Leveling System/Tech Tree?

SubtleSloth

Well-known endo
Since SB is going to be an MMO, I, along with a lot of others are probably wondering how/if there will be a leveling system or some kind of tech/progression tree in place.

If there is a plan for this, what will it look like? Will it be based on which aspect of gameplay we are talking about (FPS, ship building, economy)?

If a leveling system will be in place, besides the obvious weapon upgrades, will it give a higher level person a significant advantage over some lowly nub? Will there be level requirements for gear/weapons?

Will there be some kind of perk system? Something that adds a certain % to a weapon’s damage or some kind of economy or production boost?

If this topic has been covered before, someone please point me in the right direction since I can’t really see how someone hasn’t asked this kind of question before 😁

I believe that there simply won't be such a system. This is basically just a sandbox space sim MMO, so progression is really just based on the resources, infrastructure, and engineering that a player controls and has access to. Even the weapon modules are really just a component of design. It's not like you have to unlock them or anything.

cranky corvid

Well-known endo
^ That. No such system has ever been mentioned (and the developers are very talkative on the Discord). The progression is in gaining wealth, getting better at the game, engineering better systems, and getting organized.

Croomar

Learned-to-sprint endo
When I first told friends about Starbase, they were deterred a bit by the term "MMO"
Their reasoning was that as a casual player, you can't catch up to hardcore players in level and thus you're always at a disadvantage.
Upon hearing that I told them that this may be true to some extent for Starbase, but due to entirely different factors. An "MMO" is not equal to "MMORPG" for which levels and progression would be natural, but only due to their RPG elements, not because it's a multiplayer game. As for Starbase, it describes itself only as "space-MMO" but has no mentions of any RPG elements. I wouldn't expect any kind of progression as the sandbox part takes that over.

Last edited:

SubtleSloth

Well-known endo
When I first told friends about Starbase, they were deterred a bit by the term "MMO"
Their reasoning was that as a casual player, you can't catch up to hardcore players in level and thus you're always at a disadvantage.
Upon hearing that I told them that this may be true to some extent for Starbase, but due to entirely different factors. An "MMO" is not equal to "MMORPG" for which levels and progression would be natural, but only due to their RPG elements, not because it's a multiplayer game. As for Starbase, it describes itself only as "space-MMO" but has no mentions of any RPG elements. I wouldn't expect any kind of progression as the sandbox part takes that part over.
Thanks for this bud, never really thought about it that way honestly. 😁 I would argue though that EVE isn’t really an RPG and still has a progression system. I love EVE, but I honestly think I will enjoy the SB style of gameplay better because of a lack of a progression system in some ways.

Just like real life... you don't need any skills if you have the moneyyys.
But most people who have money, have some sort of skill friend. 😉

Burnside

Master endo
there's no real room for stats to be leveled, thus no reason to have level progressions or class specs, Starbase is one of the gear-centeric MMOs as opposed to traditional character-centric RPGs- at best you can modifiy your character stats with backpacks or the idea of a heavy endo meant for infantry use and tanking

SubtleSloth

Well-known endo
there's no real room for stats to be leveled, thus no reason to have level progressions or class specs, Starbase is one of the gear-centeric MMOs as opposed to traditional character-centric RPGs- at best you can modifiy your character stats with backpacks or the idea of a heavy endo meant for infantry use and tanking
Even the idea of having gear raise some kind of character stats would be great. There are a lot of armor slots on the Endos, having the armor do something other than add armor would be neat, since you can customize each slot, you can mix and match what you want your armor slot to accomplish. Not sure if the characters will actually have ‘Stats’ that you can see, but it would be nice. Even if you can’t directly raise them by leveling. I think they said there are 19 armor sets in the game so far or something like that, I may have misheard while watching the video, but that’s a lot of different combinations to be had. The stats don’t just have to be for combat either; they could have a merchant set that could add market pricing discounts or less taxes (to an extent), or a mining set or whatever that would boost mining yield somehow.

I feel like I will enjoy the game regardless of stats or progression trees or whatever, but having that next thing to look forward to whether that be a next level weapon or armor piece (maybe have armor and weapon upgrades?), or stage in a perk or progression tree is IMO what keeps a lot of MMO players playing MMO’s, regardless of RPG status or not. Otherwise you are just playing spaceship builder tycoon, attempting to be the richest robot in the universe. The lack of a skill set or tree isn’t going to deter me from this game though, I’ve been looking for a new MMO for awhile, and a semi casual one where I don’t PVP my face off 24/7, and the fact that I can build ships with ridiculous amounts of engineering aspects involved is a huge deal for me 😁.

CalenLoki

Master endo
There is no leveling/upgrading as far as we know. And I'm very happy about it.

It's about how you use basic components, rather than to what you have access to.
The only hard in game progression is how many objects you have access to, and it's soft-limited by how much single player can effectively operate simultaneously.
Lack of viable combat automation and possibly small ship meta further shrink the gap between the rich and the poor, and leave more place for skill.

Also term RPG isn't inherently related to leveling. It's about playing the role, immersing in the game world, engaging in social interactions as a character, rather than as player.
The fact that some grindy hack'n'slash games title themselves "RPG" is just misleading.

Otac

Well-known endo
^ That. No such system has ever been mentioned (and the developers are very talkative on the Discord). The progression is in gaining wealth, getting better at the game, engineering better systems, and getting organized.
yeah i think that system is too old,and there is not much people decided to creat a new one

Considering that this game can simulate real society to a certain extent. It is true that we need to think carefully about this aspect. It involves programming such as YOLOL. Gameplay such as mathematics and physics that require automated design may not be very friendly to ordinary players. But this game does not have an NPC, so it is impossible for every player to go to be a boss and start a company. Instead, most players may be managed members.
Imagine how a person without any ability can live in society? Inevitably, we may not be able to surpass others in some areas, but we may be able to surpass others in a single area. Just like the competition between companies, seek product specialization, fill market gaps, and increase market share.

Otac

Well-known endo
Considering that this game can simulate real society to a certain extent. It is true that we need to think carefully about this aspect. It involves programming such as YOLOL. Gameplay such as mathematics and physics that require automated design may not be very friendly to ordinary players. But this game does not have an NPC, so it is impossible for every player to go to be a boss and start a company. Instead, most players may be managed members.
Imagine how a person without any ability can live in society? Inevitably, we may not be able to surpass others in some areas, but we may be able to surpass others in a single area. Just like the competition between companies, seek product specialization, fill market gaps, and increase market share.
yeah