to be protected inside ship, but seing thru camera placed outside.Or perhaps glass that would actually protect form anything but hand guns?
Either way - is it as intended or it's just temporary state and there are plans to let pilots be more protected?

Hello Tomasz, i am hovering on those forums without having an account but i created one seeing your message.

You can actually protect your seat by different armor plates, especially the tick ones. But you will be pleased to know that "turret armor" can also be usefull.

But you can also use different thinking like in : Why do you need an armor when you can shoot something with turrets that you command with a mouse while flying ? Surprise your enemies with technology and protective manouvers while sending their ships back to eons.

Sowy for my bad english : i am french ahah

Womble

Veteran endo
Cockpit glass is apparently pretty tough (at least comparable to Bastium plates, I'm given to understand), and you can multilayer it, same as any plate...

I feel this is a pretty reasonable tradeoff to make, and adds some interesting choices to ship design.

You can use multiple cockpits as well. On my last ship i had a 'flight bridge' that was exposed and an protected cockpit that had terrible FOV.

The big glass plates do protect decently well, especially if layered, enough to stop turbo snipes anyway.

YellowDucky

Well-known endo
I mean, I hope it is. I hate in SE how you can hide away in the center of a ship and just hide with cameras. No satisfting way to snipe the pilot, no creative folding armor for windows, it would be wayyyyyy to meta.

Tomasz

Well-known endo
When your pilot is exposed design of rest of your ship practically doesn't matter.
What is the point in 6 layers of armor protecting rest of your ship if cocpic can always be 2-3 shot.
That way "meta" wil lbe to just shoot pilot every friggin time, and design of a ship won't matter much.
If not cameras, there should be some options to properly reinforce glass, like very expensive hard glass, that would really give protection, but cost would make you think twice before using it.

Dear Tomasz,well ,if you intend to protect a pilot , i said you need a turret armor on top of your seat and bolt it on beams. it is charodium by nature and will cover you well . For the head do not worry : you can put plates in front of you at a 30 % angle and be able to see everything because of some weird FOV thing, while people will see you seated behind the plates... i am not sure about what you are concerned. Did you see some headshot aimbots yet ?

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
The boltcrackers memorial in the moon city features actual ships from the tournament, they can be looked for inspiration about pilot protection (back in the medieval days at least).

Vanidar

Well-known endo
When your pilot is exposed design of rest of your ship practically doesn't matter.
What is the point in 6 layers of armor protecting rest of your ship if cocpic can always be 2-3 shot.
That way "meta" wil lbe to just shoot pilot every friggin time, and design of a ship won't matter much.
If not cameras, there should be some options to properly reinforce glass, like very expensive hard glass, that would really give protection, but cost would make you think twice before using it.
Good luck consistently "shooting the pilot" in actual pvp.

Use layers of glass or sacrifice visibility and use layered plates instead with very small window slits.

Making something prohibitively costly would just make it so only the richest companies had them. That's a balancing nightmare. Snowbally.

Last edited:

Kodey

Veteran endo
I (personally) feel that the lack of cameras is a feature, cockpit design has always been a fun challenge for me, building and planning your build around key features such as the thrusters, generators, and of course, the cockpit. Obviously, I take a lot of inspiration from real vehicles, given how I make replicas. But it does give you some good insight into how cockpits work, and how you can design them to be more ergonomic and protected.

To be fair, control panel creation is a major feat itself. There is so much that goes into control systems, I almost feel they're equally challenging when it you compare a CIC setup dealer into a ship, and a windowed cockpit.

However, even modern pilots would prefer a window over a camera.

Foraven

Veteran endo
In my question im refering to a fact that it is practically impossible to protect pilot and controlls form fire, unless you want to limit visibility.
Im wondering if it is intended that way - and so it will stay, or there are some plans to change it?
Like with cameras allowing pilot to be protected inside ship, but seing thru camera placed outside.Or perhaps glass that would actually protect form anything but hand guns?
Either way - is it as intended or it's just temporary state and there are plans to let pilots be more protected?
Canopies gives substantially more protection than normal glass and also make you immune to small arms fire. But yeah, pilots are the most vulnerable part of any ship and there is no way currently to shield them from stray shots.

Foraven

Veteran endo
Well, it's not that easy to hit the pilot with ship based weapons. Hand held weapons makes this much easier, but canopies offer very good protection against that (but more players still prefer plain glass somehow).

Tomasz

Well-known endo
Well, it's not that easy to hit the pilot with ship based weapons. Hand held weapons makes this much easier, but canopies offer very good protection against that (but more players still prefer plain glass somehow).
I would think so myself, if i wasn't watching streamer consistantly being able to snipe cocpits SEIng he is doing that with no cheats or anything, and fighting against him AND having my cocpit sniped alot on PTu with many fights to see that happen.
I cannot snipe pilot, but there are defenetly players able to do that.
as for prefering plain glass over cocpits - cocpits have very few odd snap points and make it very hard to add extra layers.