Is space able to be claimed?

Basically the title
So, can we build space stations and "claim" a part of space? would the station be persistent? If so, is there a way to prevent it drifting off?
By claim I don't mean prevent building or any of that, but could it form some sort of exclusion zone? where it shoots other entities based on a whitelist or blacklist?
Just wondering for the future if I can set up a base for me and my mates.

XenoCow

Master endo
If so, is there a way to prevent it drifting off?
I don't know if there have been any details about how the station building will function from a meta level like area claiming etc. However, I do know that stations won't float away on you. All the stations and moons and asteroids are stationary. The sun spins around the whole system.

where it shoots other entities based on a whitelist or blacklist?
There probably won't be any sort of automated turrets unless you can program them yourself (or buy/borrow) with YOLOL. Even then, targeting with a minimum 1/5 second delay is a huge challenge.

Like Xenocow said, yes, you can make your own stations. That should come to the closed alpha in a few weeks, so be sure to watch for that!

MoneylooJr

Well-known endo
Making your own station is the closest you can get to "claiming" space. Built stations project a safe zone that lets their owners restrict what can and can't be done in its confines and who can or can't do these things. So yeah, you and your mates could definitely make a nice base without worrying about anyone blowing it up overnight (although fairer station raiding is planned).

As for exclusion zones, well, you could try to enforce an exclusion zone with patrols. Right now, there are no drones or automated turrets (and there are no plans for these to be added anyways; these will only happen if the players work out how to build them), so you'd need to use real players. And even then, I'm not really sure how long you could even hold space. You'd need a pretty big faction to keep an area under your control like that. The closest you could get would probably be to make a very useful station like a public and neutral trade station, that way people will be less inclined to blow it up and maybe even more inclined to protecting it. But at that point, it's not really just your base anymore, is it? Maybe you could make multiple stations around the area you want to claim, but we don't know how station proximity limits will work and it takes a lot of time to make even just one station.

TLDR: You can claim space by building stations, which will make for mostly safe bases. You could try to make an exclusion zone with player patrols, several stations, or being useful enough to deter people from breaking your things but most of these tactics are difficult (and excluding patrols, aren't confirmed to even work.)

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
Making your own station is the closest you can get to "claiming" space. Built stations project a safe zone that lets their owners restrict what can and can't be done in its confines and who can or can't do these things. So yeah, you and your mates could definitely make a nice base without worrying about anyone blowing it up overnight (although fairer station raiding is planned).

As for exclusion zones, well, you could try to enforce an exclusion zone with patrols. Right now, there are no drones or automated turrets (and there are no plans for these to be added anyways; these will only happen if the players work out how to build them), so you'd need to use real players. And even then, I'm not really sure how long you could even hold space. You'd need a pretty big faction to keep an area under your control like that. The closest you could get would probably be to make a very useful station like a public and neutral trade station, that way people will be less inclined to blow it up and maybe even more inclined to protecting it. But at that point, it's not really just your base anymore, is it? Maybe you could make multiple stations around the area you want to claim, but we don't know how station proximity limits will work and it takes a lot of time to make even just one station.

TLDR: You can claim space by building stations, which will make for mostly safe bases. You could try to make an exclusion zone with player patrols, several stations, or being useful enough to deter people from breaking your things but most of these tactics are difficult (and excluding patrols, aren't confirmed to even work.)
Some corrections: We don't know what the requirement to put up a safezone is. From the dev videos, it seemed like only big stations were planned to be allowed to have SZs. Safezones are quite controversial and are still up in the air even in the dev office :D

CalenLoki

Master endo
Afaik initially all the stations will have impenetrable SZ. Until we get some siege mechanics.

After that I believe that all stations will be protected from offline griefing. With bigger stations requiring more effort to take it down for siege. And of course having bigger SZ.

Gknees

Well-known endo
Basically the title
So, can we build space stations and "claim" a part of space? would the station be persistent? If so, is there a way to prevent it drifting off?
By claim I don't mean prevent building or any of that, but could it form some sort of exclusion zone? where it shoots other entities based on a whitelist or blacklist?
Just wondering for the future if I can set up a base for me and my mates.
i can sell you a piece of space only for 9.99